Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tell me how you really feel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-14, 08:53 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts

Just returned from an interesting morning ride.

Along Chicago's North Shore on saturday an Sunday mornings its pretty much a continual line if cyclists winding their way up the shore of lake Michigan. It's fun jumping in with a group and tearing up the road. Not all but many cyclists run the stop signs and red lights along the way.

So it was at a coffee shop at my turn around point that a local stopped and asked me about the rules of the road. Then proceeded to call me and cyclists in general a bunch of A- holes.

I wasn't offended. I actually said that, yeah, the big groups of 30+ riders are basically outlaws. A roaming group outside the law. They spread across the entire lane, don't stop for anything and basically take over the road.

He had some more choice words and was in his way. But I have to say I agree with most of his observations. But I don't know how you stop it. A good proportion of the riders are lawyers. Lots of wealthy oldsters too. Lots of influence if things do come to a head with local governments.

I am concerned with hot heads behind the wheel of a car. Lots of angry motorists peeved by all these cyclists. And also the perception that anyone on a bike is an A-hole.

So what are your observations?
Old 06-21-14, 09:13 AM
timmbo

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was down in Chicago two weeks ago, and you know what********** The motorists have no frickin' respect for the bikes, therefore the bikes are forced to do what they need to do to watch out for themselves. I have never seen an area where the vehicles just don't give the bikes any respect. So props for having some outlaws to defend their ground.
Old 06-21-14, 09:28 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My observation is as cyclists we own the road and should be able to do whatever we like.
Somebody should b-slap the crybaby.
Guys that hate cyclists are just like all the other haters in society outside looking in. Jealousy rules human emotion and there is no bound to self loathing that is directed to others in better health and having fun.
Old 06-21-14, 09:33 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by timmbo
I was down in Chicago two weeks ago, and you know what********** The motorists have no frickin' respect for the bikes, therefore the bikes are forced to do what they need to do to watch out for themselves. I have never seen an area where the vehicles just don't give the bikes any respect. So props for having some outlaws to defend their ground.
And this is the problem. Everyone uses the other person's behavior to justify their own poor behavior. In before A&S....
Old 06-21-14, 09:42 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
I understand both sides of this. When you get a group of 30+ and everyone wants to do a fast, hard ride, stopping at intersections really breaks things up. Also a group that big really stands out for motorists and most drivers just slow down and let the group past.

On the other side, if groups want to ride that way, it's best to plan a ride away from traffic.
Old 06-21-14, 09:42 AM
Niloc

Bikes: 80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well cyclists are allowed the use the whole lane if they want, they are vehicles on the road after all. Is the road you're talking about one or two lane? Are they pulling a critical mass? Seems like car/cyclist congeniality is suffering whatever they're doing.

Re stop lights and signs, well yeah I'll blow through stop signs in remote quiet areas if it's safe to do so. Or for example at T-intersections where I'm not turning but continuing in a straight line; since I'm hugging the right side, even if there's was vehicle turning left, which there won't be or I'll stop, they wouldn't be in danger of hitting me. Of course I usually slow down and check for cross traffic, how much I slow down dependent upon visibility. C'mon on a bike you need to maintain momentum, you can't recover it like in a car by exerting a tiny bit of pressure on the accelerator with your big toe. At major arterial intersections, which I generally try to avoid, I will stop because it's safer and so as not to appear a total ******bag. I've never been berated for my behavior. The lakeshore blvd here is popular with cyclists especially on weekends and occasionally you see large double file groups. I think drivers on this road are just used to it, and have accepted that cyclists are a feature of this road. This road is more of a scenic surface street with a 30mph speed limit, with alternative routes available. If yours is more of an arterial and the only way into a bunch of subdivisions, I could see that those suburban dwellers would get more irate at "those damn cyclists".
Old 06-21-14, 09:49 AM
timmbo

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, everyone just needs to treat others with a little more respect. I see way to many cars drive in bike lanes, or cut cyclists off when making a turn or pulling out of a parking lot. A lot of motorists that do this to cyclists do this to other motorists as well. Certainly cyclists don't own the road, and cannot simply do whatever they want, whenever they want, but there are laws. MUTUAL RESPECT goes a long way!
Old 06-21-14, 10:00 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Build an overpass only for cyclists. The OP's point is valid, the solution elusive . I'll go out on a club ride comprised of fairly old fellows ( mostly retired ), and surprisingly blast through stop signs, but wait for stop lights. We live in a culture where being first is what counts, patience isn't valued much. Having said that, on your next ride if you see someone blast through ( after looking carefully ) a stop sign, it's could be me.
Old 06-21-14, 10:04 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
so because a car has to slow down it means the cyclist is an a-hole? does every vehicle on the road have to travel at the speed that the fastest vehicle wants to travel at?

if something allowed to use the road slows you down, tough titties. that's natural. if something is in your way, you get slowed down or stopped.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-21-14, 10:05 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
if that local had approached me, unprovoked and ranted at me, i would have gotten up to yell back at him. mofo.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-21-14, 11:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 1,032 Posts
I got called a fa***t c***ksucker by a 70+ year old motorist today. Seriously.
Old 06-21-14, 11:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
That would make me laugh a genuine laugh.
Old 06-21-14, 11:55 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Getting 30 guys together in something that is fast paced and adrenaline inducing is a recipe for bad behavior that will only aggravate the cyclist-motorist antipathy that already exists. Best to follow the rules of the road. Still some will complain but less so and for non valid reasons.
Old 06-21-14, 11:57 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
are you saying you're not a fa***t c***ksucker?
Old 06-21-14, 12:01 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whether there's a absolute right or wrong isn't the point IMO...having a stranger criticize you for somebody else's behavior is the ridiculous part...or maybe that's just...

Last edited by gc3; 06-21-14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-21-14, 12:22 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
King of soul is gone but not forgotten:

It's a Man's Man's Man's World - Christina Aguilera (live) - YouTube
Old 06-21-14, 12:44 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
so because a car has to slow down it means the cyclist is an a-hole? does every vehicle on the road have to travel at the speed that the fastest vehicle wants to travel at?

if something allowed to use the road slows you down, tough titties. that's natural. if something is in your way, you get slowed down or stopped.
The alternative of everyone forced to go the speed of slowest vehicle that wants to use the road is equally impractical.
Old 06-21-14, 12:48 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
it's a fundamental quality of a herd. nothing you can do about it.
Old 06-21-14, 12:54 PM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
Sure there is.... Stay out of the herd.
Old 06-21-14, 01:05 PM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Getting 30 guys together in something that is fast paced and adrenaline inducing is a recipe for bad behavior that will only aggravate the cyclist-motorist antipathy that already exists. Best to follow the rules of the road. Still some will complain but less so and for non valid reasons.
This is one of the things I pointed out to the gentleman that I encountered. You get a large group, adrenaline pumping and you may as well through the rules of the road away. As the "premier" group of the bunch puts it, "we are an anarchy...". And it is so true. These dudes are hitting speeds of 30+mph on residential streets. And when you have a mass of 40, 50 guys, they set their own rules. Stop signs, stop lights, any hindrance of any kind and they blow thru it. They do get stopped on occasion by local police, but not often. It will be interesting to what happens the rest of the summer.
Old 06-21-14, 01:16 PM
big chainring 

So a group of riders lose their ability of reason, and become a herd of animals. Thats a good definition of the "Judson" ride.
Old 06-21-14, 02:11 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Sure there is.... Stay out of the herd.
That would be unherd of.
Old 06-21-14, 02:14 PM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by Campag4life
That would be unherd of.
Good one.
Old 06-21-14, 03:24 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Should have asked for an address where your secretary could send the bill for his therapy session...
Old 06-21-14, 05:55 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
I ride with a group that got a lot of pressure from the local police. They tried to obey all the rules and rode two abreast at most. But when the leader went through a green light, it often turned yellow right after. The end of the line had to either stop, which meant everybody else did, part of the group got dropped, or they ran the light. Rules are great to follow in small towns or rural areas but difficult in large, high density places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.