Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Inspect a Frame In Pasadena? Bob Jackson Mixte

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 07:55 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts

Is there someone near Pasaden Calif that would inspect a frame for me? Maybe even ship it, for a small gratuity, cheaper than the seller?

I posted on the facistbook I was officially looking for a good tall Mixte frame and got lots of replies and suggestions. One was this great looking Bob Jackson but I wondering if the frame is just sadly dirty or if the paint is really this bad and can't be cleaned up with a little cleaning and turtle wax. Sadly the Reynolds decal is completely destroyed so no real way to tell if TreTubi or full frame. The 26.2 seatpost seems odd though.

Achtung! Attention! attenzione! I am not looking for value information with this post just a n inspector to look at the frame. The link is for information only as maybe someone may know or delt with the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37519186681...Bk9SR9DH6OS3Yw

USED Vintage Bob Jackson Steel Mixte Road Frameset 56cm Orange
For sale is a USED Bob Jackson mixte road frame set. The medium sized frame features excellent lug work, Campagnolo dropouts, headset, and cable guides, and includes a Blackburn rear rack.

SPECS:
  • Size: Medium / 56cm
  • Seat Tube (c-t): 57.5 cm
  • Seat Tube (eff): 56 cm
  • Top Tube (c-c): 55 cm
  • Top Tube (eff): 57 cm
  • Head Tube: 13.5 cm
  • Steer Tube: 17.5 cm
  • Spacing (F/R): 100mm [F] / 120mm [R]
  • Wheel Size: 700c
  • Serial: 328
  • Weight: 8.3 lb / 3.75 kg
COMPONENTS:
  • Frame: Bob Jackson, lugged, mixte
  • Fork: Bob Jackson, sloping crown
  • Headset: Campagnolo, 1" threaded
  • Seatpost: 26.2mm, not included
  • Bottom Bracket: English threaded
  • Front Derailleur: 28.6mm band, not included
  • Brake Type: Long reach sidepull calipers, not included
  • Extras: Blackburn rear rack
CONDITION: Well used 40+ year old vintage bicycle frame. Frame has grease stains and chips in paint. No apparent dents. Headset bearings are a little crunchy but usable.

SIZING: Based on traditional sizing, it could fit someone 5'6" - 5'10". Please note this is an approximate range and the buyer is responsible for verifying the fit before purchase.

---
SKU: 210000054885
20240111 - JB

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 02-20-24, 08:12 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I'm no help but that looks real cool!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-20-24, 08:25 AM
TmMc

Bikes: 1983 Miyata 710, 1983 Koga Miyata Pro-Am-B, 1984 Koga Miyata Flyer, 1983 Univega Competizione, 1984 Univega SuperStrada, 1991 Bridgestone RB-2, 2014 Haibike euro-spec Superrace, 2015 Haibike RX29, 2018 Haibike AllMtn 8.0, 2018 Haibike Urban S 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
'Around the Cycle' is a real storefront cycle shop, not just an eb*y seller. You might want to go to their website, get their phone number and just talk with them. See if there's a deal to be made there. You might want to ask them to detach the rack for a smaller package?

I've bought a couple of bikes from them. Both were well packed, and their shipping costs at the time were not that bad.

But sorry I am too far away to go there.

Last edited by TmMc; 02-20-24 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For TmMc:
Old 02-20-24, 08:49 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

small bits, in case of interest -

lug pattern: BOCAMA 31/1

seat lug: BOCAMA pattern Y

laterals bridge: BOCAMA Plain

bottom bracket shell: BOCAMA Professional

fork crown: appears it may be the Harrington rather than the more commonly encountered Davis, unable to be sure from image

see no problem

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-20-24, 08:57 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
There's really no way of knowing until you see it in person (hence your request for someone to go inspect it), but from my distant view I'd say the paint has an honest, consistent patina that would clean up nicely, leaving you with a frame with, well, a nice patina. The crumbled Reynolds decal is all too common but also consistent with the frame's general patina. All in my humble, amateur opinion, of course...
Likes For Maxey:
Old 02-20-24, 09:35 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Fortunately the frame is in Southern California. The diagonal tube brace at the seat tube is made up of stamped steel, note it was never closed up with braze. That is my concern. Water gets in there and it is only evaporation that removes it.
Old 02-20-24, 10:47 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Fortunately the frame is in Southern California. The diagonal tube brace at the seat tube is made up of stamped steel, note it was never closed up with braze. That is my concern. Water gets in there and it is only evaporation that removes it.
Saw that as well. Two things that could be done to rectify:
1. Have a framebuilder fill that gap. Of course, you'd be torching a goodly amount of paint.
2. Use some sort of derusting agent in the gap, clean and rinse as best you can, mask it and fill with JB weld. If needed, touch up the paint.

Other than that, it's a great mixte, high quality ones are hard to find.
Old 02-20-24, 10:51 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post23154642
Old 02-20-24, 11:01 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by gugie
1. Have a framebuilder fill that gap. Of course, you'd be torching a goodly amount of paint.
2. Use some sort of derusting agent in the gap, clean and rinse as best you can, mask it and fill with JB weld. If needed, touch up the paint.

As a former Bob Jackson owner, you hold them in higher regard than I would.

a rust remover/ neutralizer could do a decent job of clearing out the oxidation. I would really consider getting it brazed up. This would really push a repaint or it will be marching toward Ugly Betty territory.

all of that work plummets the value before repair.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-20-24, 11:26 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

a rust remover/ neutralizer could do a decent job of clearing out the oxidation. I would really consider getting it brazed up. This would really push a repaint or it will be marching toward Ugly Betty territory.

Since I've never owned a Bob Jackson, I assume you mean you've owned a Bob Jackson, and don't hold them in high regard?

Quality vintage mixtes are hard to find, especially in a larger frame size. I'm comparing this to what you normally find on the market. I did find this one, really tall, but it's in Great Britain. Here's a 531 Dawes in about the same size, and it's located in the same town as one of our BFer's.

Braze it up and repaint? That's gonna cost a lot, maybe twice or more what the frame is selling for. Filling that gap with JB weld would be a lot cheaper, and save the paint.

So it's not a question of what you or I would do, I'm merely suggesting another option, one that would cost under $10 to fix.
Old 02-20-24, 11:34 AM
repechage

I was very happy when I sold mine off.

JB weld or similar might work after derusting.
I view the miss as an indication of the overall interest of the builder to construct the frame.

smile and wave.
yes, difficult to find a bigger Mixtie with decent tubing.
Old 02-20-24, 12:07 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Biancigirl resides in the Midwest I believe. We don’t have the rust problems of you coastal folks. If bikes are stored out of the weather even in unheated spots we very seldom get structural rust problems. Stored indoors, we never really have troubles, so that tube fix probably wouldn’t be much of a concern.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 02-20-24, 12:37 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by sd5782
Biancigirl resides in the Midwest I believe. We don’t have the rust problems of you coastal folks. If bikes are stored out of the weather even in unheated spots we very seldom get structural rust problems. Stored indoors, we never really have troubles, so that tube fix probably wouldn’t be much of a concern.
Pasadena isn't the coast, it's 30-40 miles inland, and pretty dry.
Old 02-20-24, 12:49 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
There’s a ‘77 MB Grand Touring mixte in Vitus in my area that appears to be tall. Check OfferUp in Phoenix if interested.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 02-20-24, 12:55 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

I would think that gugie's approach would work. Maybe even Bondo in the gap.

Repechage and I have compared notes about our old Bob Jacksons before. I bought one new in 1975 that had been built sometime in the early 1970s. That was the era when a fair number of them came with bunged up bottom bracket threads. On mine, I could screw in the BB with no apparent issues, but the cups loosened a couple hundred miles later during an event ride, giving me an exciting exploded view of my bottom bracket whilst in motion.

The threads here look okay to my eye, and they certainly look like they have retained a bottom bracket in place continuously for lo these many years. I also figure that, like with Mexican-built Benotto 3000s, the passage of the decades will have weeded out all the problem children. And even if those threads are bad, there are easy solutions. The one my shop used was a Phil Wood bottom bracket installed with red Loctite. The red Loctite meant I could never remove it without a torch, the Phil Wood BB meant I would never need to remove it. Worked like a charm, including seeing me through multiple centuries and a double century. The bike rode well until it was stolen out of my garage in 1992. There are other work-arounds if need be (threadless bottom brackets or retapping the hanger to take an Italian-threaded BB are two that leap to mind).

I wouldn't be too worried about it. But then, my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.
Old 02-20-24, 01:26 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
I believe there is a contingency of NW folks headed to Pasadena for the 1st Sunday ride. If the seller can wait, maybe one of them could help facilitate.

I'd offer but I'll be in Sun Valley pouring wine to a bunch of tech gazillionaires. (who don't tip)
Old 02-20-24, 01:32 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by TmMc
'Around the Cycle' is a real storefront cycle shop, not just an eb*y seller. You might want to go to their website, get their phone number and just talk with them. See if there's a deal to be made there. You might want to ask them to detach the rack for a smaller package?

I've bought a couple of bikes from them. Both were well packed, and their shipping costs at the time were not that bad.

But sorry I am too far away to go there.

You're a lot closer than me!!!

I did call them and the person I talked to said it will probably clean up with a mild abrasive and clear coat. I might be able to get away with a good brush up and some sort of citrus cleaner in driveway on a warm morning but no way I can do a clearcoat.

After looking at the website I suspected it was a consigment frame, and the price has been reduced at least once. But I might submit an offer and see what happens.

Something else popped up and I'm not sure just how I missed it with all the marketplace scanning I've been doing.. I don't like the smaller front wheel but perhaps I can figure something out as you don't see a good condition Terry for under 100 rubles everyday.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-20-24, 01:42 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
$300 plus $73 shipping does not look risky to me. Even using Bikeflights, finding a lower shipping price seems doubtful.
Personally, I would roll the dice. The seller lists some high-end cycling items and shows a stellar history.
Sharp photos and description there, so it seems dubious to discover a big revelation.
Did the seller list on FB, as well? You mentioned something about that. If so, you could likely haggle the price down.
As a last resort, I live about twenty miles east of Pasadena and could possibly check it out. Other BF peoples live closer.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 02-20-24, 01:43 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Something else popped up and I'm not sure just how I missed it with all the marketplace scanning I've been doing.. I don't like the smaller front wheel but perhaps I can figure something out as you don't see a good condition Terry for under 100 rubles everyday.
For a Terry, that is an unusually tall seat tube. Good luck
Likes For daverup:
Old 02-20-24, 01:45 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
If that's the 24" front wheel variant of the Terry, I'd pass.

While these are wonderful frames with razor-sharp steering from the smaller front wheel, it's just too difficult to source 24" tires these days.

When I first built up a Terry Solstice for the missus, I purchased a couple spare 24" tubes just in case.

If we had to replace the front tire, precious few options to choose from, and none of them cheap.

For that reason, we sold the Terry and are now happy with 700c only frames.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 02-20-24, 02:00 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
You're a lot closer than me!!!

I did call them and the person I talked to said it will probably clean up with a mild abrasive and clear coat. I might be able to get away with a good brush up and some sort of citrus cleaner in driveway on a warm morning but no way I can do a clearcoat.

After looking at the website I suspected it was a consigment frame, and the price has been reduced at least once. But I might submit an offer and see what happens.

Not all Terry's have the 24" front wheel. That one doesn't. They have a mix of quality. My son had a men's road bike that was as nice a ride as any custom builder.
https://georgenaterry.com/tag/24-bicycle-wheels/

Last edited by curbtender; 02-20-24 at 02:03 PM.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-20-24, 02:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I would think that gugie's approach would work. Maybe even Bondo in the gap.

Repechage and I have compared notes about our old Bob Jacksons before. I bought one new in 1975 that had been built sometime in the early 1970s. That was the era when a fair number of them came with bunged up bottom bracket threads. On mine, I could screw in the BB with no apparent issues, but the cups loosened a couple hundred miles later during an event ride, giving me an exciting exploded view of my bottom bracket whilst in motion.

The threads here look okay to my eye, and they certainly look like they have retained a bottom bracket in place continuously for lo these many years. I also figure that, like with Mexican-built Benotto 3000s, the passage of the decades will have weeded out all the problem children. And even if those threads are bad, there are easy solutions. The one my shop used was a Phil Wood bottom bracket installed with red Loctite. The red Loctite meant I could never remove it without a torch, the Phil Wood BB meant I would never need to remove it. Worked like a charm, including seeing me through multiple centuries and a double century. The bike rode well until it was stolen out of my garage in 1992. There are other work-arounds if need be (threadless bottom brackets or retapping the hanger to take an Italian-threaded BB are two that leap to mind).

I wouldn't be too worried about it. But then, my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.
So, Bob Jackson quality control ~/= Raleigh from the same era?
Old 02-20-24, 03:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
What I saw and heard of Bob Jacksons of the '70s, early 80s was that there was quite a range of quality. The best were excellent bikes. My brother had a probably late '70s one that was very nice. Sadly, between his size and mine. We could both ride it but really not a keeper. But a gem for someone between us in size.

Boston had quite a few Bob Jacksons around in the '70s when I was living and racing there.
Old 02-20-24, 03:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

gugie This is interesting but a real mixte.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 02-20-24, 03:38 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
What I saw and heard of Bob Jacksons of the '70s, early 80s was that there was quite a range of quality. The best were excellent bikes. My brother had a probably late '70s one that was very nice. Sadly, between his size and mine. We could both ride it but really not a keeper. But a gem for someone between us in size.

Boston had quite a few Bob Jacksons around in the '70s when I was living and racing there.
I had a conversation with Mr Jackson in later 1974. He was visiting shops on the Westcoast that sold his frames. Might have been concurrent with the Anaheim show.
he confirmed my suspicion that the “lads” cranked the lower half of the bottom bracket shell way too tight in a vise, probably when Hot. They were turning out a lot of product. I was considering a matching pair of Road and track, he wrote a note on his business card and stated he would see to it that they were built with the latest Roto investment cast shells at no additional cost, just note the conversation in the order.

I bought a Harry Quinn and later a pair of Masi instead.

one of our shop clients had a handsome opaque lavender Jackson, the paint on most were above typical standard. Good chrome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.