Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

New bike: noticeable change from 385 reach/610 stack to 380 reach/585 stack?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 08-24-19, 06:03 AM
biciklanto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there,

I'm on the lookout for a new gravel bike to either replace or append my Trek Domane in 58cm.

A shop in country has a 56cm Salsa Warbird on sale for around 800€ off the MSRP. As mentioned in the title, the reach on the new frame is roughly the same as my Domane, and the stack is down about 2.5cm. How noticeable is that?

I'm maybe 184-185cm and the my current ride is pretty comfortable. I have a 100mm stem on my bike, and a zero-offset seat post.

Thanks!

Last edited by biciklanto; 08-24-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 12:29 PM
noOriginalNames

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is a significant drop in stack height. The drop from a 58 cm Domane to a 56 cm bike in the 2020 range is only 20 mm. How you have the front end of your bike setup currently also effects things as well. If you have your stem slammed currently, you may just be able to keep some spacers under the stem of the new bike to achieve the same bar height. This is all of course assuming you want to keep your position relatively similar, if you want to lower the front end then this might be fine.

I would think any shop worth doing business with would let you ride the bike and make some adjustments to stem/bar height to make sure you were comfortable before you purchase the bike, might be worth riding to see for yourself.