Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vintage British bikes - why so often oversized?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Vintage British bikes - why so often oversized?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 04:07 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
This is how I ride. Very comfortable. 62cm frame and I am 6' tall.
Short top tube and low BB on this bike.
Old 05-08-13, 04:08 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
This is how I ride. Very comfortable. 62cm frame and I am 6' tall.
Short top tube and low BB on this bike.

Lovely.
Old 05-08-13, 04:45 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've ridden bikes with nominal frame sizes of 57, 60, 61, 24", and 63 cm. All of them fit about the same, except the 60. It was too big.
Old 05-08-13, 05:05 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Trying a French-ism fit on a more contemporary design before whacking the steerer tube off for my 'normal' 4-5CM drop.

So far so good, I kinda like it.
Measure thrice, cut once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0304.jpg (93.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-08-13, 06:20 PM
EdgewaterDude

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks really good and really comfortable.
Old 05-08-13, 07:33 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Trying a French-ism fit on a more contemporary design before whacking the steerer tube off for my 'normal' 4-5CM drop.

Nothing oversize looking about that! Seat post exposure looks perfectly normal to me.
Old 05-08-13, 10:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
...And why pray can one not strive for a sporty aero powerful riding position? Speed is power but most of all speed is aerodynamics. If you ride like mary poppins it's good bye to speed. A horizontal back will make one really fast. Assuming of course you can handle such a low position. Stretching stretching stretchin. And a saddle with a canal.
I don't know if this relates to what I wrote, but I believe that the limit of aero position is most likely hip flexibility, not necessarly the saddle-bar drop. Even with bars up closer to saddle height (say within 0-3 inches), bending elbows, use of deeper drops, etc. will get the position as low as the hips will allow. I totally agree with stretching - and of course getting the tiny muscles in the inner core tuned up.

Saddle w/ canal? Nah, not necessarily. For some, but there's a lot of good saddles that sit the body correctly and protect the fragile areas without canals. Mine for instance.
Old 05-09-13, 12:10 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I don't know if this relates to what I wrote, but I believe that the limit of aero position is most likely hip flexibility, not necessarly the saddle-bar drop. Even with bars up closer to saddle height (say within 0-3 inches), bending elbows, use of deeper drops, etc. will get the position as low as the hips will allow. I totally agree with stretching - and of course getting the tiny muscles in the inner core tuned up.

Saddle w/ canal? Nah, not necessarily. For some, but there's a lot of good saddles that sit the body correctly and protect the fragile areas without canals. Mine for instance.
I think one reason the pro's use large drops is because that the lower position allows aero even when they are chillin'. Lock your elbows, spin away, have a quick nap, chat with buddies or whatever. And if your hips can handle it it's as comfy as it gets down low. But you are right, hip flexibility effectively dictates how low you can go for longer periods of time.
But hip flexibility is something one can train. I went from touching the halfway of my shins to now occasionally touching my palms on the floor. That is a big thing for a dude whose inseam is half the bodylength.

Saddles can support you to a point when rotating the hips forward. But at some point there comes a moment when soft tissue starts taking more weight than the sitbones. Normally one does not need go lower, but for those who do want even lower positions a canal will come in handy. I started an earlier thread about the spesh romin I got a few days back which gave me some new perspective on saddles (and it got stolen a few days back which led me to try four different saddles in rapid succession while I'm waiting for a replacement, one of them a brooks)
Old 05-09-13, 03:42 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
- assuming you understand that elbows bend.
Have you seen most recreational riders? This is quite an assumption.
Old 05-09-13, 06:27 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My standard for aesthetics for a horizontal top tube bike is about "a fist" of seat tube.

"Standover" is a stupid criterion, mostly (imo) brought to road bikes by the mountain bike crowd. As is the aesthetic of long seat tubes.

Standover is fine if you can stop the bike, lean it over to put a foot on the ground and have some clearance when you keep the opposite foot on the pedal. You have absolutely no need to straddle the bike with both feet down and the bike straight upright.

Both of my horizontal (or nearly horizontal) top tube bikes have about a "fist" of seat tube showing, and I have about an inch (at the max) of clearance over the top tube, flat footed, bike vertical - wearing my bike shorts and bike shoes. When I actually stop the bike, lean over and put a foot down, I have several inches of clearance.

Then saddle-bar drop.... what a mess. The old standard, for almost all riders, even racers, was handlebars at about saddle height, maybe 1-3 inches below (say 0-7 cm of drop). Comfort was achieved riding on the tops or hoods, and "aero" was achieved by using bent elbows and/or normal/deep drops. The body was able to get into the same position of horizontal back as with undersized frames. The above frame sizing benchmarks also achieved a head tube that was high enough to get the bars up within that high/low range.

Nowadays, frames are smallish, headtubes are correspondingly smallish, stems are longish, and handlebars are shallow because the position on the tops is so low that hardly anyone can use deeper drops. But the body doesn't get any lower - a body can only flex so much at the hips regardless of whether you achieve it with low drops and bent elbows or shallow drops and less bent elbows. Higher handlebars with deeper drops gives you a substantially greater range for comfort as well as race position - assuming you understand that elbows bend.

Bike fit and aesthetics for the recreational rider is nuts nowadays. THEY'RE NOT MOUNTAIN BIKES FOLKS!! YOU'RE NOT AN EURO-PRO RACER!!
It's more logistics and economy of scale. You can fit a wider range of people on a sloping top tube compact geometry frame. That is the single reason for the wide adoption of tall seat posts.

My bikes, the geometry between the 3 body-contact points are the same. The flat top tube has 4 spacers under the stem, and a stubby 60mm turned up stem, and a fist of seat post showing. The sloping top tube is completely different in appearance... same reach, saddle-bar drop, saddle-crank alignment. Also worth mentioning it's steering is less twitchy and more controlled.

Old 05-09-13, 06:48 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Back in the early '80s a colleague from the UK came for the first time to work with us in Houston and brought his bike with him. I saw immediately that it was about 4 cm larger than a US shop would have fitted him with. In response to our constant razzing, he finally sold it and built up a frame his "proper" size. I subsequently learned he did a lot of light touring back home and had another frame there similarly oversized. Over the years I have seen one British bike after another with very little seat post showing, suggesting to me the same oversized fit for their riders. I have concluded that UK cyclists must attempt to obtain the effect of the taller head tube we now associate with long ride comfort on compact geometry frames by upsizing and using a shorter reach stem with traditional geometry.

I had always thought there must be a separate category of bikes with these features built into the design and overlong seat tubes shouldn't be necessary. Certainly I would have thought that any custom frame could have been designed for a less aggressive fit. Besides, I would imagine that standover must be a problem with the oversize strategy. Ouch! Not to mention how unsightly the appearance is (according to our aesthetic standards). In light of what we now know about compact geometry, sloping seat tubes, and tall head tubes, the whole thing seems rather naïve. Assuming no one had thought of the sloping seat tube back in the day, was the idea of just building up the head tube significantly above the horizontal seat tube also never pursued as a superior approach? Or even just the most obvious solution of very tall stems?

Then we come to the question of why this fit approach persists today in the UK. Is it just a lot of really old bikes still being ridden. Or do things just change really slowly there.

Robert
I ride the exact fit you write about Robert. To me, it is the 'correct' fit. Year's ago...I have been riding a long time...cyclists seemed to ride larger bikes relative to their body size. This is the whole premise of a French fit. The essence of a comfort or endurance geometry is just as you write Robert...it is Up and Out and not handlebar position Down and In as in vogue today...largely borne out of 6 sigma (outliar BMI, flexibility and fitness) pro racers average Joe wants to emulate. With a Roubaix geometry you can have a British or French fit BUT with increased standover by sloping top tube...which also builds more compliance into the seat post with a longer length. I give kudos to Specialized R&D for creating the Roubaix style bike which has spawned a whole new generation of road bikes that make more sense for the average rider. Many quit road biking needlessly because they can't tolerate an aggressive position with a square geometry bike.

Last edited by Campag4life; 05-09-13 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-09-13, 06:59 AM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think people forget that even though the bars are even with the saddle, you can still get in the aero position if you want to.
Old 05-09-13, 07:26 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
I think people forget that even though the bars are even with the saddle, you can still get in the aero position if you want to.
Absolutely. I can get almost a flat back in the drops with bent arms. Also, virtually everybody that I ride with ride with more drop. There is nothing between us in speed. I also believe that I have less fatigue as the ride gets closer to 50 miles. Lastly, I find the drops much more usable and comfortable with a longer head tube. As a result, I ride in the drops a lot.
Old 05-09-13, 07:34 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Campag4life
I ride the exact fit you write about Robert. To me, it is the 'correct' fit. Year's ago...I have been riding a long time...cyclists seemed to ride larger bikes relative to their body size. This is the whole premise of a French fit. The essence of a comfort or endurance geometry is just as you write Robert...it is Up and Out and not handlebar position Down and In as in vogue today...largely borne out of 6 sigma (outliar BMI, flexibility and fitness) pro racers average Joe wants to emulate. With a Roubaix geometry you can have a British or French fit BUT with increased standover by sloping top tube...which also builds more compliance into the seat post with a longer length. I give kudos to Specialized R&D for creating the Roubaix style bike which has spawned a whole new generation of road bikes that make more sense for the average rider. Many quit road biking needlessly because they can't tolerate an aggressive position with a square geometry bike.
Patience is such a virtue! I knew if I waited long enough, you would come into this conversation, and I could discuss the issue with someone who has both historical and current experience with it.

What I was really getting at was that there must have been more elegant ways of building frames even back in the day to provide (okay, let's call it) French Fit besides just upsizing. Even in the absence of the sloping top tube epiphany. Lengthening the top tube without lengthening the seat tube is really not a problem; it is easy. What about building up a taller head tube (connecting the horizontal top tube lower on a taller head tube)? Did no one ever do that. Or just using a taller stem which was easily available back then. I was just wondering why the only solution was upsizing the whole frame and giving up stand over and (as far as I am concerned) aesthetics. Or was upsizing just the readily available, ready-made, off-the-rack solution, and that is why we see so much of it? Oops. Did I just answer my own question?
Old 05-09-13, 07:37 AM
rpenmanparker 

Absolutely. I can get almost a flat back in the drops with bent arms. Also, virtually everybody that I ride with ride with more drop. There is nothing between us in speed. I also believe that I have less fatigue as the ride gets closer to 50 miles. Lastly, I find the drops much more usable and comfortable with a longer head tube. As a result, I ride in the drops a lot.
And although we disagree about deep drop bars, that is why I like them. I have the tops and hoods only a couple of cm below the saddle for more relaxed riding and a deep drop position for situations when I need that. As far as I am concerned, that is the best of both worlds.
Old 05-09-13, 07:55 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was just wondering why the only solution was upsizing the whole frame and giving up stand over and (as far as I am concerned) aesthetics. Or was upsizing just the readily available, ready-made, off-the-rack solution, and that is why we see so much of it? Oops. Did I just answer my own question?
No, you just have it backwards. These frames were not "upsized", they were the right size. It would be just as valid - more so, since they were later on the scene - to argue that the modern fashion is for "downsized" frames. Standover height is unimportant - in any event, I've always been able to stand over a traditional geometry bike (bottom brackets tended to be lower); and as for aesthetics, that is entirely a matter of what you are used to. To my eyes, these bikes look much, much more elegant than my carbon TCR advanced.
Old 05-09-13, 08:09 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by chasm54
and as for aesthetics, that is entirely a matter of what you are used to. To my eyes, these bikes look much, much more elegant than my carbon TCR advanced.
True. To me the french fit style bike is a horrid sight that should never have seen daylight. Modern bikes are cool and the more aero the frame the better it looks. Then again I'm probably 20-30 years younger than the average age of this forum.

But for reference, I don't feel comfy if I'm too upright. Bars level with the saddle is way too upright for me. Atm my drop is 5 inches with a shallow drop bar and it feels perfect. I don't use the drops much. For me they are for downhills, sprints and headwinds. The sram apex hoods are so nice I don't really appreciate the drops that much. But I can relate to older people who started out with bad hoods and using the drops was the norm.

It's what you get used to
Old 05-09-13, 08:15 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
And although we disagree about deep drop bars, that is why I like them. I have the tops and hoods only a couple of cm below the saddle for more relaxed riding and a deep drop position for situations when I need that. As far as I am concerned, that is the best of both worlds.
You may like them Robert, but keep in mind old conventions die out for a reason...a sea change in sentiment about evolving technology. Compact bars are embraced because they are preferred...including flat bar tops I also prefer that some still do not.
Old 05-09-13, 08:20 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
True. To me the french fit style bike is a horrid sight that should never have seen daylight. Modern bikes are cool and the more aero the frame the better it looks. Then again I'm probably 20-30 years younger than the average age of this forum.

But for reference, I don't feel comfy if I'm too upright. Bars level with the saddle is way too upright for me. Atm my drop is 5 inches with a shallow drop bar and it feels perfect. I don't use the drops much. For me they are for downhills, sprints and headwinds. The sram apex hoods are so nice I don't really appreciate the drops that much. But I can relate to older people who started out with bad hoods and using the drops was the norm.

It's what you get used to
While I agree with much that you write and even that a big drop bike has a sexier aesthetic...what people prefer isn't because of what they get used to. People try different set ups and choose what works best. Quite right...you won't see many upright Roubaixs among pros...and we agree that older riders in particular benefit from a more upright position. Keep in mind a road bike with big drop like you have in the bike universe is an anomaly....well to the right of the bell curve. The vast majority of bicycles sold in the world have the handlebars at least level with the saddle as in the case of mtb's...or well above for dutch style bikes. You may prefer your 'outliar' set up in the bike universe...but it is just that.
Old 05-09-13, 08:31 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Patience is such a virtue! I knew if I waited long enough, you would come into this conversation, and I could discuss the issue with someone who has both historical and current experience with it.

What I was really getting at was that there must have been more elegant ways of building frames even back in the day to provide (okay, let's call it) French Fit besides just upsizing. Even in the absence of the sloping top tube epiphany. Lengthening the top tube without lengthening the seat tube is really not a problem; it is easy. What about building up a taller head tube (connecting the horizontal top tube lower on a taller head tube)? Did no one ever do that. Or just using a taller stem which was easily available back then. I was just wondering why the only solution was upsizing the whole frame and giving up stand over and (as far as I am concerned) aesthetics. Or was upsizing just the readily available, ready-made, off-the-rack solution, and that is why we see so much of it? Oops. Did I just answer my own question?
I am a bit time limited to give you a long response today...but...a couple of things. Many...and this is changing because new aesthetics are rarely embraced...many believe sloping top tube are inelegant. Further...a longer seat tube with less seatpost is stronger...tho the triangle maybe fractionally weaker. Many years ago rode bikes that pressed hard into their perineum in cycling shoes. A 'hand full' of seat post was the racing norm back when and many ran less for greater comfort in peril of their private area. I believe for perspective you have to step away from the road bike world and look at the entire bike universe. Most bikes have a higher handlebar. Many road bikers yearned for a higher handlebar and why they would compromise their standover with such a tall frame. So demand met supply with Roubaix genre bikes as tech marched forward. Carbon fiber made this partly possible...or at least promoted it.
Old 05-09-13, 08:31 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by chasm54
No, you just have it backwards. These frames were not "upsized", they were the right size. It would be just as valid - more so, since they were later on the scene - to argue that the modern fashion is for "downsized" frames. Standover height is unimportant - in any event, I've always been able to stand over a traditional geometry bike (bottom brackets tended to be lower); and as for aesthetics, that is entirely a matter of what you are used to. To my eyes, these bikes look much, much more elegant than my carbon TCR advanced.
This is definitely an "agree to disagree" situation. That's fine with me. I would appeal to your sense of moderation, however. Whenever anything is slammed e.g. saddle sitting on the top tube, stem sitting on the headset, I feel it looks misfit. I like the look of room to go up or down. And another thing. You keep saying standover height is unimportant, and that is true right up to the point where it suddenly is important. In traditional frames I always have ridden a 54 cm c-to-c frame with about 5 inches of seat post showing. The top tube has always felt just right at that height. I can't imagine it being closer to my crotch. I like to stand over the bike with both feet on the ground when waiting for a riding partner to show up, or having a drink at a rest stop, etc. I couldn't do that with a significantly larger frame. Then I have always run a quill stem at maximum safe height, and together that gave me just a few cm of drop. If I needed less drop and/or more reach, I would have bought a taller and perhaps slightly longer quill stem, not a larger frame. Sorry, and here is the agree to disagree part, when the saddle is slammed or nearly slammed, it looks to me like a hand-me-down bike from the rider's bigger brother. Please understand, I am not denigrating French Fit which I wholeheartedy approve of, just the inelegant way of accomplishing it by choosing a larger frame.
Old 05-09-13, 08:33 AM
rpenmanparker 

You may like them Robert, but keep in mind old conventions die out for a reason...a sea change in sentiment about evolving technology. Compact bars are embraced because they are preferred...including flat bar tops I also prefer that some still do not.
No doubt.
Old 05-09-13, 08:59 AM
elcruxio

While I agree with much that you write and even that a big drop bike has a sexier aesthetic...what people prefer isn't because of what they get used to. People try different set ups and choose what works best. Quite right...you won't see many upright Roubaixs among pros...and we agree that older riders in particular benefit from a more upright position. Keep in mind a road bike with big drop like you have in the bike universe is an anomaly....well to the right of the bell curve. The vast majority of bicycles sold in the world have the handlebars at least level with the saddle as in the case of mtb's...or well above for dutch style bikes. You may prefer your 'outliar' set up in the bike universe...but it is just that.
Well yes if you consider it like that, but in that case even a decent road bike is an anomaly. The massive majority of bikes sold are just normal bikes for everyday use. The variations are endless. But if we keep the discussion within the road bike spectrum, having the tops lower than the saddle is not an anomaly. It's quite normal actually. I agree, my position might be a bit extreme, but you have to look at it in context. I'm 195cm (6'4" or closer to 6'5") tall so I can handle such a massive drop. But I am by definiton already pretty right on the bell curve.
Someone shorter than me, with more traditional proportions should not even consider such a drop.

If you look at ye olde road bikes and pro riders, the thing I notice is, that their tops were pretty level with the saddles, but they had seriously deep drops and the riders tended to ride a lot on the drops. If I compare the bikes Eddy Mercx rode with my bike, I notice that his drops are pretty much at the same level as mine or even lower. So what really is dfferent is just the contrast between the tops and drops and not the actual back angle or riding height.

I look at the pro riders for inspiration. Had I been a cognizing personality in the 70's or the 80's I might think differently, but as I have found the joys of watching pro cycling on the 2000 era, I do think lower is better, at least for those who can manage it. And so far going low has not been such a big challenge. My back angle is good, my hip angle is healthy and open and I feel stronger than ever on the bike. I think I could possibly do 40km over one hour if given the right gear (Yeah, the aero stuff and the works. In the end it's the small things) and my back only gets sore when my postural muscles shut down (and that is a topic for an another thread)

Sorry, I really try to be more analytical and rational than this, but a few bears can make anyone anecdotal. Peace out!
Old 05-09-13, 09:27 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Well yes if you consider it like that, but in that case even a decent road bike is an anomaly. The massive majority of bikes sold are just normal bikes for everyday use. The variations are endless. But if we keep the discussion within the road bike spectrum, having the tops lower than the saddle is not an anomaly. It's quite normal actually. I agree, my position might be a bit extreme, but you have to look at it in context. I'm 195cm (6'4" or closer to 6'5") tall so I can handle such a massive drop. But I am by definiton already pretty right on the bell curve.
Someone shorter than me, with more traditional proportions should not even consider such a drop.

If you look at ye olde road bikes and pro riders, the thing I notice is, that their tops were pretty level with the saddles, but they had seriously deep drops and the riders tended to ride a lot on the drops. If I compare the bikes Eddy Mercx rode with my bike, I notice that his drops are pretty much at the same level as mine or even lower. So what really is dfferent is just the contrast between the tops and drops and not the actual back angle or riding height.

I look at the pro riders for inspiration. Had I been a cognizing personality in the 70's or the 80's I might think differently, but as I have found the joys of watching pro cycling on the 2000 era, I do think lower is better, at least for those who can manage it. And so far going low has not been such a big challenge. My back angle is good, my hip angle is healthy and open and I feel stronger than ever on the bike. I think I could possibly do 40km over one hour if given the right gear (Yeah, the aero stuff and the works. In the end it's the small things) and my back only gets sore when my postural muscles shut down (and that is a topic for an another thread)

Sorry, I really try to be more analytical and rational than this, but a few bears can make anyone anecdotal. Peace out!
I think you are analytical enough and nothing wrong with a few beers if it sparks healthy dialog. I believe you make several good points in fact and the thing that is irrevocable is the truth...what people ride doesn't lie. 5" is a lot of drop but in the context of your 95% height, not quite so much as you say. The great Lance Armstrong who is a lot smaller than you and even me rode less than 3" of drop his entire career and it served him pretty well in spite of all the crappy things he did to other fellow cyclists. I believe the point is...and I have learned this maybe later in life, is each one of us tend to view though our personal lens. The reality is, each of us are different and sometimes radically different, in fitness, body proportion, flexibility, weight, strength and even mentality that affects how aggressively we ride. All these things influence set up so just like there is a bell curve associated to rider height and leg length, stands to reason there will be every fit un the sun. If you take me as an aging cyclist, I can ride 5" of drop and I maybe fastest on that bike in a short ride and a sprint. But it will quickly break my body down. I even have the hip flexibility...but not so much lumbar and certainly not neck...so I will incur pain after 20 miles or so. When I was 20, I could ride that fit 100 miles as you can. Cheers.
Old 05-09-13, 09:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera

Looks great to me -- you should be able to ride comfortably in any position and still get fairly aero when you want.

Yep, you've got it. People used to ride larger frames and spent more time in the drops -- now they're on smaller frames and on the hoods (which weren't always so comfortable ) most of the time now. Similar positioning in the end.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.