Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1980 SuperLeg - Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 09:10 AM
sodbuster72

Bikes: '85 Bianchi Sport SS, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1980 SuperLeg - Too good to be true?

Hello Virtual Friends,
I have been lurking here for sometime, gathering information. I'll give a little background information here as a means of introduction. I'm 45, I am 6'6" and close to 300#. In spite of what you might think from the latter number, I'm a pretty active person. When I've lived in areas with a competition pool available, I've been an active swimmer - sometimes logging more than 1,000,000 yards of pretty intense work per year. I've only been an occasional cyclist. I used to have a '99 Specialized Allez that I bought new. I had to switch out wheels because I kept busting spokes. This was all fine after I had a wheel with 32 metal spokes. Anyhow, I rode that bike quite a bit - did metric centuries a couple of times, and then moved to a place where riding on roads was quite a bit less safe. All of the little plastic parts inside the brifters went bad, and I wanted to ride again a couple of years ago. I contacted the LBS and was told that replacing the brifters would run $650 or something. I didn't think it was worth spending that on a several year old entry-level bike, so I sold it and found a Bianchi Sport SS, which I really like. I ride it around almost solely for exercise. I live in a rural area where it is reasonably safe to take it on the road. I ride three or four times a week, usually 15-20 miles, rolling about 17 or 18 pace. My longest recent ride was 31 miles, and I average about 60 miles per week. So that's the kind of riding I do. I'm trying to exercise and drop a few pounds and stay in some kind of shape. The Sport SS is absolutely fine for that and I really like it. It's simple enough that I'm not going to have to dump $650 in it to keep it rolling, and in a pinch, I can do some work on it myself (there really is no LBS - the "local" shop is 45 minutes away by car).
I have been more or less converted to Bianchi, though, and I have learned a lot about some of the classic models by listening to some exceptionally well informed contributors to this forum, which brings me here today. I recently saw this on the Bay Area CL a couple of days ago. From what I have already learned, it seems like an excellent price for a bike of this quality. Other than the fact that a 63cm bike would likely serve be better than a 59cm, this looks like it would be a pretty darned good deal. Am I missing something here? Is there anything that you Bianchi experts notice that appears to be misidentified in the advertisement? As far as the size, I could just go hop on the bike and see if it would work, but Sunnyvale is a couple of hours away from me. I'd rather not drive all the way up there if something is not legit about the ad (i.e. they've mis-identified the model, or something is afoul with the component parts).
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Text of ad: This is a one-of-a-kind top of the line Bianchi Super Leggera frame set built with Campagnolo Record components (pedals are NOT INCLUDED). It was in the first shipment when Bianchi began to re-import to the US from Italy around 1980. Size is approx. 59 cm. The frame set is unique with its chrome lugs and right chain stay. This bike was a favorite in the Tour de France of that era (it is totally neutral steering and is an amazing climber!). A great deal! ($550)

Last edited by sodbuster72; 05-17-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 09:13 AM
sodbuster72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are the pics, I'm having a hard time getting the site software to allow them. They're being recognized as "links," which I'm apparently too junior to post.
Old 05-16-18, 09:19 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Google posting pictures on Bikeforums.net

Question is answered at least once a day.

On repairing bikes, learn to do it yourself. Shops charge around $75 an hour for service (probably higher in SF). Many service tasks can be learned pretty quickly with the internet and youtube. Lots of choices on brifter replacements out there for example. 99% of the vintage stuff I see on C/L needs maintenance, often a lot of maintenance. Best suited for someone with the time/tools/aptitude/space to do the work themselves. Ask the seller the last time the bottom bracket was serviced, ditto headset and wheel hubs. Most ride bikes to failure, which on a vintage bike can mean decades without maintenance except for tires and chain. San Fran is one of the most expensive markets in the USA.

My guess that Bianchi was designed for riders 175 pounds or less, which is typical of higher end racing bikes. Sure, larger riders ride them, but you are quite a bit larger than the design. I continue to prefer touring or rigid MTBs as the wheels and frames are very stout. Sure, not as light, and not as fast either.

59cm frame for someone 6-6? Not happening. Google vintage bike sizing and take some personal measurements. 59cm is more like for someone 5-11.

Ad text is typical nonsense/hype. Bike itself looks like a good deal, but not when it doesn't fit. Size first, then shop.

Given your size, watch out for a flexy frame. Lots of discussions on that topic.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-16-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 09:40 AM
sodbuster72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, bike frames generally only go up to 63cm. You're probably right about the size, though. I do some of that mx myself, not because I don't like to spend the $75, but because I don't have time to take a bike over 45 min to a shop, drive 45m home, then come back several days later to pick it up (with another hour and a half of driving). I also have six children. Their bikes are always somehow broken. It's a huge time-eater, though. I wish there was a local shop.
Old 05-16-18, 09:45 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
At 6'6", this bike is too small for you.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...588926061.html

Old 05-16-18, 09:46 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
The add and price seem legit the price is a bit low for California but the market for classic racers is pretty soft right now. Figuring typical used but good condition you will need to spend another $200+ for a tuneup and set of tires mounted if a shop does the work. I'm with work101 that is bike is for a smaller lighter rider. Also if pretty much stock the fairly high narrow race oriented gearing and old school sewup/tublar wheels would not be the best to use for everyday riding with larger heavier rider.
Old 05-16-18, 10:24 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Nice bike, and probably not a bad deal for $550.

The crankset looks a little out of place on it, and appears to be 2 generations newer than the Nuovo Record rear derailleur, front derailleur, and shifters.

The brake levers also appear to have been changed to aero. I like the aero levers, but they aren't for everyone.

I can't tell if those are clinchers or sewups.

I think you already know the bike is a little on the small side, but it may be hard to find much larger than say 62cm, although a few monster sized bikes do show up if one has patience and a broad enough search area.

Some will depend on the rider. You would at least need to replace the seatpost with a modern one. Then, if you want a lot of handlebar drop, then that bike will work fine. If you need the bars level with the seat, then find a bigger frame.
Old 05-16-18, 03:51 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I concur, it appears to be a legitimate Super Leggera frame, circa 1980-1981. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a 6'6", 300 lb rider.
Old 05-16-18, 04:03 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
^
I tried to say the same thing but this site went into vapor lock for a few ticks.
Although it took a while to decipher the OP's cover letter.
Old 05-16-18, 04:27 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
If you go for a more upright ride you will have an easier time at your height and weight. I have a very long torso and road bike style riding is simply impossible for me without some custom frame. If you are more upright then you can just adjust the seat and handlebars a bit to take care of most of your problems though you still want to get a 22 inch frame if possible.

I got an old mountain bike with cromoly frame and 26 inch wheels and that seems to support my 300 lbs 6' 2" with no problems. I think expensive racing style road bikes are a waste of money for most people in general, but moreso if you are a big man and will have to go to great lengths to find a good ride that will both fit your torso and support your weight.
Old 05-17-18, 10:29 AM
sodbuster72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks so much for the input, friends. WRT the size, as I mentioned in the original post, I know 59cm is probably too small. I would never buy a bike without riding it and getting a feel for whether it would fit. Ad says "approximately," so you never know if the guy measured it right without looking (though the pictures do seem as if it is no MORE than 59cm). I just thought if it was a good deal, it would be worth going to look at to see if it fit - especially considering the fact that I don't run across nice bikes in my size all that often.
I do already have a good and useful road bike. My Sport SS is a 25". I do use it a reasonable amount. I'm not really interested in a mountain bike. I like going (relatively) fast down pavement. I make my exercise sessions kind of contests with myself, using the old CatEye Velo 7 to give me time, speed, and averages on several regular routes I use. I could never roll a mountain bike 20 miles at an 18 mph average, so buying a mountain bike for what I'm doing would kind of be like taking a SuperDuty to a race track. SuperDutys are great. I have one. But it's a different tool for a different purpose. I have a tool that does the job, but if I got a great deal on a better one, it might be worth a try, that's all. Maybe anything fancier than ol' Nipponese steel is just too lightweight - but you never know until you try. I had no trouble weight-wise with the Allez, once I got rid of the plastic spoked wheels.
Special thanks to cb400bill for linking the ad. The process for adding pictures is quite cumbersome, and still requires a URL (same as just copying the ad link). I do not have the necessary tenure yet to do URLs. If, as Thrifty Bill stated above, someone asks this question at least once a day, that's probably a good indication that it isn't a particularly user-friendly mechanism.
A sincere thanks to all for your contributions, particularly those regarding the authenticity and component parts of the bike in question! This really is a great forum with lots of valuable information.