Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

hitting animals

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 09:33 AM
Half-Impressive
Mices Can Bit You

Bikes: Vintage Motobecane, Schwinn Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hitting animals

ok, I'm not saying that anyone here has ever tried to hit an animal, or would intentionally hurt an animal, so lets not freak out... but sometimes its unavoidable. Lets here some good stories.

I'll start. One morning on the way to class, at like 7:30, i was riding down not really paying attention, when out of the corner of my eye I see a groundhog on the other side of the street moving around. As I get close to passing him, he ****ing sprints, straight across the street and gets caught in between my tires and my crankarms, for like one full revolution. it was the scariest wierdest **** ever. it knocked my bike sideways and I almost fell. When I got to class I had to tell someone that the whole way there I was on a sharp lookout for groundhogs.

p.s. the groundhog was fine
Old 03-02-07, 09:39 AM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning, my dog kept bugging me, so I went to work around his ears with a pipe. He settled right down. Sure he got a few bites in between hits, but you'll have that.

Old 03-02-07, 09:42 AM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was cutting across 45 Street one morning on my commute and I bunny hopped a pothole. When my front wheel landed it crushed a pigeon. It freaked me out since I would never harm an animal on purpose. It was the worst sound and feeling I have ever came across while riding my bike.
Old 03-02-07, 09:43 AM
soyboy

Bikes: raleigh gran prix converted to fixed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't really remember who but i remember someone sharing the story before of having a bird fly into their rear spokes. explosion of the animal ensued
Old 03-02-07, 09:44 AM
Aves

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ thats gross
Old 03-02-07, 09:46 AM
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are pictures floating around with the aftermath of someone hitting a squiral.
Old 03-02-07, 09:49 AM
andypants
20-Something Desk Jockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a squirrel freak out and run into the spokes of my front wheel. He spun a couple revolutions, got out and ran away. I kept going about 15mph.
Old 03-02-07, 09:54 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've kicked a pigeon on the downstroke of my crank, it flew into my bike instead of away from me. The bird was fine, kicking it probably kept it out of the spokes but it was weird.
Old 03-02-07, 09:54 AM
veggiemafia
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soyboy
i don't really remember who but i remember someone sharing the story before of having a bird fly into their rear spokes. explosion of the animal ensued
That's why I want front and rear Aerospokes. Clean slice.
Old 03-02-07, 10:00 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I never hit an animal but one hit me once. A bird. I think it was a cardinal flew right into my head. I was wearing a helmet at the time. Bird was ok and we went on our way.
Old 03-02-07, 10:01 AM
jhnmrk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on a downhill i once scooped up a squirrel with my pedal on the downstroke and sent it flying on the upstroke. squirrel was okay, he just sat there stunned for a while wondering what just happened, but eventually he took off up a tree.
Old 03-02-07, 10:17 AM
Rikardi151
redonkulous

Bikes: 2001 GT GTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerseysbest
There are pictures floating around with the aftermath of someone hitting a squiral.
Theres actually an entire webpage devoted to hit squirrels. I had a pigeon fly into my shoulder and get knocked to the ground during the first sprint of the Rocky Race.
Old 03-02-07, 10:19 AM
Rikardi151
redonkulous

Bikes: 2001 GT GTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
squirrel stories
Old 03-02-07, 10:22 AM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
back when I had big thick tangly dreadlocks, I had a mother starling dive-bomb me (as nesting birds will sometimes do). the bird got its foot stuck in my hair, so I had this pissed off, flapping thing attached to my head for a very long 5 seconds while I was riding along.
Old 03-02-07, 10:28 AM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veggiemafia
That's why I want front and rear Aerospokes. Clean slice.
Since when did Aerospokes have edges? Spinergy's yes, Aerospokes, that's just the hip factor talking.
Old 03-02-07, 10:36 AM
The LT
spin

Bikes: raleigh m-60, azonic steelhead, schwinn world sport fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
squirrel playing with low spoke count front wheel

and by playing I mean killed

more carnage

edit: fixed links
Old 03-02-07, 10:37 AM
astrx
anti-sheep

Bikes: generic lugged track frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my dorm used to have a crazy infestation of rats. it was some secret of NIMH(sp?) type stuff. since it was MIT we all thought they had electricity and what not in that little bush in front of the dorm door. anyway, on a ride home i saw one running parallel to me against the building wall, and for some reason, it just darted towards me. being the ***** I am, i took my feet off the pedals and held 'em high watching. it hit my front tire head one. i turned back and it never moved again.

o yeah, a cat ran into my front spokes too. no injury, just turned and kept on running.
Old 03-02-07, 10:38 AM
ryand
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you forgot an h in your url, i fixed it in this quote, can you fix it in the original post as well?
Old 03-02-07, 10:46 AM
CF4L
Free Loader

Bikes: Trash... for serious.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a friend that smashed a deer broad side. yes, a deer. Apparently he was riding down a hilly wooded bike path around dusk and well, the deer wanted to cross the path. He wasn't really sure who scared the sh*t out of the other one more when it happened. The deer ran off and he was left with a nice size dent in his top tube from his bars flipping around. He was just happy not to have gotten kicked.
Old 03-02-07, 10:46 AM
colnago57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've hit a ton of gophers over the years and most of them didn't survive the impact. I hit a muskrat last year with my fixed gear riding home at night. I was kinda drunk, didn't see him, and rolled right across the back of his neck. I think that's the biggest animal I've ever killed with a bicycle. I also nearly hit a deer one night biking home, I missed him (he was nice sized buck) by about an inch and a half. Just a guess, but I think he would have fared better than me.
Old 03-02-07, 10:51 AM
JimmyMack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This story is funny.

While riding with a local Junior racer (K-Dub) along the road we travel often, a squirrel came darting across our path. I hit the brakes to avoid it but K-Dub had not chance to avoid it. The squirrel hit his back wheel and somehow got caught inside the spokes in a Ferris wheel ride action. The squirrel went around about 4 to 5 times before figuring out how to jump out of the wheel, only to land on K-dubs left foot. With K-dub still pedaling, the squirrel took another 4 to 5 "Ferris wheel Laps." Trying desperately to get off the "RIDE" the squirrel jumped off his left foot, through the bike frame and now onto his right foot. Without missing a beat K-dub still pedaled as the squirrel took his now customary 4 to 5 "Ferris wheel laps." Finally the squirrel was able to get off this death ride and scattered off towards a house and (still pretty dazed from the ride) he plowed straight into a garbage can and there was a loud "Thump." He survived I'm sure but he was riddled with bad luck on this odd ride.

From --> https://www.promechanics.com/mechanic...ince060204.htm
Old 03-02-07, 11:02 AM
ryand
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CF4L
I had a friend that smashed a deer broad side. yes, a deer. Apparently he was riding down a hilly wooded bike path around dusk and well, the deer wanted to cross the path. He wasn't really sure who scared the sh*t out of the other one more when it happened. The deer ran off and he was left with a nice size dent in his top tube from his bars flipping around. He was just happy not to have gotten kicked.
I am scared of deer. Ask some of the DC members, when they are off the path I go real slow and freak out.
I'm not afraid of them in the sense that they are scary, I just fear being trampled.
Old 03-02-07, 11:10 AM
chinnt
tried to coast once

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when I used to ride motorcycles, my riding buddy said the rule of thumb was,

"Never hit anything you can't finish in a meal..."

Last edited by chinnt; 03-02-07 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-02-07, 11:21 AM
EyeRobot
Fell off the Sober Sofa.

Bikes: Independent Fabrication Deluxe XT, Club Fuji Dura Ace... Specialized Stump Jumper, Trek 930, Cannondale M300... who knows what the cat will drag in next?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once, after a drunken night, I awoke to find feathers stuck to my front rim and spokes.

Whaa?

Ideally the bird was already dead.
Old 03-02-07, 11:28 AM
Rugen
Danger! Danger!

Bikes: CAAD10, Norco A1, Bob Jackson WT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterkidz
I was cutting across 45 Street one morning on my commute and I bunny hopped a pothole. When my front wheel landed it crushed a pigeon. It freaked me out since I would never harm an animal on purpose. It was the worst sound and feeling I have ever came across while riding my bike.
No love for pigeons here. If it weren't illegal I would be the guy putting alka seltzer in bread chunks. But it is illegal so I don't. Pigeons are filty dumb rats with wings. Good riddance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.