Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Old Lemond Etape 'beats' new Giant Contend AR...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 10:16 AM
cholly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I picked up a used excellent condition (besides clean and lube, add new stem and bars, pedals I had laying around) 2008 Lemond Etape (entry level Trek/Bontrager I believe) for cheeaap. Compared to my 2021 Contend AR3 it's a rocket, responsive, fun to ride, and not harsh. Lemond has 25's and AR3 has 32's. The Lemond is a size larger, and there are definitely different geometries -- but the AR3 feels like a complete slug compared to the Lemond! And the Lemond is lighter too!

I'm not one to get into the weeds on bikes -- but any thoughts on wht such a 'discrepency?'

Thanks!
Old 01-17-24, 10:33 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
For some reason I've never understood, bikes with a higher center of gravity (i.e., bigger bikes, usually) always felt faster to me. Something about their geometry, I guess. I was usually no faster on them, though. Feeling fast and being fast---two different things.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-17-24, 10:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Lighter bikes tend to be more fun to ride. In general, they will accelerate faster and you might notice more of a surge with every pedal stroke you are putting your best effort into. Your Lemond might be giving you a better position for you with respect to where you sit in relation to the crank for the particular amount of lean to the bars you have. The bar reach on the Lemond probably stretches you out a pretty good bit more and some will like that better than having a good bend in the elbows with the bars closer.

The Giant Contend also isn't intended to be a high performance bicycle. It's just supposed to be a decent all around bike.
Old 01-17-24, 01:16 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
For some reason I've never understood, bikes with a higher center of gravity (i.e., bigger bikes, usually) always felt faster to me. Something about their geometry, I guess. I was usually no faster on them, though. Feeling fast and being fast---two different things.
I've been riding an old Cannondale Criterium that I haven't been able to replace. It is a size too big for me, but the longer top tube (I have a long torso) does make stretching out easier without a stemming it out The super steep head angle (74.25*) does make feel fast and so responsive. It is not light, but downhills are pretty exhilarating. But then again, at my age, my 3 wheel scooter can give me a thrill.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-17-24 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-17-24, 02:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Good you found one you like.
Old 01-17-24, 03:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by cholly
I'm not one to get into the weeds on bikes -- but any thoughts on wht such a 'discrepency?'
Some guesses-
- 25mm tires pumped up to a high pressure will feel faster than 32mm tires pumped to modern lower pressures, regardless of if they are actually faster or not. There is an endless analysis of why on forums, blogs, youtube, podcasts, etc if you want to get into the science of why.
- The tires on your Giant are not heavy/slow and you feel sluggish because you are using sluggish tires. Get some fast rolling light/supple 32mm tires and compare again.
- Your Giant's frame, fork, and wider tires mute vibrations more than the LeMond and feeling fewer bumps/less feedback can give the perception of being slower or sluggish.

What you should actually do is get a powermeter and ride a course at a constant power output with both bikes on the same days/in the same conditions(wind, heat, blah blah). That will tell you which bike actually beats the other.
Or, you should do none of that and just ride the bike that makes riding the most fun since this is a hobby and it should be fun.
Old 01-17-24, 04:43 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
The AR3 is a gravel / all-rounder bike. The Etape is a racing bike.

For bombing around at warp speed on paved roads, yeah, the Etape will be a lot more fun. It was designed to be.

The minute you leave pavement, the AR3 is the champ. Designed to tackle rough terrain and keep you on the bike at the same time.

The AR3 will never have the get-up-and-go of the Etape, and the Etape will be limited to paved roads for the most part, whereas the AR3 is multi-surface capable.

If the Etape is a revelation for you, then welcome to the club! We tend to like old road bikes here, so plenty to dive into if that's your thing.
Old 01-18-24, 05:36 AM
cholly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the input -- you guys rock..... Funny how this all works.
Old 01-18-24, 05:50 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
The Lemond is fast because it has a fast name.
Old 01-18-24, 09:48 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
LOL. My SL Merckx was one of my least favorite bikes...
Old 01-18-24, 01:01 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Mine is fast because it weighs 18 lbs. and is made of steel. It really is a smooth ride though even on 23's.
Old 01-18-24, 07:03 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
LOL. My SL Merckx was one of my least favorite bikes...
you should be faster then me on my Lemond.

The name has to be worth at least 10 watts.