Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help! Pacific IF Reach hit by car

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-14, 10:09 AM
tartare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

My Pacific Cycles If Reach was hit by a car (with my GF on it and yes, the driver drove off).

Apparently, these are impossible to get parts for. Does anyone know if a different fork can be used that the stock fork? Anyone have parts for sale?

Thanks for any help..
Old 08-21-14, 10:35 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tartare
Hi All,

My Pacific Cycles If Reach was hit by a car (with my GF on it and yes, the driver drove off).

Apparently, these are impossible to get parts for. Does anyone know if a different fork can be used that the stock fork? Anyone have parts for sale?

Thanks for any help..
That I don't know, but what's more important - is your GF OK, and did you get the license plate number of the scum bag who hit her?
Old 08-21-14, 11:25 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ah dear... hope your GF is okay!
Old 08-21-14, 11:44 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks for any help..
Screw the bike! How's your GF doing?
Old 08-21-14, 12:14 PM
tartare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Screw the bike! How's your GF doing?
She's banged up but ok. The downside (silly to say) is that she only got a partial plate and since she isn't hurt badly, the NYPD couldn't care less about it.

Pretty traumatic for her and I'm trying to at least fix this so we don't have to junk the bike she loves. Looks pretty bad though. Looking at probably $1k in repairs, which is crazy and sad.

What a scumbag though... hits a girl on a fast left turn that he never should have taken, runs over her bike (she had a bright headlight), looks at her in the eyes, and then drives off. She saw his face (he was an Hasidim in his late 40s, which I assume would help make the identification easier), the make of car (Silver Honda Suv) and partial plate, but the cops won't do anything because she's not fatally injured. Maddening.
Old 08-21-14, 12:55 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Did you contact George Lin at Pacific Cycles? you can probably get parts factory direct .. Really awful about the accident .. I hope your girl friend heals quickly ..
Old 08-21-14, 01:11 PM
tartare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
Did you contact George Lin at Pacific Cycles? you can probably get parts factory direct .. Really awful about the accident .. I hope your girl friend heals quickly ..
Do you know where I can get his contact information?
Old 08-21-14, 01:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I just glad she wasn't seriously injured, that's all.

Now, here's the home page for Pacific Cycles, and the contact info is on it.

Pacific Cycles
Old 08-21-14, 02:21 PM
tartare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just glad she wasn't seriously injured, that's all.

Now, here's the home page for Pacific Cycles, and the contact info is on it.

Pacific Cycles
Thanks! Sent him a note. Guys at Bfold did for me too and I'm pretty sure they only mark up labor. They were telling me it might cost $400 plus shipping, plus a new wheel, which gets us into diminishing returns. Oh well.
Old 08-21-14, 02:37 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They were telling me it might cost $400 plus shipping, plus a new wheel, which gets us into diminishing returns. Oh well.
True... would your GF consider any other folding bike?
Old 08-22-14, 05:06 AM
Folding-Bikes

Bikes: Pacific-Reach SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear, but glad your GF is ok!

what do you need exactly?
Old 08-22-14, 10:42 AM
Violinfish

Bikes: Dahon HSL,NB994 16",Battle FSD 14"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear the accident.but glad your GF is ok.
Old 08-22-14, 10:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got an official Police report ? to file an insurance claim on your policy (since it was a Hit and Run)
Old 08-22-14, 11:32 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

This is a great argument in favor of using a go-pro camera. The license plate number and driver would be on file. I'm thinking of getting one now myself.
Old 08-22-14, 09:54 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great argument in favor of using a go-pro camera. The license plate number and driver would be on file. I'm thinking of getting one now myself.
Wouldn't a go-pro be overkill? I mean, there are perfectly decent cams out there for half the price.
Old 08-22-14, 09:59 PM
marxmini

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Sent him a note. Guys at Bfold did for me too and I'm pretty sure they only mark up labor. They were telling me it might cost $400 plus shipping, plus a new wheel, which gets us into diminishing returns. Oh well.
+1 on Bfold. they sell pacific reach bikes so they will surely have the parts you need. :-)
Old 08-22-14, 10:14 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by keyven
Wouldn't a go-pro be overkill? I mean, there are perfectly decent cams out there for half the price.
True. I guess just a decent video recording device would be fine. I even own a few old cell phones, so strapping one on the front of my bike would work as well. Recycling electronics!
Old 08-22-14, 11:35 PM
DoubleDiamonDog

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She's banged up but ok. The downside (silly to say) is that she only got a partial plate and since she isn't hurt badly, the NYPD couldn't care less about it.

Pretty traumatic for her and I'm trying to at least fix this so we don't have to junk the bike she loves. Looks pretty bad though. Looking at probably $1k in repairs, which is crazy and sad.

What a scumbag though... hits a girl on a fast left turn that he never should have taken, runs over her bike (she had a bright headlight), looks at her in the eyes, and then drives off. She saw his face (he was an Hasidim in his late 40s, which I assume would help make the identification easier), the make of car (Silver Honda Suv) and partial plate, but the cops won't do anything because she's not fatally injured. Maddening.
tartare - so sorry to hear about this incident and your GF's injuries and damage to her ride. I am relieved to learn that she is okay - it could have been much worse.

As for the DB that ran her over, I am may not be up to speed but I believe that if you correctly ID'ed him based on a stereotype he is a Hasid, which is singular - Hasidim is plural.

As for compensation, I think you are better off just covering it yourself. Making an insurance claim for a grand or two is a short term gain at the expense of a long term loss - higher premiums. Although it may seem like a lot of $ and unfair, in the grand scheme of things $2000 is chump change - you are lucky she was was not hurt badly. I hope that you fare well.
Old 08-23-14, 12:29 PM
tartare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, sadly no insurance. Oops on the plural! We live in Williamsburg, so directly south of us is a big Hasidic community. (Side note - great documentary on Netflx called "A Life Apart").

It was also likely a commercial plate (more than 6 digits(. Seems like enough info to narrow it down, but if you have ever been to a NYPD precinct which I was recently after being robbed at gunpoint, they are crazy behind in computer equipment. Can't exactly blame those guys for not having the tools to do quikcly what we would expect in a world of google and big data seems like it would be easy.

Crazy to me that someone can just destroy at $2k bike and get away with it. We shall see.

Originally Posted by DoubleDiamonDog
tartare - so sorry to hear about this incident and your GF's injuries and damage to her ride. I am relieved to learn that she is okay - it could have been much worse.

As for the DB that ran her over, I am may not be up to speed but I believe that if you correctly ID'ed him based on a stereotype he is a Hasid, which is singular - Hasidim is plural.

As for compensation, I think you are better off just covering it yourself. Making an insurance claim for a grand or two is a short term gain at the expense of a long term loss - higher premiums. Although it may seem like a lot of $ and unfair, in the grand scheme of things $2000 is chump change - you are lucky she was was not hurt badly. I hope that you fare well.
Old 08-23-14, 01:32 PM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I often thought the Metropolitan Police in London have a lot to answer for but it seems a worldwide malaise when someone is hit by a bad driver. I admire your girlfriend's indomitable spirit for wanting to get back on the bike again and have it repaired ASAP!

Yes contacting Pacific direct is the best option so no more to add there. It's a great bike though and well worth repairing. Best of luck and kind regards to your partner!
Old 08-23-14, 02:50 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

We live in Williamsburg
The next time you are on the J line ask for a track worker named Doug. I'm always on the J, and I'm out of 111th St. I currently do track maintenance (the guys that piss everyone off doing repairs), and I'll soon be a dual-rate track inspector who walks the Williamsburg Bridge.