Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Need some help on bike fit (Specialized Crosstrail)

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and donít know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. Itís more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, youíll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here yaí goÖ..the location for everything fit related.

Need some help on bike fit (Specialized Crosstrail)

Old 07-16-19, 09:01 PM
  #1  
DSJ13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some help on bike fit (Specialized Crosstrail)

So I am 5'9' and my inseam is ~31'' using the book method', and I initially bought a Specialized Crosstrail in size M. My LBS had varying opinions on M vs L for me, but I chose the M based on standover clearance. I rode it for a few days but couldnt seem to get comfortable. I went back to my shop and they swapped a longer stem and worked with me which I was hoping would fix it, but with the longer stem I felt like I was still 'on top' of the bars, and lowering the seat would create too much bend in my knee at the 6 oclock pedal.

So, they let me swap it for the large. Trouble with the large is I have virtually no standover clearance. How can I put this other than in plan english? Basically my nuts touch the top tube, but my pelvis still has an inch of clearance or so. So I can lift the bike into my perineum and have the wheel an inch off the ground, but the boys themselves are touching when standing over. Does that make sense?

Anyway I am at a loss here. Stick with the large? Go back to the medium with longer stem? I am right in between sizes. I have an average wingspan. I havent had much seat time on the large yet but right away when I first hopped on at the bike shop the large felt better.

Last edited by DSJ13; 07-16-19 at 09:15 PM.
DSJ13 is offline  
Old 07-17-19, 10:21 AM
  #2  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 15,245

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Looking at that bike's geometry, the L is too large. You should be bent over at the hips. That's the way it's supposed to be. You're just not used to riding a decent bike. Go back to the medium and post a photo of you on bike from the side. Can't tell anything without a photo except that the L is too large.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 07-17-19, 10:27 AM
  #3  
DSJ13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Looking at that bike's geometry, the L is too large. You should be bent over at the hips. That's the way it's supposed to be. You're just not used to riding a decent bike. Go back to the medium and post a photo of you on bike from the side. Can't tell anything without a photo except that the L is too large.
Thanks for the reply. What are you basing the large being too big on? I am bent over at the hips on the large, the medium too, but I felt a little high on top of them on the medium.
DSJ13 is offline  
Old 07-17-19, 10:41 AM
  #4  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 15,245

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DSJ13 View Post
Thanks for the reply. What are you basing the large being too big on? I am bent over at the hips on the large, the medium too, but I felt a little high on top of them on the medium.
Your height and inseam and the mental image of your crotch right down on that sloped top tube. If that top tube were perfectly horizontal and your crotch were touching it, it could still go either way as to whether such a frame would be too large. Bike shop wants the sale. Customer leaves with bike, all is good.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 07-17-19, 10:46 AM
  #5  
DSJ13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Your height and inseam and the mental image of your crotch right down on that sloped top tube. If that top tube were perfectly horizontal and your crotch were touching it, it could still go either way as to whether such a frame would be too large. Bike shop wants the sale. Customer leaves with bike, all is good.
I hear you, but I bought the medium and they let me go back and swap for the large, so I have no reason to question their motives.
DSJ13 is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 09:39 PM
  #6  
DSJ13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does neck fatigue generally indicate the reach is too long?
DSJ13 is offline  
Old 07-20-19, 11:55 AM
  #7  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 15,245

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DSJ13 View Post
Does neck fatigue generally indicate the reach is too long?
No, it indicates that you round your back when you ride: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 07-20-19, 11:56 AM
  #8  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 15,245

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DSJ13 View Post
I hear you, but I bought the medium and they let me go back and swap for the large, so I have no reason to question their motives.
They got your money, didn't they? Absolutely no question as to their motives. Unless of course they let you swap back . . .
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 08:26 AM
  #9  
DSJ13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
They got your money, didn't they? Absolutely no question as to their motives. Unless of course they let you swap back . . .
They already let me swap it once. Did you read that part?

I bought the medium initially then they let me swap it for the large. Hardly a money issue when they have both sizes in stock on the floor.
DSJ13 is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 07:59 PM
  #10  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 15,245

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DSJ13 View Post
They already let me swap it once. Did you read that part?

I bought the medium initially then they let me swap it for the large. Hardly a money issue when they have both sizes in stock on the floor.
Of course I read that part. I'm simply a bit perplexed that you aren't interested in swapping it back, since large is obviously too large. It's your money, your body. Do whatever you want.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 08:56 PM
  #11  
DSJ13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Of course I read that part. I'm simply a bit perplexed that you aren't interested in swapping it back, since large is obviously too large. It's your money, your body. Do whatever you want.
Dude I was just disagreeing with the notion that the bike shop was trying to get over or something.

Truth is I have no idea what Iím doing and Iím new to this looking for help. Like I said the large felt better riding to me than the medium. The standover is close.
DSJ13 is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 09:03 PM
  #12  
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...
 
BookFinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lower US 48
Posts: 287

Bikes: 4 good ones, 1 junker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
What feels best riding is the determining factor. That, and learn a cautious routine for dismounting the bike.

My take is to wear a jock strap or something like under armor briefs to keep the boys in close.
BookFinder is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 09:20 PM
  #13  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 15,245

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DSJ13 View Post
Dude I was just disagreeing with the notion that the bike shop was trying to get over or something.

Truth is I have no idea what Iím doing and Iím new to this looking for help. Like I said the large felt better riding to me than the medium. The standover is close.
Without seeing and touching you, all we can do at this remove is guess at what's going to work long term. Get the opinion of a bike fitter who does not work at that same LBS. I've been riding for 65 years and have some experience in bike fit.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DSJ13
Hybrid Bicycles
4
07-20-19 08:19 AM
paamick
Fitting Your Bike
8
06-09-15 09:46 PM
rryyaannbb
Road Cycling
7
09-29-12 08:36 AM
ActivEric
Mountain Biking
0
07-09-10 12:14 PM
mr-snake
Hybrid Bicycles
15
05-30-10 12:09 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.