Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Needed - Lower bolts for Cube Stereo Race mtb required

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 03:02 PM
Stoin29

Bikes: Hybrid, Road & mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Recently I lost the bolt/washer set from the lower section (nearest the rear wheel hub) of a chainstay on my mtb. The bike in question is a Cube Stereo Race 120mm HPA 27.5" mtb.

Unfortunately a replacement is proving tricky to find at both Cube and my only local Cube dealer. Does anyone know where else I could find one/is there a general manufacturer's code for this part? I'll upload a picture in due course, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Also willing to purchase if anyone can provide directly.

Part dimensions:

Small screw thread bolt: cap= 11.5mm, shaft width, = 4.5mm, bolt length = 12 mm

Large socket bolt: cap = 11.5 mm, shaft width = 8 mm, bolt length = 20mm

2 x washers: diameter = 13.0-13.5mm, depth = 1mm

I'm also new to this forum so if anyone has suggestions for a more appropriate section for this request to go in, please let me know.

many thanks

Andy

Last edited by Stoin29; 09-10-19 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 03:26 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Andy, Is the bolt I circled the one in question? Does this setup use the same bolt on both sides? If so, do you have the bolt from one side?
I see you have only one post, so no pics for another 10 posts, but if you do have the other bolt, and can take a picture of it (preferably next to a ruler, and including diameters and lengths) and load it to imgur or google photos, you can put a link in your posts.

I suspect that this is a metric shoulder bolt. If the mfr didn't do something stupid (e.g totally nonstandard size/thread pitch etc) you may be able to find a standard bolt that fits (or a standard bolt plus a spacer) that works

Old 09-09-19, 03:34 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
WTF is it with manufacturers not stocking spares, anyway? It's not like this is a 30 year old bike.
Old 09-09-19, 08:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
WTF is it with manufacturers not stocking spares, anyway? It's not like this is a 30 year old bike.
I assume this is a satirical comment. It's been well known that carrying costs of many repair parts are higher then what most businesses consider to be affordable. This is what the market has determined for decades. Andy
Old 09-09-19, 09:14 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

It does kinda set mfrs up for failure. If you can break or strip or lose a single bolt or nut, and your $2000 bike is useless, it's a pretty strong disincentive to buy anything innovative. I'm hoping for the OP's sake that the bolt is just a standard shoulder bolt.
Old 09-10-19, 12:24 PM
Stoin29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi WizardofBoz

Thanks for your reply, yes that's the kind of bolt/washer set I'm after. Looks very similar to the one I need actually.

I'll look into getting those photos uploaded in the manner you suggest and post back later, good call.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by Stoin29; 09-10-19 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 02:00 PM
Stoin29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again,

Can't get that imgur url through yet as not enough posts, but here are the specifics

Part dimensions:

Small screw thread bolt: cap= 11.5mm, shaft width, = 4.5mm, bolt length = 12 mm

Large socket bolt: cap = 11.5 mm, shaft width = 8 mm, bolt length = 20mm

2 x washers: diameter = 13.0-13.5mm, depth = 1mm

thanks again

Andy
Old 09-11-19, 09:53 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Andy, You can just include the imgur link as text and anyone here can use that to view your pics.

Looking at your dimensions, I'm hopeful that a replacement can be found.

There's a bit of terminology differences (“England and America are two countries separated by the same language!” - GBS). To clarify the type of bolt and measurements, I list two common forms. If you can confirm which, and use the dimensions names shown, it will be easier to help you.

A Socket Head Cap Screw (SHCS), which is just a bolt that has a socket at the end rather than a hex head, and has dimensions measured as shown:

Important dimensions are length and diameter. Assuming that the threads will be metric, but you should verify the thread pitch (divided a length of the threaded portion in mm, and divide by the number of threads. I suspect that your threads (from above) are M4.5 and M8. These would have pitches of 0.75mm, and 1.25mm respectively.

Note that you would probably want a variant of this called a "Low Head Socket Head Cap Screw". In such a bolt, the dimension "K" is smaller than a normal cap screw's head. It is possible that the screw would be threaded along the entire shaft but I suspect that given the application you have some of the screw shaft unthreaded.

Another possible form is called a shoulder bolt. It is notable in having an unthreaded shoulder, generally larger in diameter than the threads.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 09-11-19 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 09-11-19, 02:18 PM
Stoin29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great! Thanks again for such comprehensive assistance. Haha agreed, differences in US/UK terminology can be confusing.

Encouraging that this may be a more commonplace component after all, from your descriptions it seems like the 1st one. You can't easily tell from the pics in the link, but the hex-key socket in the SHCS goes quite deep into the entire screw (~1/2 way down).

Pictures are here, maybe they illustrate a clearer picture (please note the unnecessary space between p & s, still couldn't post it even as plain text for some reason!):

http s://imgur.com/a/7rNwqYC

Will take a look at the thread pitch and let you know how the search goes.

Andy

Last edited by Stoin29; 09-11-19 at 02:27 PM. Reason: info update
Old 09-11-19, 07:44 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Ok, it looks like you have an internally threaded shoulder bolt with a matching machine screw. This type of bolt is also called a sex bolt. (No kidding) To avoid a lot of images I advise avoiding googling "sex bolt". And heaven help you, make sure your antivirus is up to date so if you happen to google "sex screw" so that your computer won't melt. Try this direct address for some ideas:

https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/sex-bolt

I don't think this site has exactly what you want. It might be hard to find the exact setup given how exotic it is. You don't need the exact same type of bolt. If you can't find an exact match, get a regular shoulder bolt with the proper shoulder diameter that will extend all the way through both parts of the frame. You may have to buy one with a shoulder a bit longer than the shoulder on the OEM bolt. If so, use washers or a spacer to take up any extra length, so as to ensure that you can tighten the nut to the edge of the shoulder on the bolt.

I would definitely use a shoulder bolt that goes all the way through both parts of the frame rather than some of the bolts that join in the middle of the joint.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 09-12-19 at 01:34 PM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 09-12-19, 02:18 PM
Stoin29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK top stuff, this is very useful info. I'll check that link and I also know of a few local hardware shops that might be able to sort me out with the correct bolt.

Thanks again, especially for saving me from my blushes. mechanics have such a sense of humour...
Old 09-12-19, 02:32 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoin29
... I also know of a few local hardware shops that might be able to sort me out with the correct bolt...
Someone will have to make some careful and complete measurements of whatever you have. Until you do that or take your bike to a shop, etc, continuing to just ask for the correct bolt will do nothing.

Apparently you're looking for more than bolts. Those are also pivot axles with bearing surfaces and will have to be fully characterized before they can be matched. Good luck.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 09-12-19 at 03:50 PM.