Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

question about Bicycle shirts/jerseys

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-17, 07:50 AM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 5'9" medium build and between 240-250, and most of my weight is in my belly. Do any of you wear bicycle jerseys and if so, what brand do you wear that fits comfortably? Right now I tend to wear synthetic shirts from Target or WalMart.
Old 06-04-17, 08:46 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Hit a Performance Bike and try on a few, they have fitting rooms.

Highly recommend a mesh undershirt, as it helps wick sweat away from places where the skin overlaps.
Old 06-04-17, 09:00 AM
Garilia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner

Highly recommend a mesh undershirt, as it helps wick sweat away from places where the skin overlaps.
You know, until today I did not realize there's a Performance Bike store in my metro area. There's one in Ft. Lauderdale about 25 miles away. I'll check them out
Old 06-04-17, 07:50 PM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For jerseys:

LOVE2PEDAL Bicycle Shorts and Cycling Jerseys from Primal, Falconi

Cycling Apparel, Bike Shorts, Bike Jerseys by Aero Tech Designs
Old 06-05-17, 04:57 AM
Garilia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the links. I'll check those out.
Old 06-05-17, 07:10 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner

I have three. Craft, Pearl Izumi, and Bontrager. I like the Craft the best, with the Pearl a close second. The Bontrager works well, but the fabric doesn't stretch as much and thus is a bit less comfortable.
Old 06-05-17, 07:12 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Garilia
I am 5'9" medium build and between 240-250, and most of my weight is in my belly. Do any of you wear bicycle jerseys and if so, what brand do you wear that fits comfortably? Right now I tend to wear synthetic shirts from Target or WalMart.
Bontrager Solstice. Loose fit, almost fits like a T Shirt. Primal, but only if you size up a couple of sizes. Pearl Izumi, size XXL.
Old 06-05-17, 03:35 PM
Moriarty

Bikes: 2011 Trek Allant, 1990(?) Miele Tivoli Road Issue, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 2000 Kona Hahanna

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aero Tech Designs (Cycling Apparel, Bike Shorts, Bike Jerseys by Aero Tech Designs). They do large size clothing that actually fits large size people. I love their jerseys. Before I made the leap to wearing cycling jerseys, I didn't mind Old Navy exercise shirts. Nothing special but cheap and durable.
Old 06-09-17, 03:02 PM
Garilia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to my local (30 miles away) Performance Bikes today and Picked up this shirt for $19. The Club/team style jerseys are still too tight on me, and with my huge belly, just not comfortable or a good look. I'm too self conscious to wear form fitting clothes yet.
Old 06-09-17, 03:10 PM
Garilia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Aerotech sold in stores? I didn't see the brand at Performance today.
Old 06-09-17, 03:50 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
this may be unconventional and not 100% as aerodynamic: I use this Construction site high-vis shirt and cost about $30. I use a smaller size for it being more aerodynamic (I have an M and usually have XL). your local Farm&Fleet, or other hardware or safety clothes store has them.
Main reason is it is inexpensive and has OSHA rated reflection and also the airy wicking material. (I'm the guy that also uses daylight running lights). You can get them without he M3 stripes for $23 (just yellow then).
bonus it does not have weird advertisement on it (don't like to look like I'm at the tour de France unless i get paid to wear some company's name)
Old 06-09-17, 04:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
for commuting I get bright wicking tshirts from eastbay.

for longer rides I like the bike specific features (long trail, pockets) Voler is good option Voler Store Cycling Apparel Browse: sale,mens

Old 06-09-17, 11:05 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Another +1 for Aerotech.

Be aware that there are different cuts for cycling shirts so even in the same brand an XL in one line might not fit the same way as an XL in another. Race cut is a tapered close-fitting cut. Club cut is a more generous cut for those of us who don't have pro racer bodies. Sport cut is somewhere in between. Some companies may use different terms but most have at least three basic cuts to choose from.

I'm a larger rider and in addition to Primal and Aerotech, have had good luck with LG's club fit.
Old 06-10-17, 07:48 AM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We seem to be about the same size. I have found Voler to be a good option with good prices.
Old 06-10-17, 11:44 AM
Garilia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
this may be unconventional and not 100% as aerodynamic: I use this Construction site high-vis shirt and cost about $30. I use a smaller size for it being more aerodynamic (I have an M and usually have XL). your local Farm&Fleet, or other hardware or safety clothes store has them.
Main reason is it is inexpensive and has OSHA rated reflection and also the airy wicking material. (I'm the guy that also uses daylight running lights). You can get them without he M3 stripes for $23 (just yellow then).
bonus it does not have weird advertisement on it (don't like to look like I'm at the tour de France unless i get paid to wear some company's name)
I found this link on another thread in a different forum section, but that one wasn't geared to big or heavy people. But this is a good link and cheaper than $30/shirt

SAFETY SHIRTS & SWEAT SHIRTS - 99¢ LOGO SALE
Old 06-12-17, 08:57 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moriarty
Aero Tech Designs (Cycling Apparel, Bike Shorts, Bike Jerseys by Aero Tech Designs). They do large size clothing that actually fits large size people. I love their jerseys. Before I made the leap to wearing cycling jerseys, I didn't mind Old Navy exercise shirts. Nothing special but cheap and durable.

someone here gave me one of their Jerseys and I've been really impressed, I ordered a pair of their bibs some time back and while they didn't fit me correctly (chamios on most brands tend to be in the wrong position for some reason) they where also very high quality... on the Jersey I really like the fit and that it has a full zipper... I have a few syntetic generic workout shirts and at some point I picked up a cannondale jersey from nashbar for cheap... having a proper jersey is nice just to have the shirt tail actually cover you a little more plus you can toss something into the back pockets...
Old 06-13-17, 06:45 AM
Garilia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely like the look of the aerotech jerseys for big/colossal guys. I will most likely order one later this summer.
Old 06-13-17, 09:40 PM
Fremdchen

Bikes: 2007 Fuji hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Fat Lad At The Back for some charming, self-deprecating British humor w/ your jersey. Also for Lasses...

https://fatladattheback.com/
Old 06-14-17, 08:37 AM
fp64

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the $10 Walmart shirts. Not interested in paying $$$ for pockets
Old 06-14-17, 09:25 AM
Knet

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garilia
I definitely like the look of the aerotech jerseys for big/colossal guys. I will most likely order one later this summer.
I'll add my vote to AeroTech, I have a couple of their shorts and jerseys. Good stuff and a good fit for bigger guys.
Old 06-20-17, 08:02 AM
racer83l

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for this thread. I just ordered a jersey, shorts, and gloves from aerotech. I'm on Long Island they are in PA so shipping should be quick. BTW, my 1st post.
Old 06-20-17, 09:59 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fremdchen
Check out Fat Lad At The Back for some charming, self-deprecating British humor w/ your jersey. Also for Lasses...

https://fatladattheback.com/
I just placed my first order with them ... I've been making due with one kit for this year so I'm past due for a second. Will share my thoughts and impressions when I receive my order. Love the cheeky British humor of it
Old 06-27-17, 11:12 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So I got my FLAB kit yesterday. Ordered it June 20, arrived six days later. Not bad from across the pond to Wisconsin.

I'm 6'3, right around 300 right now and heading down. I emailed them with a size question on their jerseys and they were quick to reply. Suggested I order the 52, so I did. I also ordered a pair of bibs, in their size 7, which corresponds to a 42-44. The bibs fit ok ... but they're not as snug as my Pearl Izumi's in an XXL, and I like the PIs because they're snug. That said, on my ride today I had no problems with the FLAB bibs. I went with the Ey Up bibs in black, which is their lowest price offering (though, looking at the website now the link to those bibs is dead?).

Anywho, the jersey fits well, though when I first tried it on I felt like I had ordered too small. The jersey's are definitely a bigger cut, but there's no flap in this jersey. It's snug, but not sausage casing snug, and as I rode with it today I got more and more comfortable with it. I would imagine as I lose more weight I'll be even more happy with it. FWIW, I got the "Lanterne Rouge" jersey ... and I rather enjoy the humor in it, as well as the Fat Lad at the Back branding.

All in all, I would definitely order from them again, and likely will before the season is over.
Old 06-27-17, 11:21 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by ill.clyde
So I got my FLAB kit yesterday. Ordered it June 20, arrived six days later. Not bad from across the pond to Wisconsin.

I'm 6'3, right around 300 right now and heading down. I emailed them with a size question on their jerseys and they were quick to reply. Suggested I order the 52, so I did. I also ordered a pair of bibs, in their size 7, which corresponds to a 42-44. The bibs fit ok ... but they're not as snug as my Pearl Izumi's in an XXL, and I like the PIs because they're snug. That said, on my ride today I had no problems with the FLAB bibs. I went with the Ey Up bibs in black, which is their lowest price offering (though, looking at the website now the link to those bibs is dead?).

Anywho, the jersey fits well, though when I first tried it on I felt like I had ordered too small. The jersey's are definitely a bigger cut, but there's no flap in this jersey. It's snug, but not sausage casing snug, and as I rode with it today I got more and more comfortable with it. I would imagine as I lose more weight I'll be even more happy with it. FWIW, I got the "Lanterne Rouge" jersey ... and I rather enjoy the humor in it, as well as the Fat Lad at the Back branding.

All in all, I would definitely order from them again, and likely will before the season is over.
So quality wise, how does it compare to the other brands of jersey you own?
Old 06-27-17, 11:25 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
great question ... I'd say the quality is on par or even better than others I own. I have one Nashbar jersey that I really like, and the FLAB jersey is definitely a little better. The FLAB jersey beats the rest of the jerseys I have hands down. No quality issues here, provided they hold up to use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.