Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What have you found on the ground while riding?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What have you found on the ground while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23, 11:53 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by reflectoes
I found a $20 bill! Then I saw another $20 bill. Then I found a phone. All of these were within about 50 yards. As I was picking up the phone it rang and agreed to meet them nearby. I asked it they had money with the phone and they said yes so I gave them the $40 as well...then they got angry at me and said "There was $80!! WHERE'S THE REST!" They got pretty mad at me when I said that's all I saw. I suggested they go look for the rest, but they accused me of taking it and left in a huff.
Great line from the Godfather comes to mind...
"Leave the gun take the cannolli."
...In this case: Leave the phone take the money.
Old 11-17-23, 02:27 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by reflectoes
I found a $20 bill! Then I saw another $20 bill. Then I found a phone. All of these were within about 50 yards. As I was picking up the phone it rang and agreed to meet them nearby. I asked it they had money with the phone and they said yes so I gave them the $40 as well...then they got angry at me and said "There was $80!! WHERE'S THE REST!" They got pretty mad at me when I said that's all I saw. I suggested they go look for the rest, but they accused me of taking it and left in a huff.
I'm so sorry you were treated that way. If it was me, I'd have been grateful. Thank you for doing the right thing.
Old 11-17-23, 05:29 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I found a full wallet on 15th Ave here in Queens.
I just started my ride, it was early AM and an old Chinese gent pointed it out and said something in Chinese as I rode by. I had 60 minutes of ride time and decided to keep going. Before the end of the block I changed my mind and turned around. Money, credit cards, drivers license, everything was still there. The address was a couple blocks away, I figured they left it on top of the car and drove off. I thanked the old guy, rode over the house and put it in their mailbox because no one was home.
There's my "Found" story.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 11-20-23, 08:11 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I find all the 10mm x 3/8" drive sockets that mechanics lose in engines.
Old 11-21-23, 09:31 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Am I the only one here who has never found anything! 🤨
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-21-23, 09:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Lately found someones dropped AirPods . case and all they were scattered. but they never marked them as lost so I could not return them after while I put them on the sidewalk where I found them. find someones diabetes kit insulin and all. before that was someones cellphone that they came at 10 at night to pick up.
Old 12-13-23, 12:26 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
A half decent utility knife. It went to the stock of not-quite-half-decent utility knives at work.
Likes For cuevélo:
Old 12-13-23, 01:14 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I have a Husky-branded knife like that, (or that might be a knockoff). All black plastic though. It's kind of a cool open/close mechanism. Also found on the ground while riding.

I also have road-found two extremely low quality utility knives, stamped metal case, everything held together with wingnuts, like you need to hold the extended or retracted blade in place by loosening/tightening the wingnut

Last edited by RubeRad; 12-13-23 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 07:42 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Am I the only one here who has never found anything! 🤨
Quit watching the birds fly over while you're out riding. I found that made a huge difference in the crap I found.... Just saying
Old 12-13-23, 07:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I found a dead Anna's hummingbird in the bike lane. I'd been feeding a bunch of them for years but never seen them up close. And from my windows, I never get to see their colors in the sun. So I picked it up. A male. Feathers perfect. In the sun, simply gorgeous. I left it in the bushes on the side of the road to feed the scavengers. Saddened but what a sight! And yes, they do not weigh anything. The penny to nickle weight I've read. Yeah.

Edit: SpedFast and Andy K, I found my bird looking down and ahead where my eyes belonged!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-03-24, 12:33 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I also have road-found two extremely low quality utility knives, stamped metal case, everything held together with wingnuts, like you need to hold the extended or retracted blade in place by loosening/tightening the wingnut
It's this from modernroofer.com

Strangely that cheap-looking piece of crap is twice the price of this better, more normal looking one. Is it actually somehow better, with the wingnut? more stable blade?
Old 01-03-24, 07:41 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
my latest find. Over the years I have found a lot of tools and a fair number of knives.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-05-24, 01:05 AM
Windows95

Bikes: Diamond Back

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I found a 2009 kennedy half dollar on the road while waiting for the light to turn
Likes For Windows95:
Old 01-05-24, 10:38 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
That "Tac-Force" knife is funny. Like it was cobbled together from two different stylings
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-05-24, 12:23 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
That "Tac-Force" knife is funny. Like it was cobbled together from two different stylings
like when cheap and cheaper collide......blade has a really good edge tho.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-05-24, 12:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The black, laser printed, maybe double-sided stabby blade says "black ops murder fantasy" while the stainless and finished wood is "snobbish duck hunter"
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-05-24, 12:54 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The black, laser printed, maybe double-sided stabby blade says "black ops murder fantasy" while the stainless and finished wood is "snobbish duck hunter"
well in all honesty it is fake wood....... has the feel of real wood so it has that going for it.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-13-24, 09:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I found a dead Anna's hummingbird in the bike lane.
Oh we're including dead wildlife? I see a lot of dead rats on my commute, but I prefer to forget about them. I also see a lot of live rats, and my feeling about them is the same as for the dead ones. Ugh.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-14-24, 05:34 PM
saulgoldie

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I can't remember it I already posted to this thread, but...

Well, I cheated a bit; I was a courier in DC for several years. And I watched the pavement carefully for tire hazards. Naturally, I saw lots of stuff that was not hazardous, but was interesting. Here are the highlights of what I found.

A Buck folding hunter knife. Battered, but not dead. A new one would have been like $60. For, like, $8 or so, Buck gives your knife the "spa treatment." Good as new. Plus, of course, I found it!
A big ass adjustable wrench. Suitable for headset nuts or use as a lethal weapon.
Numerous pieces of gold jewelry including a heavy herringbone bracelet and a fabulous gold ring with diamonds and rubies. A goldsmith friend made some of it into a custom piece.
A wad of five one hundred dollar bills. Based on the location I found it, likely either drug money or money that a hooker had lost. Impossible to return.
Several wallets. One of the wallets with useful ID, I returned one to a very ungrateful owner. I felt good about doing it, regardless.
An assortment of plyers, wrenches, screwdrivers, many sockets and allen wrenches, and one entire tool box.

OH, and...a little puppy dog! Yeah, this little guy was wondering around, avoiding cars. No humans in the immediate area seemed to know from whence he came or where he belonged. I put him in my jacket, and carried him around for an hour or so. I planned to get him to an animal shelter after work. In my travels, I met a suit. He said that he had wanted to get his kids a puppy. It seemed like the thing to do. So I handed him over and hoped for the best.

Those are the most notable highlights. It'll all be in my book if I ever write it.

Saul
Likes For saulgoldie:
Old 01-14-24, 06:02 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by saulgoldie
I can't remember it I already posted to this thread, but...

Well, I cheated a bit; I was a courier in DC for several years. And I watched the pavement carefully for tire hazards. Naturally, I saw lots of stuff that was not hazardous, but was interesting. Here are the highlights of what I found.

A Buck folding hunter knife. Battered, but not dead. A new one would have been like $60. For, like, $8 or so, Buck gives your knife the "spa treatment." Good as new. Plus, of course, I found it!
A big ass adjustable wrench. Suitable for headset nuts or use as a lethal weapon.
Numerous pieces of gold jewelry including a heavy herringbone bracelet and a fabulous gold ring with diamonds and rubies. A goldsmith friend made some of it into a custom piece.
A wad of five one hundred dollar bills. Based on the location I found it, likely either drug money or money that a hooker had lost. Impossible to return.
Several wallets. One of the wallets with useful ID, I returned one to a very ungrateful owner. I felt good about doing it, regardless.
An assortment of plyers, wrenches, screwdrivers, many sockets and allen wrenches, and one entire tool box.

OH, and...a little puppy dog! Yeah, this little guy was wondering around, avoiding cars. No humans in the immediate area seemed to know from whence he came or where he belonged. I put him in my jacket, and carried him around for an hour or so. I planned to get him to an animal shelter after work. In my travels, I met a suit. He said that he had wanted to get his kids a puppy. It seemed like the thing to do. So I handed him over and hoped for the best.

Those are the most notable highlights. It'll all be in my book if I ever write it.

Saul
Crap, I moving to DC!!!
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 01-16-24, 03:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Oh yeah. I did once find a cat. He was sitting in the middle of the path. He looked at me as I approached. He meowed as if he was asking for help. The path is between a park at the river edge and a highway, so he somehow crossed a highway to get there. Locating his original owner proved to be impossible. He lives with one of my kids now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-24, 10:08 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

This morning, a jogger. He passed me uphill.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 01-16-24, 02:32 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
This morning, a jogger. He passed me uphill.
Did you drop him at the Human* Society Shelter?
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-16-24, 02:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I couldn't catch him! He must have been going like 7 mph!!
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 01-17-24, 12:18 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Oh yeah. I did once find a cat. He was sitting in the middle of the path. He looked at me as I approached. He meowed as if he was asking for help. The path is between a park at the river edge and a highway, so he somehow crossed a highway to get there. Locating his original owner proved to be impossible. He lives with one of my kids now.

What's odd, is that both cats and dogs, if you're alert to them, chose the person they want to be their parents. We get all of our dogs from pounds and shelters, our first dog, and this is when I learned this, we went to several pounds and interacted with several dogs, none of them really could care less if we were there...except one, as we were leaving the cage area, one dog jumped up on the screen whining at us, the others could care less, my wife and I looked at each other and both of us learned that dog wanted to go home with us, so he did. After that experience, every time we go to find a dog, we let the dog chose us, and everytime we have been rewarded with a great dog.

When I was kid we got stray cats, they chose our home, and once my parents allowed the cat to stay, it was our cat from then on, they never ran off. Stray cats are very skittish, but for some reason they might find the right person, and won't be skittish to that person, and that probably happened to you NoGlider, that cat chose you.
Likes For rekmeyata:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.