Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 wheelset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-23, 06:54 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 wheelset? These are on the Trek Madone SL7 I test rode today. They feel sluggish to me. I also expected DTSwiss hubs but was told these are Bontrager's own hubs.
Any knowledge on the subject appreciated.

Old 11-06-23, 10:42 AM
katyjcrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have the Pro 51s on my TT bike. Wen up to speed, the roll quite nicely. Not the fastest, but a nice set of wheels for that price point of bike. The hubs, according to Trek, have DT 350 internals.
Old 11-06-23, 05:57 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by donhaller

Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 wheelset? These are on the Trek Madone SL7 I test rode today. They feel sluggish to me. I also expected DTSwiss hubs but was told these are Bontrager's own hubs.
Any knowledge on the subject appreciated.

Not looking to argue, I'm genuinely asking, how could wheels (not tires) feel sluggish? The way I see it, the spokes are always under tension, though the amount varies as the wheel rotates. While to some degree, the varying tension in the spokes will cause them to change length slightly, I doubt that that would amount to anything detectable. And given that, I don't think even soft rims would deform enough to notice and carbon rims probably not at all. Of course, if there were extraordinarily bad hub bearings, then sure that might be something, but that's not likely an issue on a new bike. Or of course the wheel built with unusually slack spokes.

Also, just seems to me much more likely anything you felt concerning the wheels was really the tires. I assume it had Bontrager somethings on it. And I don't think any Bontrager road tires are known to roll all that great.

This is just my thinking. Please edjumicate me.

I have Aeolus Pro 37's on my Domane and they seem quite nice. But real or placebo, I have no idea.

FYI, the Trek web site say the 51's come with DT350 hubs, but it says that about the 37's I have. Yet those hubs have Bontrager stickers on them. My guess, they are likely DT350's just rebranded Bontrager.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 11-07-23, 06:54 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
FWIW the biggest influence in the feel of a test ride is tire pressure. Inflate tires to or beyond the max and any bike feels faster with crisper handling. Under inflate and the best bike feels like a dog.

Personally, I'm not convinced anyone can feel the difference between any two reasonably comparable wheels.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-07-23 at 06:58 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-07-23, 03:43 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Not looking to argue, I'm genuinely asking, how could wheels (not tires) feel sluggish? The way I see it, the spokes are always under tension, though the amount varies as the wheel rotates. While to some degree, the varying tension in the spokes will cause them to change length slightly, I doubt that that would amount to anything detectable. And given that, I don't think even soft rims would deform enough to notice and carbon rims probably not at all. Of course, if there were extraordinarily bad hub bearings, then sure that might be something, but that's not likely an issue on a new bike. Or of course the wheel built with unusually slack spokes.
The most likely source of a "sluggish" wheel is either weight or tires. As you note, it would take fairly radical deviations in spoke tension, bearing adjustment, or rim stiffness to affect "wheel feel" more than weight and tire pressure/tire quality.
Old 11-07-23, 05:22 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
The most likely source of a "sluggish" wheel is either weight or tires. As you note, it would take fairly radical deviations in spoke tension, bearing adjustment, or rim stiffness to affect "wheel feel" more than weight and tire pressure/tire quality.
Weight certainly makes some sense. Accelerating a heavy wheel would be something you might notice. Though I doubt the Aeolus 51's the OP references are unusually heavy. But some people (not me) are more attuned to what for me would be subtle differences I likely wouldn't notice.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 11-07-23, 05:57 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer

Also, just seems to me much more likely anything you felt concerning the wheels was really the tires. I assume it had Bontrager somethings on it. And I don't think any Bontrager road tires are known to roll all that great.

This is just my thinking. Please edjumicate me.

I have Aeolus Pro 37's on my Domane and they seem quite nice. But real or placebo, I have no idea.

FYI, the Trek web site say the 51's come with DT350 hubs, but it says that about the 37's I have. Yet those hubs have Bontrager stickers on them. My guess, they are likely DT350's just rebranded Bontrager.
seal drag is a big factor.. bearing quality and side loading also play into it... and then, there's rotating mass that must be accelerated every time the rider applies power...
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-07-23, 06:06 PM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
The biggest factor for me is the crosswinds this time of year. I grab the emonda with the 36mm deep wheels when windy. Seems to help a little.