Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Expert Opinions: What are the best bike lights for city commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 11-29-11, 05:52 PM
bikeGOTHAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'm looking to light myself up like a Christmas tree for my city commute. I want to have one superbright surface light and then other backup/flashers. I bike about 10 miles into Boston along side streets.

What do you guys recommend for rear blinkers? What do you recommend for front lights? I'm thinking about Knogs / Nightriders.

Slava
Old 11-29-11, 06:28 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Forget about the Knogs. A bunch of reports stating that they have a tendency to shut themselves off.

For the rear, the Cygolite Hotshot 2W is the current best price for performance light on the market. There's a rather extensive thread on it down in Electronics and Gadgets. Flank it with either the Portland Design Works Danger Zone, PDW Radbot 1000, or the new Planet Bike Superflash Turbo. Also, you might consider lights in your bars. Soma Road Flares are some bright ones for drop bars, and Trek/Bontrager Beacons come in either drop or flat/riser flavors. And apply liberal amounts of reflective tape- users k'tesh and mechBgon I think are perhaps the two most artistic when it comes to making bikes glow at night.

As for the front, you won't get a consensus. Everyone has different needs- they ride at different speeds, surface conditions vary, night vision is worse for some and better for others, and run time requirements will all be different. It will be up to you to determine how much light you need to comfortably ride at night in your area.

Last edited by no1mad; 11-29-11 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 11-29-11, 06:31 PM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Nightrider Mininewt 600 and like it a lot. I switch between the blinking to solid depending on section of commute I am on. Its very bright and have had many people make comments about how its really bright. Most like it, a few have asked what kind it is so they could get one. A few peds and drivers look right into it and give "thats too bright!" look. but they see it.
Old 11-29-11, 06:37 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple knogs. IMO the front lights are useless. I have a 'Boomer' and it's pretty bright for the size, and convenient with the way it attaches, but as no1mad mentioned, it does shut itself off on bumps. I also have a 'Skink' headlight and it sucks.. it's too wide to fit on bars with brake levers and you can't aim it anywhere. I think I tossed it. I do, however, use a "Skink" rear light from knog as my secondary rear light. It attaches to the seatpost and it hasn't given me any problems other than not being water resistant, for me that's not an issue, but for most it would be.

So, with that out of the way.

My main "be seen" front light is a blackburn flea. It's usb rechargeable and bright for its size, which is tiny, which is why I got it. The velcro strap attachment means I can easily secure it to both my small bars on my fixie or my oversize bars on my roadie.

My "see everything" light is a magic shine. I've been flashed by cars because it's so bright..it's an awesome light.

On the rear, I just use the knog previously mentioned and a planet bike superflash on my backpack. The pair seems to work fine.
Old 11-29-11, 10:52 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
And apply liberal amounts of reflective tape- users k'tesh and mechBgon I think are perhaps the two most artistic when it comes to making bikes glow at night.

As for the front, you won't get a consensus. Everyone has different needs- they ride at different speeds, surface conditions vary, night vision is worse for some and better for others, and run time requirements will all be different. It will be up to you to determine how much light you need to comfortably ride at night in your area.
Thanks for the plug no1mad.

I've started a thread for making your bike glow down the road....

2011 Trek Montare (Using Avery blue, white, and black reflective films)

As for your lighting needs for city commuting... Go as bright as you can afford. The NiteRider MiNewt 600 is going for $120-$150 (depending on who's running a sale). Bright, easy to recharge, good run time, and a good mount. Having a second system for a back up is important, just in case.

Knog lights? Wouldn't trust my life with those puny things in a city commute. They're too small, not bright enough for safe usage, and I hate anything that doesn't use a standard battery I can find at a 7-11 (unless it's a rechargeable system). (My rules for buying battery powered lights can be found here)

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-30-11 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-29-11, 11:01 PM
jayr

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like the post above lot's of reflective tape, I even added some of the red tape to the heels of my shoes to get some movement, and the magicshine rear tail light is unbelievable. It's so bright you don't even see my old superflash. I like my MS front light too. I've had both for just over a year, used rain and shine and have had no problems yet. Every bit as bright as my friends $400 Nightrider at just over 1/4 the cost plus the brightest tail light I've ever seen on a bike.
Old 11-30-11, 12:02 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by weshigh
I just got a Nightrider Mininewt 600 and like it a lot. I switch between the blinking to solid depending on section of commute I am on. Its very bright and have had many people make comments about how its really bright. Most like it, a few have asked what kind it is so they could get one. A few peds and drivers look right into it and give "thats too bright!" look. but they see it.
+1

I also am a happy recent Minewt 600 buyer, although personally I can't imagine using the blink mode at night -- too bright for flashing. On high the thing is crazy bright. The run time is only advertised at 1.5 hours on high, but chances are you won't need high power most of the time. I've got a charger next to where I hang my bike at night so I just plug it in at the end of the day, and I haven't run out of power on the road yet on my 15 mile round trip commute.
Old 11-30-11, 12:23 AM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is through middle of LA so lots of street/ambient lights. The regular beam doesn't do much in those areas so I switch to flashing as more of a be seen mode. Works great for both.
Old 11-30-11, 02:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Unlimited
budget, we can
help
you spend
it.
Old 11-30-11, 09:18 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
A helpful link:

https://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-bike-lights-shootout
Old 12-01-11, 09:57 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I like my planet bike turbosuperflash tail light.
Old 12-01-11, 07:15 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Plus One on the MiNewt 600 Cordless, for the money it's very good. You can see it in the mtbr shootout that Andy_k linked to two posts up - -

I use the MiNewt 600 and an older MiNewt 200 on the front, and right now a PB SuperFlash Turbo and a SuperFlash Stealth on the rear.
Old 12-01-11, 07:26 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure the new Cygolite is nice but it hasn't made the Dinotte obsolete has it? Did I miss it or has it not even been mentioned yet?
Old 12-02-11, 12:27 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a helmet light (Light & Motion Vis 360), a rear seat post mount blinky (generic) and a handlebar mount 600 lumen set up (Light & Motion Stellla 600).

Of the 3, I would say that the helmet light is the most vital. It has a rear helmet mount blinky and a fairly high intensity front light that has 3 modes, high - low - blink. The best thing about it is I can point it where I want to look, or at drivers of cars as they look to cross my path or turn on to the street that I'm riding on. This is now the one light that I would not ride without after dusk. I will say that the combination (Helmet light and handlebar mount, both blinking) I know that I'm seen. You can tell by the way that cars react as you are heading down the road, they stop to figure out what the hell you are. I still don't assume that people see me, but I do feel like I'm very visible.

Last edited by Kojak; 12-02-11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-02-11, 12:40 PM
SamChevre

Bikes: Was Just Stolen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 8-mile commute, also in a city, mostly on side streets.

I use a this XP-G Romisen flashlight, and am very pleased with it.
Old 12-04-11, 08:38 AM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front - Magicshine FTW. Had my battery exchanged under recall, it is waterproof now. Highly recommend for a high-speed commute.

Rear is a matter of taste, terrain and budget.

Good Luck

SF
Old 12-04-11, 08:41 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sci_femme
Rear is a matter of taste, terrain and budget.
The rear is the more important, you need two and they should either be the new Cygolite Hotshot or a Dinotte. All the others are generally worthless compared to these, including the Superflash although it could be used as your second tail light.

Last edited by daredevil; 12-04-11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-04-11, 09:17 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by daredevil
The rear is the more important of the two as far as cagers are concerned, you need two and they should either be the new Cygolite Hotshot or a Dinotte. All the others are generally worthless compared to these, including the Superflash although it could be used as your second tail light.
Never used a hotshot. I bought a Dinotte headlight 5 or 6 years ago and the quality/customer service were not very good, especially considering the money spent. I don't think I want to pay a couple hundred dollars for a tail light from them with their track record with me. My Superflash lights are very, very bright (one 1/2 watt Superflash and one 1 watt Turbo) and attract comments from drivers, so although the Dinotte and HotShot are probably brighter I wouldn't characterize the Superflash lights as "worthless"
Old 12-04-11, 09:31 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Never used a hotshot. I bought a Dinotte headlight 5 or 6 years ago and the quality/customer service were not very good, especially considering the money spent. I don't think I want to pay a couple hundred dollars for a tail light from them with their track record with me. My Superflash lights are very, very bright (one 1/2 watt Superflash and one 1 watt Turbo) and attract comments from drivers, so although the Dinotte and HotShot are probably brighter I wouldn't characterize the Superflash lights as "worthless"
Not probably- they are.

Check out this thread about the Hotshot, scroll to the bottom of the OP and follow the instructions on the links. Also, see post #3 in this thread for a low budget option from DX.
Old 12-04-11, 11:47 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
More links:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm
https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tes.../index_en.html
Old 12-04-11, 12:33 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
I wouldn't characterize the Superflash lights as "worthless"
No, it's an impressive little light, just not good enough if you're gonna be in traffic. You owe it to drivers to make yourself as visible as possible, the earlier the better. Don't underestimate the value of a couple extra seconds of reaction time for the cagers.
Old 12-04-11, 01:22 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
At the other end of the price scale, I've actually been really impressed with this cheapie Bell taillight -- outperforms much more expensive bike-shop lights, and you can afford to get several of them. Get some rechargeable AAAs and you're in business.

When I did my LCI training course, we compared the night-riding setups of about 20 serious bike geeks, and we found that, above a certain minimum point, the brightness of the lights themselves is less important than their location. The higher on your body you put the lights, the more visible you'll be. I typically use two of those Bell taillights -- one on my bike's rear rack, and one on my helmet, one steady and one blinky. I use a fairly cheap headlight, and I keep it on flash - but I will say that I spent the summer in Boston and up there I did want more. You might like two headlights, one steady and one flashing. I also use a high-vis yellow reflective vest -- the flimsy kind you can get for $7 at Walmart is great, because you can roll it up and stick it in your pocket. And, as others say, put reflective tape all over, particularly on moving parts like cranks and pedals. Ride safe!
Old 12-04-11, 01:56 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeGOTHAM
I'm looking to light myself up like a Christmas tree for my city commute.
Noma makes battery-operated Christmas lights.

What do you guys recommend for rear blinkers?
Portland DEsign Works Radbot 1000 is excellent and includes a rear rack mount and reflector. The latter is required by law here.

What do you recommend for front lights?
I just received a wheel build around a dynohub and a Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo and it's great! It also has a reflector, also required by law here.
Old 12-04-11, 05:15 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by no1mad
Not probably- they are.

Check out this thread about the Hotshot, scroll to the bottom of the OP and follow the instructions on the links. Also, see post #3 in this thread for a low budget option from DX.
Good comparison, except it uses the older 1/2 watt Superflash instead of their current 1 watt model, which is substantially brighter and has a better spread. The Dinotte sure fills the room with light!
Old 12-04-11, 05:19 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
At the other end of the price scale, I've actually been really impressed with this cheapie Bell taillight -- outperforms much more expensive bike-shop lights, and you can afford to get several of them.
I actually use one of those Bells - they are very bright for the price, and have a lot of flash patterns to choose from. You can see it in pictures of the Rig mounted below the PBSF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.