Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Long Haul Thirsty Tourist ?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-20-18, 10:28 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts

Any light touring bikes with braze-ons for 5 water bottles ?
Old 09-20-18, 11:08 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Not aware of any frames with that many, but is there a reason you need five? You can carry extra water in your bags and refill as needed. Or carry a bladder. Or get a bike you can mount a cages on the fork. Or a feed bag or two from Revelate on the stem.
Old 09-20-18, 11:35 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Quite a few bikes have three pairs of threads for mounting bottle carriers. The real issue is the volume required to be consumed within a certain period.

ost bike bottles are around 750ml, but there are a few, including Magnums, that get close to close to a full litre. The trade-off for tourists is that if there are two or three mounting points for standard bottles, extra bottles might be accommodated in the bags also mounted on the bike and may need to be swapped as the original ones ae emptied.

A certain degree of planning each day's ride also might be needed to ensure drinking water is available at stop-points along the way..
Old 09-21-18, 12:19 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi

sure. frames often come with 3 sets of braze ons. the one under the downtube may interfere with fenders depending on bottle size, and might need a velcro strap to keep the weight of water from bending the cage.

i prefer to use the 3rd cage to carry a tool-kit bottle with tube and levers.

some forks have braze ons for water bottles or anything cages.

you can buy clamp on cages to attach to the frame, to the handlebars, and there's a dual-bottle carrier that attaches to the seat.

but why? if you need that much water it's probably very hot and sunny. leaving your water in bottles exposed means yucky hot water.

one or two bottles on the frame should be enough for easy access. carry more bottles in saddlebags or trunk bag or front platform, or put a bladder in a frame bag.
Old 09-21-18, 04:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Camelbak
Old 09-21-18, 04:54 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
If your bike has three sets of water bottle braze-ons, simply buy three Kleen Kanteen 40oz bottles with three of the Velo Orange Mojave cages. It's a pricey setup, but my motto has always been, "Buy once. Cry once."
Old 09-21-18, 06:11 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I've seen the fork idea before, in that case the cyclist used 1.5 L soda bottles.

Carrying so many small, heavy bottles is a reliable way to carry water, but not the most weight-efficient. Re-purposed soda bottles will fit in standard cages. A typical bike bottle weighs much more, carries much less.

If you also carry a pack, use one or more Platypus 2+ L bladders for bulk carrying, only 1 oz. Refill the frame bottles at breaks.
Old 09-21-18, 08:17 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
My Surly Troll has two mount points inside the triangle and one mount point on each leg of the fork. Three of those four are triple mounts, compatible with Anything Cages, which can carry quite a bit more. I believe newer modes have triple mounts under the downtube as well.

I also have a King Cage stem cap mount: King Cage: Bicycle Waterbottle Cages

And a Minoura saddle bottle mount. They also make a double mount to hang two cages off the back of your seat: Accessories | MINOURA JAPAN

But for all those options, I never carry more than two bottles. If I need more water than that, I carry a bladder. If I were really worried about carrying enough, I could likely fit a two liter, or even a three liter in my Anything cages. For a bike without the three-boss-mounts, I would look at the Blackburn Cargo Cage: Outpost Cargo Cage I think that uses the standard two mounts.
Old 09-21-18, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
pakeboi never buys anything, continued..

Pay a shop to Add them then, then get frame re powder coated..
drill, set pop rivets no re paint needed
Or get a custom* rather than off the shelf frame
internet shows these r side by side where one went on top..
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e-cage-adapter

My 2* had 2 bottle bosses on top of the downtube, 1 under + the one on the seat tube..
add a couple in tour bags , behind the saddle or on the handlebars,

a bike shipping job, She had 2 bottle cages on the fork blades (rather than Panniers)
and the ones on the frame..
[ Thorn Raven frame , so for Rohloff, from SJS Cycles UK (not custom), not light]

*1 in 1965, 2nd one in 1992.. no Brand ..

Intend on doing Desert riding? which Desert?

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-23-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 11:53 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
I am not aware of one with more than three.

It sounds like you are looking for just the right combination "light" but also carrying more water? On rare occasion I've carried up to 18 liters of water, but beyond the first three bottles (2L), I started with Camelbak, bladders, etc. More normally in northern Australia I was traveling with 8L split between three bottles on the frame and a Camelbak with two 3L bladders.
Old 09-21-18, 12:51 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Old 09-21-18, 01:10 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
OK, that gets you to four, if you mount cages on the fork. The fifth? You still have many other options mentioned already.

Looks like the current Troll model had three cage mounting points on the frame and two on the fork.

Last edited by alan s; 09-21-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 05:13 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
yup, my Troll has 5.
but never used the fork ones as a front rack is there.

+2 on storing extra water in a pannier as it gets less gross hot. I regularly carried a 1.5l and 1 l. store bought bottles with water that I filtered myself in my right rear pannier, along with my sleeping bag, camp mat and pillow and some other stuff. Along with two bike bottles on the frame, this is about 3.5-4l which was a good amount to have in hot riding, when access to stores was still ok but better to have extra in case there was a stretch of not seeing any stores or whatever.
Old 09-21-18, 06:08 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Just brazed up a frame for my daughter and have 4 H2O mounts on the main tubes. 2 on the top of the down tube, 1 on the bottom of the down tube, and one on the seat tube. She likes the small bottles and can carry 4 of them when needed, or 3 and use the one on the bottom of the down tube as a tool caddy. When building a frame from scratch there options are nearly limitless.
Old 09-21-18, 06:28 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
yup, my Troll has 5.
but never used the fork ones as a front rack is there.

+2 on storing extra water in a pannier as it gets less gross hot. I regularly carried a 1.5l and 1 l. store bought bottles with water that I filtered myself in my right rear pannier, along with my sleeping bag, camp mat and pillow and some other stuff. Along with two bike bottles on the frame, this is about 3.5-4l which was a good amount to have in hot riding, when access to stores was still ok but better to have extra in case there was a stretch of not seeing any stores or whatever.
+1 on this. I've lived and worked in the Southwest, and water is LIFE - hot or cold - its always good.
Old 09-22-18, 01:05 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Basically any frame-set that has the mounts on the fork will probably also have a few on the frame. My Sand County frame has the standard two on the fork, three on the frame set-up. But as with most everyone else, I say why? I also never carry more than two bottles on the frame, in the main triangle. If I need more then I put an extra bottle in each rear pannier(upright just in case of leaks...). If I really wanted more water and didn’t have extra pannier space(not using a full four bag set-up on a short trip or something), I think I’d try out the mount that goes behind the seat and holds two bottles. I think they’re for triathlons.
Old 09-22-18, 07:56 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I have a Profile Designs dual seat-post mount cage--I guess it's basically intended for aero/tri bikes but works OK for touring in addition to frame cages (one of which I use for a tool-storage bottle).
Old 09-23-18, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
as i posted above..

Old 09-23-18, 05:21 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
One guy on here has a Schwinn Cimarron with five, but one is on the stem
Old 09-23-18, 08:05 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I use a full frame bag on my adventure bike, and it takes the two bottle cage spots inside the triangle. A 3 liter bladder fits in the top compartment with room for a Topeak pump, bear spray and a couple spare tubes. The bottom compartment holds other stuff, but I can fit a total of six water bottles inside the bag. There's a cage on the bottom of the down tube that I use to carry an aluminum bottle with stove fuel. Do I need to carry six bottles all the time? No, but in temperatures reaching 90+, sometimes a bottle poured on the head feels pretty good to this old guy. And lots of times I don't pass by a refill source.
Old 09-23-18, 08:11 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
King Cage top mount. Have it on both my bikes. Its great.

Old 09-24-18, 02:12 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
When I toured across Canada in '15, one guy bought an aluminum plate, had it drilled to bolt on 3 bottle cages, and then bolted that onto his rear rack. It was a pretty ingenuative design. Can you not just carry water purification tablets? Why would you need to carry THAT much water/weight? Unless of course you sweat more than me, and its +30C (+90F), then I completely understand. I had one day of riding in BC where I drank 13 litres of water and gatorade and didn't pee a drop that day! OMG was it freaking hot!
Old 09-24-18, 08:42 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Folks need to tour in Mid-Atlantic USA, so much rain I think one can absorb enough water thru the skin & lungs. I've read that some folks make an accessory bar with add'l stem & cut-off handlebar section, that might be handy for bolting on extra bottle cages.
Old 09-24-18, 08:44 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
You know you could just tour on a tandem, with all those extra bottle mounts. Problem solved.
Old 09-24-18, 09:41 PM
Yan 

Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Carry your water in your panniers. Extra water bottles on your bike isn't as glamourous as you imagine, very weight and drag inefficient; not to mention all the bottles you need to keep track of. I have three mounting points on my frame and I don't even use the third one. It gets dirty under the down tube. I've done some unsupported desert crossings and have had as much as 25L of water in my panniers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.