Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Would you be insulted?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Would you be insulted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23, 09:09 AM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I have used split foam pipe insulation to protect my bike. It is easy to put on and take off; probably easier than all of that painter's tape.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...7812/204760801
Likes For flanso:
Old 11-30-23, 09:39 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by boneshaker78
if you are willing to go to these lengths to protect your machine, why not do the work too?
I also suggested that, and someone pointed out it might be part of a free service/adjustment that is included with the original purchase.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-30-23, 10:02 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by donhaller
However, I don't think I'm being overly anal. The bike has NO scratches, blemishes or marks. I've owned it about a month and it only has about ~350 miles on it.
I think the shop would not be insulted that you're protective of your bike's finish - but they don't know you; the bike might be stolen or damaged already and you're covering something up. So hopefully YOU won't be insulted when they take a lot of before and after photos and run the serial number through the police and check your social media profile for criminal activity and fraud before they accept your service request.
Old 11-30-23, 10:22 AM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I think the shop would not be insulted that you're protective of your bike's finish - but they don't know you; the bike might be stolen or damaged already and you're covering something up. So hopefully YOU won't be insulted when they take a lot of before and after photos and run the serial number through the police and check your social media profile for criminal activity and fraud before they accept your service request.
Well since I bought the Bike from them less than a month ago, and it was very expensive, and something that is not purchased lightly, and has a year of free tweaks, They won't think I stole it or am hiding something.
Likes For donhaller:
Old 11-30-23, 10:23 AM
donhaller 

To put everyone at ease! I removed the tape and will hope my new Madone and its beautiful finish stays unmarred!!
So many interesting assumptions here.
Old 11-30-23, 10:30 AM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I also suggested that, and someone pointed out it might be part of a free service/adjustment that is included with the original purchase.
That makes sense. I just went through something similar where I was forced to take the bike in due to warranty work. I was a nervous wreck.
Old 11-30-23, 10:31 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
To put everyone at ease! I removed the tape and will hope my new Madone and its beautiful finish stays unmarred!!
So many interesting assumptions here.
Seems like other people’s assumptions were exactly what you were asking for here
Likes For bboy314:
Old 11-30-23, 10:44 AM
donhaller 

Originally Posted by bboy314
Seems like other people’s assumptions were exactly what you were asking for here
And... how exactly does that make sense?

Some assumptions:
I'm anal about my bikes
I'm probably gonna be rude
I don't know how to wrench my own bike
I could be hiding something about my bike
etc. etc.
Next time I will provide a complete background on my complete psychological profile and skills of working on my own bikes!
Old 11-30-23, 10:46 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
You mean to tell me that the finish on your bike is so delicate that it must be protected from coming into contact with my grubby monkey hands? Get over it. Buy your self a bike with a quality durable finish. If you think it's too delicate for me, it's too delicate for me.

I'd tell you to get lost and find a mechanic you think is qualified to touch your baby. I wouldn't want the hassle of a customer motivated to find a problem, any problem no matter how small, even if self invented.

Wrap your live human children in bubble wrap, much?

What about the potential damage from removing the tape? The tape will lift paint chips right off. So what then? You're stuck with evidence of bad handling led on by a false sense of security by shop personnel. But, no evidence of where/when it occured. And the shop is stuck with a nit-picky problem customer with nothing but accusations.

The tape says a lot about you. Are you ok with what it says?

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-30-23, 10:58 AM
donhaller 

Originally Posted by base2
Wow! Cool reply. Thanks, I'd really not want you to work on my bike. If you don't appreciate my desire to keep hard earned things to be cared for.
I waited since 2006 to be able to buy a new bike. I saved and pondered over what I wanted and I'm just asking if it would be insulting. OK, I get the point, but the tape doesn't say a thing about me! Other than I care about the finish staying nice for a while.
Old 11-30-23, 11:01 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Clearly some varying opinions posted but if I was a shop mechanic it wouldn't bother me you taped the frame except that I would worry that the customer is hiding some damage that they may later claim I created.
That would be my first thought.
Working in auto dealerships, you would be surprised at the number of "ever since you" complaints you get. Things like "ever since you put air in my tires my transmission slips".
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-30-23, 11:03 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
You mean to tell me that the finish on your bike is so delicate that it must be protected from coming into contact with my grubby monkey hands? Get over it. Buy your self a bike with a quality durable finish. If you think it's too delicate for me, it's too delicate for me.

I'd tell you to get lost and find a mechanic you think is qualified to touch your baby. I wouldn't want the hassle of a customer motivated to find a problem, any problem no matter how small, even if self invented.

Wrap your live human children in bubble wrap, much?

What about the potential damage from removing the tape? The tape will lift paint chips right off. So what then? You're stuck with evidence of bad handling led on by a false sense of security by shop personnel. But, no evidence of where/when it occured. And the shop is stuck with a nit-picky problem customer with nothing but accusations.

I guess that answers the question then

fwiw I think my 2019 Madone was scratched by my LBS when they had it for a couple of weeks. Luckily the damage buffed out almost completely and it’s suffered plenty of chips and a £600 carbon repair was needed (below) on a chain stay that had an uncomfortable interaction with the rear mech, since then so I am well over it.

Old 11-30-23, 11:24 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Wow! Cool reply. Thanks, I'd really not want you to work on my bike. If you don't appreciate my desire to keep hard earned things to be cared for.
I waited since 2006 to be able to buy a new bike. I saved and pondered over what I wanted and I'm just asking if it would be insulting. OK, I get the point, but the tape doesn't say a thing about me! Other than I care about the finish staying nice for a while.
Your continued defensiveness only confirms the majority collective opinion that you have some control issues. Spit happens. That is why there is touch-up paint. Hundreds of cyclists with bikes every bit as nice as yours surrender them to the LBS for service and get them back without incident. Why are you looking for trouble?

I think it would be a much better strategy to take the bike in and while handing it over make some comment about the unblemished paint job and how much it pleases you that you got such a perfect specimen from their shop. They'd probably fire the mechanic who caused you to have to find a blemish after confirmation before the fact that the bike was indeed pristine. The way you had planed on would have screamed 'major asshat on the premises' and, depending on how petty a human being you got to do the work, maybe even a grudge gouge, guaranteed to go unnoticed for a good long time.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 11-30-23 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-23, 11:25 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
It's really a good color of tape. I'd leave it on after the repairs. Unless you have RED tape...
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 11-30-23, 11:53 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I wouldn’t care. I like picky customers who are sane—I can meet high standards and picky customers can give me an opportunity to impress—I just need to be really clear with my communication!

Life’s too short to worry if the local wrench thinks you’re slightly neurotic. Treat them like a professional, communicate clearly, and everything’s gravy.
Likes For cpach:
Old 11-30-23, 12:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
IMO, this has been a useful thread for OP. He was concerned that his tape might cause offense and asked for opinions. From the responses he learned the shop might draw additional negative conclusions. OP took it to heart and abandoned the idea. You could even say this is a model BF thread.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-30-23, 12:39 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
At the very least it says you value your bike more than my skills. It also illustrates a distrust when I have no rational motivation to harm and a great negative consequence to myself or my business should I act in a non-ethical manner. It also says you are insecure and irrational in this particular matter. Not qualities I look for in a customer.

Yes. You got a bike you've been saving for for going on 20 years. It's important to you. So important to you and so irreplaceable that I wouldn't want to take the risk work on it. Business insurance to wouldn't want to take a claim. Small claims is too much hassle. The result is I'd have to eat the cost of everything & still have an unhappy, unsatisfiable customer with probably a very loud mouth and a Yelp account.

Old 11-30-23, 12:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Old 11-30-23, 12:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
if i were the shop taking on the service(s) ... I'd have to have the owner go over the bicycle with me & point out existing flaws...
Old 11-30-23, 01:09 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
OK, I get the point, but the tape doesn't say a thing about me!
I think it says a great deal, much of which has been pointed out.

I suspect many of our current mechanic friends here have never seen such treatment on a bike presented for service. Certainly, I never saw anything like it in 10 years of wrenching. The responses you're getting are based on the seemingly irrational fear of damage that you seem to have, and the (to me) inane solution you've come up with.

If you feel strongly about it, why not remove the tape, bring the bike into the shop "naked," discuss the issue with your mechanic and ask if you could tape it up in front of them?
Old 11-30-23, 01:20 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think it says a great deal, much of which has been pointed out.

I suspect many of our current mechanic friends here have never seen such treatment on a bike presented for service. Certainly, I never saw anything like it in 10 years of wrenching. The responses you're getting are based on the seemingly irrational fear of damage that you seem to have, and the (to me) inane solution you've come up with.

If you feel strongly about it, why not remove the tape, bring the bike into the shop "naked," discuss the issue with your mechanic and ask if you could tape it up in front of them?
I’m assuming you have a car, so how far from others do you park your new car and for how long, weeks, moths or years; do you go around it to check every spot of the exterior before getting into it? 😉
Old 11-30-23, 01:23 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
The above post was meant for the original poster.
Old 11-30-23, 02:52 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
I'd tell them you're midway through experimenting with making the frame match the bar tape.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 11-30-23, 04:15 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
The masking tape matches the bar tape, so I'm ok with it.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 11-30-23, 04:55 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
I’m assuming you have a car, so how far from others do you park your new car and for how long, weeks, moths or years; do you go around it to check every spot of the exterior before getting into it? 😉
You don’t?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.