Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Perfectly Symetrical Brake Lever Alignment... How?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Perfectly Symetrical Brake Lever Alignment... How?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23, 02:27 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I think I usually use both eyes when checking bike alignment, just like Chris Kyle.
Me too. And likewise when I play snooker or pool. That was just a specific tip for Jughed to try.
Old 12-24-23, 04:07 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
The Blue Lug bicycle shop in Japan has a YouTube channel in which they have lots of videos of their bike builds. A few of these videos show their process for aligning levers and other things. These videos are well-produced, and besides showing the building process, they show a little bit of the Tokyo cycling culture. They also produce videos of their staff rides in different parts of the Japan. Blue Lug’s channel
Old 12-24-23, 09:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
This thread caught my attention. I like FB's cardboard jig idea, but I like Kontact's X measurement better.

Next question: My version of this is getting handlebars perfectly perpendicular to the wheel. Instead of just tryna eyeball it, what is a geometric way to do it?
Old 12-24-23, 12:17 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
This thread caught my attention. I like FB's cardboard jig idea, but I like Kontact's X measurement better.

Next question: My version of this is getting handlebars perfectly perpendicular to the wheel. Instead of just tryna eyeball it, what is a geometric way to do it?
Eyeballs are best. The thing people get wrong is that they try to align the wheel, top tube and stem. Turn the bars out of alignment with the frame and just look at the front and back of the stem in relation to the tire exposed in front and in back of it.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-24-23, 05:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Interesting to see others have found what I intuited as well, turning the wheel does seem to help focus. But there's gotta be a geometry way.

Like what if you take a cloth measuring tape (like for sewing), and run it from handlebar tip, under the rim, and to the other handlebar tip. You should be able to measure the same number of mm on either side. I wanna go try that now.
Old 12-24-23, 06:43 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
First of all it doesn't matter since you're not perfectly symmetrical, and your hands will tell you if they're unhappy.

But since you seem to care, here's how.

Fit one lever. Take piece of cardboard and make a template. Use that to duplicate the angle on the other side.
This made me think about using a contour gauge. Most likely best used before taping.

I use a level across the hoods to match a level handlebar. Then measure from a point on the forward portion of each hood to the center the stem.

Or just eye it.
Old 12-25-23, 01:01 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I don't care about the levers being symmetrical I set brake levers up to feel natural reach and comfortable. Since most of my bikes are flat bars . The right brake lever is rotated up a little higher than the left just feels natural for me
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 12-25-23, 01:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

It seems much easier just to align the front wheel with the stem than to somehow otherwise ensure that the handlebar -- which has so many curved segments -- is perfectly perpendicular to the front wheel?

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-23, 01:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Kontact
Eyeballs are best. ... Turn the bars out of alignment with the frame and just look at the front and back of the stem in relation to the tire exposed in front and in back of it.
Totally agree with ignoring the top tube and just focusing on the stem and the front wheel.
Old 12-25-23, 02:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
It seems much easier just to align the front wheel with the stem than to somehow otherwise ensure that the handlebar -- which has so many curved segments -- is perfectly perpendicular to the front wheel?
Agree that's a geometrically equivalent goal, but the stem is a much shorter line segment to work with, so maybe harder to judge parallel, plus there are tricks of perspective depending on how you look at it
Old 12-26-23, 07:30 AM
Kontact 

Agree that's a geometrically equivalent goal, but the stem is a much shorter line segment to work with, so maybe harder to judge parallel, plus there are tricks of perspective depending on how you look at it
Seeing parallel (which is what we experience while riding a stem aligned with the wheel), is much easier and more relevant than trying to measure perpendicular between two objects with no flat sides. And using a measure like I suggested for the brake levers doesn't work very well when there are no real landmarks on the wheel and the angles are all relatively shallow.
Old 12-26-23, 09:03 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

A string through the wheel and pulled taut would be a relatively wide angle (for modern MTB flat bars)
Old 12-26-23, 02:32 PM
Kontact 

A string through the wheel and pulled taut would be a relatively wide angle (for modern MTB flat bars)
And then what do you do?
Old 12-26-23, 02:39 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts

Something I found a while back:
Strap a wooden ruler (or any straight bit of wood / metal / plastic) across the back of the forks just below the crown - it has to be flat against the fork arms.
Now compare the ends of the bars for position against the wood.
I use rubber bands to hold an 18" wooden ruler to the forks, the ends of the bars overlap by about 1/4 inch.
Old 12-26-23, 02:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
just take it to the lbs & pay them to figure it out. Free coffee while you're there dropping/picking it up too!
Old 12-26-23, 04:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Through which part of the wheel?
Old 12-26-23, 04:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Through which part of the wheel?
Just under the rim. Pull taut to the ends of the handlebars, let the wheel go where the string pulls it. Make sure the length of string on both sides is the same number of mm.

I just don't know, if the handlebars are off by x degrees, how many mm of difference that makes in string, if the method is sensitive enough.
Old 12-26-23, 04:48 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Something I found a while back:
Strap a wooden ruler (or any straight bit of wood / metal / plastic) across the back of the forks just below the crown - it has to be flat against the fork arms.
Now compare the ends of the bars for position against the wood.
I use rubber bands to hold an 18" wooden ruler to the forks, the ends of the bars overlap by about 1/4 inch.
I like that, sounds easier to try than string
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 12-26-23, 04:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Just under the rim. Pull taut to the ends of the handlebars, let the wheel go where the string pulls it. Make sure the length of string on both sides is the same number of mm.

I just don't know, if the handlebars are off by x degrees, how many mm of difference that makes in string, if the method is sensitive enough.
No, I don't think this would ensure that the axis of the wheel is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bike.
Old 12-26-23, 05:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
For those who actually care about this, there's a simple way, which requires minimal skill or effort.

Put the bike along a wall. Brace the bar solidly against the wall with the bottom and outside top stabilizing it. Measure wall to a lever reference point. Flip bike and repeat.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-26-23, 05:49 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I don't care about the levers being symmetrical I set brake levers up to feel natural reach and comfortable. Since most of my bikes are flat bars . The right brake lever is rotated up a little higher than the left just feels natural for me
It never done Beryl Burton any harm either!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton
Likes For awac:
Old 12-27-23, 12:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

No, I don't think this would ensure that the axis of the wheel is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bike.
You're talking if the stem is loose, to force the stem position before tightening? That's an idea too. I was just talking about measuring, if the two bent lengths of string are not the same, adjust and check again
Old 12-27-23, 05:38 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
For lever height, run a cloth sewing tape measure from the tip of one end of the handlebar along the bar up to the lever clamp. Repeat on the other side. Of course, you have to do this without handlebar tape.

For stem alignment, first, as has been mentioned, turn the bars and wheel away from alignment with the top tube. Then lay a straightedge on its edge along the center of the stem so that the straightedge extends beyond both the front and back of the stem. Then when you sight straight down at the straightedge, you can see if both the front and the back of the straightedge align along the center of the tire. It helps to do this sighting with one eye closed.
Old 12-27-23, 05:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

You're talking if the stem is loose, to force the stem position before tightening? That's an idea too. I was just talking about measuring, if the two bent lengths of string are not the same, adjust and check again
No. I think I understand the method you described above now that you have clarified that it is for measuring the respective distance of each bar end to the stem rather than for aligning the stem between the bar ends. Assuming that your fork is symmetrical, removing the front wheel (and thus eliminating this moving part) and then running a string from one bar end though both fork dropouts to the other bar end might be more accurate.
Old 12-27-23, 06:18 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
The irony with "ocd" is that it is in itself, "out of alignment". Think about it.

Being "healthy" or expressing "health/wholeness" is not about "fixing" things, it's understanding that there isn't anything out of place to begin with. That what "wholeness" is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.