Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Vacuum insulated stainless water bottles

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Vacuum insulated stainless water bottles

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 12:55 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I have an alloy grab cage, it's ideal for the job. It grabs any bottle regardless of girth (up to about two litres), though for very thin or wide bottles it needs a little 'adjustment' in the form of reform-bending. It's a cheap and common design. The retaining hook is plastic and can be removed (some may need to be cut off) so the bottle sits flush against the spine of the holder.

I don't use it, though. Some of my jeans catch on it. I use a normal wire-type alloy cage. It's not very flexible but it holds the drinks i buy (smoothies, ales, etc).
Old 08-28-19, 12:57 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Old 08-29-19, 08:56 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewhiskey
I'm not sure if you've solved your issue or if you're fixed on the "Travel Kuppe". However, I have found the Travel Kuppe for sale on amazon at the link below:

amazon(.) com/ dp/B073DSTCMR <-- I can't post links yet
Not sure there. The cap does not seem insulated and the spout seems capable of burning lips. Maybe some owner can comment.
Old 10-01-19, 02:27 PM
guisar

Bikes: 2000 Habenero Road, 2022 Habnaero gravel, 2005 Spicer touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a few of these: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...er-bottle-32oz They have an old school look (they also come in other colours or you can buy the tops separately as there's a cork or a plastic one) and have found them absolutely fantastic. There's no rattling in my cages (portland design and some random Nashbar "resin" type). They also are pretty insulated- not quite like a yeti but still great. If you are only into the insulation I have found a few plastic bottles work well- but not all of them; I've got recommendations if you want.
Old 10-01-19, 07:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

I think this is the one I used to own… Until my wife lost it. I think it fits in a water bottle cage nicely.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-06-19, 04:13 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
On a whim a couple of years ago I bought a Reduce COLD-1 stainless double insulated thermos from the discount bin at Kroger for a few bucks. One of my best bargains. It's been refreshing on many long hot summer rides the past couple of years. Occasionally I'll use it to hold hot coffee or tea in winter, but mostly use it in summer.

It's the right diameter for a bike water bottle cage, but lacks the dimples that mate with the retainer fingers on some cages. But that hasn't been a problem. The textured finish grips the aluminum cages just fine. If anything I need to relieve the tension on my aluminum cages to retrieve the bottle. So far it hasn't bounced out of my much looser fitting plastic cages on my road bikes (I use Trek plastic cages on one road bike, 50Strong on another, both nearly as light as carbon fiber at a fraction of the price).

If I'm anticipating rough roads I'll loop a wire twist tie from a bread bag to retain the tethered cap to the water bottle cage. Probably unnecessary, but I prefer to be sure it's secure in group rides. I don't want anyone to fall because my water bottle popped loose. That already happens too often in group rides, although fortunately I've seen few falls.

I usually half fill it with electrolyte solution and freeze it. The next day I'll fill the rest with plain water. If I use the original thermal cap the frozen mixture will stay frozen for up to 12 hours even in summer, gradually dissolving as I add fresh water. If I use a drinking cap with a Polar or Camelbak style nipple, it will thaw much sooner but will still be icy cold for hours.

Typically I don't drink from it while riding. Instead I reserve it for rest breaks. As my Polar plastic insulated bottle warms up I'll transfer water/electrolytes from it to the COLD-1 thermos. So there's always something cold to drink for as long as the ice remains.

Unfortunately that particular Reduce COLD-1 thermos has been discontinued, but I see similar size stainless thermoses by different manufacturers in local stores and online.
Either one of these it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reduce-COLD...8AAOSwAFFcHFm~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reduce-COLD...oAAOSw7aFa5PfO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/reduce-COLD...IAAOSwKMddVr9q