Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bikes and Dating

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 09:56 AM
RedDeMartini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes and Dating

My friend V. was bithcing about how her boyfriend doesn't ride and what a pain it was. "is it too much to date a guy who rides a bike"? She asked, loudly, drunkenly and memorably.
I was wondering what others thought, had frustrations with, stories about etc.

I am thankfully dating an enthusiastic commuter, who doesn't care about bike culture per se but rides all over town. Oh, yeah, who has happy stories?
Old 10-07-06, 10:00 AM
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I managed to almost completely convert my girlfriend before she dumped me! Now she rides on a fixed pinarello. She kind of converted herself just hanging around with me. Still, she drives to spin class... I gotta find myself a real year-round crazy biker chick!
Old 10-07-06, 10:26 AM
soyboy

Bikes: raleigh gran prix converted to fixed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was discussing this similarly yesterday but concerning veganism and dating non-vegetarians, i think the bike thing for me atleast is more easily over looked, i don't mind walking my bike occasionally and as long as they're not car driving people i can look past it......it would be nice though to have someone that cares when i talk about my bike or understands when i talk about bike riding
Old 10-07-06, 10:33 AM
endform
blacksheep the blemish

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend commuted on her bike (which was not a super short commutte). Although she wasn't into the whole "go for 30-70 mile rides for fun thing." I did make her cry once going up to the Pittock Mansion (big, long, steep hill) , I felt a little bad, but I made us get to the top without stopping.
Old 10-07-06, 10:49 AM
gallbladder
attack!

Bikes: fixie + POS road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dating dudes who ride is pretty key. If they don't ride, they probably wont understand why you spend hours riding your bike and not them, or spending mad cash on bikes, and why you ride for hours into the middle of nowhere.
Last guy i dated, i made him a SS conversion. except he barely rode it, which was always a bummer.

Oh, bike ride dates and kissing on bikes and holding hands while riding, all rule. major pluses.
Old 10-07-06, 10:52 AM
gallbladder
attack!

Bikes: fixie + POS road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also: i talk bikes too much/look at them too much... it presents problems when you're outside with the BF and you can't hold a convo because you keep looking at people riding by--to check out their bikes.
Old 10-07-06, 10:59 AM
joelv
Loves Your Bike

Bikes: '04 Marin Muirwoods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I hope to have my first bike riding date with my gf of one year - she hasn't owned a bike until today! Not since she was a kid, anyway.

I'm very very excited about it.
Old 10-07-06, 11:01 AM
kathrot

Bikes: circle a.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my last serious bf was disinterested in riding a bike, though he loved hearing me talk about them. the only times it really presented a problem was when we were going somewhere together - i'd want to ride my bike, but he'd want to drive. we usually ended up driving because that way we could go together. that got frustrating for me, and the "i'll meet you there" line didn't really fly all that often. meh. just as well he's an ex. everyone i've dated since then has been into bikes, which is pretty nice. i don't imagine i'll date a non-biker again.
Old 10-07-06, 12:03 PM
br995

Bikes: Makino (have the parts; not yet built), EAI Barekuckle, Unknown Japanese fixed conversion, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman road bike (frame), Secret project bike, 2007 Trek Madone 5.2, Cannondale Caad3 mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need someone who can put up with my bike love, but they don't have to be into it themselves.

There are other, more important things for me to worry about in a potential mate.

Such as finding someone who likes me.
Old 10-07-06, 12:24 PM
lymbzero
otherwiseordinary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gallbladder
also: i talk bikes too much/look at them too much... it presents problems when you're outside with the BF and you can't hold a convo because you keep looking at people riding by--to check out their bikes.
Bike lust? that's what I call it.

When I was with my Ex. We'd be walking and I'd check out these bikes riding by or on the street..
She's say "are you looking at other girls?"
I'd say "No, at other bikes"

She'd get jelous still..

I think that the next girl I meet has to enjoy biking to some extent. At least commute or something.

Non bike people just don't get us "Crazy bike fanatics".
Old 10-07-06, 12:27 PM
br995

Bikes: Makino (have the parts; not yet built), EAI Barekuckle, Unknown Japanese fixed conversion, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman road bike (frame), Secret project bike, 2007 Trek Madone 5.2, Cannondale Caad3 mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lymbzero, see new signature.
Old 10-07-06, 12:43 PM
DoshKel
RIP Shiznaz.

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Eco Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My past three girlfriends were all non-cyclists. It didn't work out at all. They would get really annoyed by the fact that I would be sweaty all the time, HAD to have my bike in the house, my want to "pack" then when going to the cafe or whatever (instead of driving their cars), and spent most of my waking hours consumed with bikes day after day. My first one left me when I made her these really ****ing awesome earrings out of a chain on Christmas. She got up and left right then and there. 2nd left me when I told her family at a wedding that I feel sexually aroused when seeing a beautiful bike (as a joke of course, but I hated her family and I get sarcastic when I dislike someone). 3rd left me when she found out that I stayed up all night working on my bike a riding it. She said I was a waste of life haha.

Someone sweet will come along and make me really mad that she is faster than me and can do 10x more backwards circles. But then I’ll become attached, marry and we will end up living in the countryside of Osaka. Probably not, but I can dream yea?
Old 10-07-06, 12:47 PM
guerillaidiom
deathless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dating dudes who ride is pretty key. If they don't ride, they probably wont understand why you spend hours riding your bike and not them, or spending mad cash on bikes, and why you ride for hours into the middle of nowhere.
Last guy i dated, i made him a SS conversion. except he barely rode it, which was always a bummer.

Oh, bike ride dates and kissing on bikes and holding hands while riding, all rule. major pluses.
Where were you when I was living in mass?
Old 10-07-06, 12:55 PM
JoeEasy
Wicked Sick

Bikes: a hot pink vivalo, miyata touring bike, origin 8 cutler polo rig, 73 raliegh professional, panasonic dx 4000, bridgestone mb-4,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

who are you and why are there not more girls like you?!?!?! to find someone who rides a bike is one thing but then to find someone who is ****in into them is another!
Old 10-07-06, 01:11 PM
br995

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya know, if you guys were gay you'd have a much better time finding dates who likes bikes.
Old 10-07-06, 01:20 PM
lymbzero
otherwiseordinary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by br995
Lymbzero, see new signature.
Yahoo!
Old 10-07-06, 01:34 PM
PhattTyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pegs, get pegs.
Old 10-07-06, 01:38 PM
Red Riding Hood
girl anachronism

Bikes: cayne uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul (Paul and Pista on the forums) and I have a pretty sweet situation. Bought me my first fixed gear for my birthday two years ago and ever since I am absorbed in the culture. We can talk about bikes all day and be happy. I am not a commuter though, and Paul is, and sometimes I feel like he is a little disappointed in me. I don't feel comfortable with it yet, but eventually I'll start doing it and love it. We have a our "bikes' room" and we are the proud parents of four bikes, the newest being the Rich Adams frame he picked up at the swap meet today. It's beautiful. I'm so proud.. *misty eyes*

I love Paul and his crazy love for bikes, and no matter how mediocre we are doing with money, we somehow always support each other's crazy bike purchases.. Bikes make us happy, so we will survive! I think I am going to cry. I'm so silly.
Old 10-07-06, 01:42 PM
JoeEasy
Wicked Sick

Bikes: a hot pink vivalo, miyata touring bike, origin 8 cutler polo rig, 73 raliegh professional, panasonic dx 4000, bridgestone mb-4,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ya know, if you guys were gay you'd have a much better time finding dates who likes bikes.
::sighing:: if only.
Old 10-07-06, 02:29 PM
Paul And Pista
Slow in traffic

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Riding Hood
I love Paul and his crazy love for bikes, and no matter how mediocre we are doing with money, we somehow always support each other's crazy bike purchases.. Bikes make us happy, so we will survive! I think I am going to cry. I'm so silly.
<3

People tell us to get a room sometimes, but we can't help it. We are exhibitionists.
Old 10-07-06, 02:58 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am lucky. I share my home with cute pink Mercian touring bike, an adorable little white Torelli road bike, and their even more attractive owner.
Old 10-07-06, 03:54 PM
endform
blacksheep the blemish

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fer reals, PDOT's report on biking this year said that women represent 32% of bikers, so... that's what, 2-1? Not so great. Although if you believed some rednecks that seem to drive by occaisionally, we're all gay, so you know, maybe it doesn't matter that there's only 32% women.
Old 10-07-06, 04:15 PM
veggiemafia
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can just see myself ****ing that up for real and causing injuries to myself as well as the kissee.
Old 10-07-06, 05:38 PM
one

Bikes: Havnoonian, Specialized GC, Jap Fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DoshKel
My first one left me when I made her these really ****ing awesome earrings out of a chain on Christmas.

LOOOOOL

Sorry to hear that, but the imagery...
Old 10-07-06, 05:45 PM
MarkS

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will probably destroy the mood, but J. F orester has 20 pages dedicated to "Cycling with love." Admittedly a lot of the pages are about tandems and bikes for kids. He admits that cycling was one of the strains that ended his first marriage ... his courtship attempts are a little embarrassing, actually.

One piece of advice he has is to keep a second bike around in case you meet someone who isn't into bikes ... yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.