Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Loss of Endurance/Strength

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 09:17 AM
Harvick29

Bikes: 2005 Giant TCR1 Composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a recreational rider that rides 100-150 miles per week. I just finished a 70 mile charity ride a few weeks ago where I finished very strong with a personal high average for this distance. I have been very strong since especially at climbing until last week where for no reason I have extremely fatiqued legs and a heartrate that seems to be low for the given levels of exhertion. I feel like I am riding in sand where the pedals are just very heavy. I just had the bike (2005 TCR1 Composite) tuned up with new chain, brakes, etc. and initially thought this was a mechanical issue but now believe its not. I have been told that I could either be overtrained or getting ill both of which I feel are not true. I have had days where I just don't have good legs for no explainable reason, but never a prolonged period of this especially considering how strong I was just prior to this. Does the body go through natural cycles where down performance is a result? If so, how do I get out of this because I have a century ride this weekend? FYI, my weight is optimal, diet good, overall health is good. Any advice would be appreciated because this really has me bummed.
Old 09-05-06, 09:21 AM
normZurawski
On the right

Bikes: Specialized SJ FSR Comp, Trek 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't train this week. Just do a few recovery/endurance rides.

Sounds like you're overreaching, which is fine. But you need to allow compensation so your body can change to suit the demands you're making on it.
Old 09-05-06, 10:02 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yes! every single rider i've ever talked to has periods of burn out\low performance. so, yes, i would say it's a very natural thing.

just make note of it, cut down on the training intensity or just take a few days off, and get some good quality rest. as you ride more you'll learn an awful lot about your body just by being observant.
Old 09-05-06, 10:10 AM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like overtraining to me. I'm not real regular, but I went for a week where I was riding daily. By the end of the week I was seeing my average speeds start to drop off, and I was feeling sluggish. Had a few days off for a family trip, and when I came back, all was right again.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 09-05-06, 10:37 AM
nedgoudy

Bikes: Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a rough ride on Saturday but got back
on the horse on Monday and was 'all over it.'

Don't sweat it. Don't overtrain, and just ride
for the fun of the ride on that upcoming century.
Old 09-05-06, 11:46 AM
Harvick29

Bikes: 2005 Giant TCR1 Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking about taking a few days off but a few of my triathelete friends said to just cut back on the intensity of the workouts so to not shock the muscles once I do return to riding. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-06, 09:28 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a long distance biker. For instance: We did 3000 miles in 25 biking days at 120 miles/day average.
Some days 150 miles.
I am now training for the next tour. My goal is to drive my comfortable average up closer to 20 MPH average. It was 16.5 MPH for 100 miles/flat, wind neutral.
Therefore I train most every day. I cannot afford burn out. So, I am very careful not to overtax my system. I cruised around a large Metro-Park today at 18 MPH for 60 miles. That is fast but not straining my system.
I was tempted to race some guys and did not for the reason you mentioned.
BTW, I will be biking about 10,000 miles this year (at the rate I am going)
Old 09-06-06, 12:25 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Sounds like overtraining to me. For someone who rides 150-miles a week, doing 70-miles in a single day is quite a lot! I'd say cut back on mileage for two weeks. The 1st week make a rest week with very easy rides and not much mileage. The 2nd week add two intense days; one sprint-day and one interval day. On the 3rd week, you'll find that doing the long rides will be a piece of cake!
Old 09-06-06, 08:29 AM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Cycles in strength and vitality are pretty normal. If it lasts for a long time, go see a doctor. When was the last time you had a physical?

Az
Old 09-06-06, 10:18 AM
edzo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you could be sick or have an allergy, or just need to rest a week, at low and slow miles