Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Problems with fitting 451 Schwalbe Stelvios?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 06:10 AM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I do on my Velocity rims. My first set had wire beads and very difficult to get on the rims, so I bought a set of folding Stelvios with the flexable kevlar bead, I thought these would be easier, WRONG!!
I've changed so many tyres in my time that I've lost count, but these Stelvios are the worst I've ever had, I tried the dishwashing detergent trick...no good, I've yelled at them....they don't listen. I've even used the tyre levers to force them on the front rim, that worked, but when I tried that on the rear I pinched the tube....I'm about to give up and try another brand because I'm building up a R20 with a Sachs 3x7 hub as a tourer, so I need a tyre that will be reasonably easy to deal with when I'm away.

Has anyone tried either 451 KENDA KWEST or 451 Primo Comets?
Old 06-29-09, 06:30 AM
brommie

Bikes: Brompton T6, Koga Miyata Distance, Airnimal Joey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never tried the Stelvios. But the Schwalbe Marathon weren't easy to fit on my Brompton. I use a "Bandenhulp", makes it a little easier.
Photo Bandenhulp you find here: https://www.fietspunt.nl/shop/showart..._900050_Simson
Old 06-29-09, 08:22 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegor
I do on my Velocity rims.
I've got the Primo 37x451 over Velocity rims on my Reach City .. they went on fine and are actually a pretty good tire.. I would think for touring, they might be better than the 28x451 Stelvio... I also have 28x451's Stelvios over Alex rims on my Reach Road as well as 26x451 Primos.. I didn't find the Stelvios to be a problem removing or installing.. the Reach Road came with the 26x451 Primo .. I never put too many miles on them as the bike was new and I got 2 flats in the first 10 miles .. my confidence was broken, I was eager to put a some miles on a new bike, I had the Stelvios in hand, so on they went, Velo Plugs instead of tape, and that was lots of miles and 2 years ago ..
Old 06-29-09, 01:36 PM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes the Kevlar beads are usually much harder to install than the wire beads... nthertheless they should fit, make sure that there is only very little air in the tube when you install the tire and try to have the beads in the center of the rim ( on the opposite side ) where you want to push the bead over the rim shoulder... sometimes depending on rim you need to find the sweetspot where the tire sits when 4 /5 of it is installed and just the rest doesnt want to slip over ....
:-)

Thor
Old 06-29-09, 05:24 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
I've got the Primo 37x451 over Velocity rims on my Reach City .. they went on fine and are actually a pretty good tire.. I would think for touring, they might be better than the 28x451 Stelvio... I also have 28x451's Stelvios over Alex rims on my Reach Road as well as 26x451 Primos.. I didn't find the Stelvios to be a problem removing or installing.. the Reach Road came with the 26x451 Primo .. I never put too many miles on them as the bike was new and I got 2 flats in the first 10 miles .. my confidence was broken, I was eager to put a some miles on a new bike, I had the Stelvios in hand, so on they went, Velo Plugs instead of tape, and that was lots of miles and 2 years ago ..

I did a 6 day tour on the Stelvios with panniers F & R and they seemed OK, but I think a wider tyre would be better. I've used the Primo Comets on 406 rims and they're good too, but they do wear fast. I wonder what the Kenda Kwests are like? Bike Friday give them a good review.

Originally Posted by brakemeister
yes the Kevlar beads are usually much harder to install than the wire beads... nthertheless they should fit, make sure that there is only very little air in the tube when you install the tire and try to have the beads in the center of the rim ( on the opposite side ) where you want to push the bead over the rim shoulder... sometimes depending on rim you need to find the sweetspot where the tire sits when 4 /5 of it is installed and just the rest doesnt want to slip over ....
:-)

Thor

Thor,

Done all that and still they're monsters to put on, makes me hesitant to use these on a tourer in case I get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a puncture and I can't get them off/on. As I said, done a lot of tyre repairs but these are shocking.
Old 06-30-09, 05:31 PM
Flitzer

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stelvios and Velocity

I have mounted six 451 Stelvios on three different style Velocity rims with no problems. I ask this question in another thread, what width rim tape are you using. The 17mm width is a little iffy unless it is centered
exactly on the rim. Otherwise the tire might not seat properly and become more difficult to install.

Bob
Old 06-30-09, 06:42 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegor
I use the 20 x 1 3/8" Primo Comet on the rear wheel of my Bike Friday (I think the rim is a Sun CR-18) and it's the loosest tire/rim combination I've ever had. Never even a thought of using tire levers since the tire can be pulled right off the rim instantly. Installation is also quick and easy.

I also have some of the Kenda 451 tires but haven't installed them on a rim yet. Could give them a try if you want.
Old 06-30-09, 09:20 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
I use the 20 x 1 3/8" Primo Comet on the rear wheel of my Bike Friday (I think the rim is a Sun CR-18) and it's the loosest tire/rim combination I've ever had. Never even a thought of using tire levers since the tire can be pulled right off the rim instantly. Installation is also quick and easy.

I also have some of the Kenda 451 tires but haven't installed them on a rim yet.
Could give them a try if you want.
If that's not too much of a hassle, then yes please.
Old 06-30-09, 09:21 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flitzer
I have mounted six 451 Stelvios on three different style Velocity rims with no problems. I ask this question in another thread, what width rim tape are you using. The 17mm width is a little iffy unless it is centered
exactly on the rim. Otherwise the tire might not seat properly and become more difficult to install.

Bob
I will look into this.
Old 06-30-09, 09:35 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I run KENDA KWEST on two commuter bikes. It’s a good cheap tire for commuting. They don’t handle very well and when it’s cold out, like 32 or lower watch out they are super slick. Long lasting though. I got about 7,000 out of my first set.

I run Primo Comets on a Rans Rocket (that’s what it came with) recumbent and I like them. Handling is good, puncture protection not so good.

I like Schwalbe Stelvios the best, very good handling and puncture protection. Durability is not bad either, for a sporty kind of tire.

As far as mounting the tires I haven’t had any trouble at all with any of them. In fact the last time out I had a bad rim strip and it blew out the tube. I R&R the tire by hand, no tire levers. (I left them back home dummy me.) It was not easy by any means, but I did it and it was a Schwalbe Stelvio.
Old 07-01-09, 03:58 AM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had Primo comets w/kevlar belt on my pocket rocket for about 200 miles and it is a very fast, smooth riding tire. Comets feel like they are 1 gear faster than the stock Kenda Qwests that came with the bike. I can't comment about durability or puncture resistance. The roads I normally ride or very smooth and wide suburban roads.
Old 03-02-12, 01:12 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
"I built a set of Alex 451 R390's for my Mu Duo .. I've been happy with the Stelvios .. they go on and off pretty easy." Bruce M.

Searching old posts found this and the quote above. I still say we should make a 'sticky' of which 451 rims fit which 451 tires well.
Factory tolerances differ so radically that "451" rim / tire becomes a meaningless number and does not connote any compliance with other 451 rims/tires
Old 03-02-12, 01:47 PM
Folding-Bikes

Bikes: Pacific-Reach SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stelvios are now called DURANO and will fit in Velocity & Alex rims.

Schwable now makes the Ultremo ZX (their fastest/lightest tyre) for 451:

Juan
Old 03-02-12, 03:32 PM
itsmoot
in cog neato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=kraftwerk;13923062I still say we should make a 'sticky' of which 451 rims fit which 451 tires well.[/QUOTE]

This would be a great help both for folders and recumbents.
Old 03-02-12, 07:48 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Its horrible to catch a flat and not be able to change it easily.
Are Stelvios no more? I still have 5 "okay" Stelvios to wear thru...if I can mount them~!
You say DURANO will fit on Velocity & Alex rims,
Hmmm.... they changed the name (and maybe the size) of the tire...
I was about to lace up a set of Alex rims.... and at $52.00 each for the Durano's (!)
New rims would be less expensive option!

Last edited by kraftwerk; 03-03-12 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-30-12, 11:46 AM
gate28

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting thread. Do the Durano's now match with the Velocity V section 451 rims OK? I have Stelvios and they are a nightmare. Very rarely get a puncture, but when I do it's out with the washingup liquid and 3 very sturdy spoons with nice round ends on the handles. Totally butchers the rim getting them on and off, and as Stevegor says, usually get a pinched tube to boot!!!
Old 03-31-12, 10:02 AM
Clownbike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having struggled with a variety of Schwalbe tires, including Marathon Racers, I've found the Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack to make life much easier. I keep one in the bike bag for on the road repairs.

Readily available online - https://www.treefortbikes.com/product...Bead-Jack.html, and elsewhere. It's even endorsed by Sheldon Brown.
Old 04-04-12, 09:44 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Yeah, I left my Kool-Stop bead-jack tool in a train station and had to buy another. But it irks me that I must rely on that tool to battle these tyres and rims. It does work like a dream though. Well worth the 35, or whatever, bucks.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 05-17-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 05:46 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The only thing that worked for me with STEVIOS on 16" rims was to fit with out tube a couple of times to strecth them a little. This was after three punctures tiring to fit them.