Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel like everytime they ride could be their last?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 06:47 PM
YYZ>LAX
harry gahtoe

Bikes: onewithwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I try to avoid running reds but sometimes it just happens, and then theyres idiots that honk because they think you should be riding on the sidewalk that I flip off all the time
Old 10-30-07, 06:49 PM
curiousincident
end of biters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running reds might be a big part of your problem there.

Nah it's cool, I do it too. You just have to get yourself in the zone, keep track of what's happening around you, stay on top of things and figure out what you can and can't get away with. Also, the more you ride a route the safer you'll feel. You'll figure out light timing, normal traffic patterns, and all that good stuff. I've ridden a few routes around town for a couple years now and I can get my way through what probably looks like a sticky situation without really thinking much of it.

And as far as ******* drivers go, by all means flip them off. I tend to be less confrontational and ride away from people like that, it makes it easier to know that I'm the one who is right by ignoring the haters.

Last edited by curiousincident; 10-30-07 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 06:51 PM
S.Lemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On occasion i feel that way. Usually it's after i do something because i am in a hurry and later realize how poor a decision it was. I am pretty good these days though about not running reds and i try to stay calm when it comes to bad drivers.
Old 10-30-07, 06:57 PM
euphoria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
coincidentally enough, most of my near-death experiences happened while I was intoxicated at night
Old 10-30-07, 07:23 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride very conservatively, and yes.
Old 10-30-07, 09:01 PM
kidtwisty
Track Tricyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by YYZ>LAX
that I flip off all the time
you are too legit.

\m/
Old 10-30-07, 09:07 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YYZ>LAX
I try to avoid running reds but sometimes it just happens, and then theyres idiots that honk because they think you should be riding on the sidewalk that I flip off all the time
i think if you run reds and people honk, you're doing it wrong. you need to have a flow and just go with it....stop if you need to (run a brake if you must), if ou don't, go, but if you don't have the flow, you'll get in the way. you need to be ninja about it--unnoticed, you strike before they even know it.

in other words, calm down, stop running reds, watch other people riding and running reds/splitting lanes, etc...and learn how to do it quickly, safely, and without getting in the way or being noticed.
Old 10-30-07, 09:46 PM
knucks

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to stay with traffic in the busy portion of town, but sometimes they drive soo slow and give way to pedestrians that I just get pissed and go around them..

Speaking of which, say you have 4 cars ahead of you at a 4-way stop. Do you go past the cars on the left to make a left turn?
Old 10-30-07, 09:56 PM
curiousincident
end of biters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knucks
Speaking of which, say you have 4 cars ahead of you at a 4-way stop. Do you go past the cars on the left to make a left turn?
I usually do, a lot of the time you can sort of share the right of way with the car at the head of the pack when they go through the intersection then just slow down and get behind them after you make the turn.

But I loathe 4 way stops. It's seriously impossible to make cars at 4-way stops happy. Whenever I try to stop like I'm supposed to, they always wave me on like they're doing me some big favor after I just killed my momentum so they could take their right of way. That or they're really impatient about it, like they're so annoyed they have to wait for me when I'm obviously already waiting for them. If I roll through in such a fashion that they could have kept driving as if I wasn't there and they would never have known the difference, they get pissed that I 'cut them off'.
Old 10-30-07, 09:58 PM
shumacher

Bikes: 95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by euphoria
coincidentally enough, most of my near-death experiences happened while I was intoxicated at night
Is that really coincidence?
Old 10-30-07, 10:12 PM
~Stuart~
oOooo, five bucks

Bikes: Giant OCR touring(06), Norco Storm (05)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not often, but today 2 guys in a truck nearly hit me so i yelled at them and they yelled back, then i told the passenger to stop giving the driver a handjob and let him concentrate on driving... then i decided it would be a good idea to cut through a park as they both got pretty mad
Old 10-30-07, 10:29 PM
Civilian.D
SWED

Bikes: 2k12 Kilo TT Stripper/'98-'99 Schwinn S-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curiousincident
I usually do, a lot of the time you can sort of share the right of way with the car at the head of the pack when they go through the intersection then just slow down and get behind them after you make the turn.

But I loathe 4 way stops. It's seriously impossible to make cars at 4-way stops happy. Whenever I try to stop like I'm supposed to, they always wave me on like they're doing me some big favor after I just killed my momentum so they could take their right of way. That or they're really impatient about it, like they're so annoyed they have to wait for me when I'm obviously already waiting for them. If I roll through in such a fashion that they could have kept driving as if I wasn't there and they would never have known the difference, they get pissed that I 'cut them off'.

+100000

i have 2 4-way stops each way on my daily work commute, and it drives me nuts. no matter WHAT i do i can't please the motorists. i'm thinking about just starting skitching the intersection w/ a car going my direction so at least only 1 motorist will be pissed at me instead of 2-3. i usually used to just wait my turn but too many people gave me the condescending wave-through, then i kinda gave up on that. and those people that wait like they want you to go, then start to go right after you've decided "**** it i guess i'll go", then wait again as i notice they were going to hit me and started trackstanding again... ahh!
Old 10-30-07, 10:39 PM
Tangsooyuk
jooseyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humancongereel
i think if you run reds and people honk, you're doing it wrong.
Same thing I was thinking. If people often honk when you are going through reds then you are either cutting it too close or you are in a city full of overly angry drivers.

I dont have many 4way stops where I need to make lefts and even when I do there are rarely cars in all directions. When that does happen though I have always gotten through them smooth various ways; riding the yellow lanes and then turning right behind the on coming car, getting behind the lead car then turning, or maybe even going all the way to the left and crossing like a pedestrian then turning. How I approach it all depends on the area and time of day though.
Old 10-30-07, 10:41 PM
mahoneymetal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the worst and used to happen to me nearly every morning. Most people don't realize we can stop on a dime and they sit there with that "deer in headlights" look 'till you come to a complete stop. Even when I make solid eye contact and wave them through well in advance. I appreciate their attempt at being courteous but man I hate losing momentum (especially in the morning). Alot of times I just merge to the side of the road opposite their position and kick it up a notch. You can fly through an entire intersection before any vehicle will get a couple yards into it but it's all getting the hang of timing and situations. You'll find out that the more you ridethe tighter your gaps get.

This was another contributing factor to me not using lights/reflectors etc.. years ago. Once I became quite adept at city riding I learned that the less people see me the less problems I encounter with them being unable to negotiate the situation or freaking out and a-breakin' my stride.

Last edited by mahoneymetal; 10-30-07 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 10:49 PM
666pack
tarck bike.com exile

Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i go through a few two way, three way and four way stops on my daily commute to work. pretty much every stop sign i come to i nearly get hit now, drivers DO NOT know how to deal with bicyclists on the road here on my campus. it's come to the point where i just get in the middle of the road, feather my brake a little to shave off speed and then just blow the sign.

but yeah, that way most drivers don't even notice me, and i can just sneak down the roads. it's really the best when drivers are even unaware that you're around them, that way they don't do what they think is best for you and end up nearly killing you.
Old 10-30-07, 11:01 PM
YYZ>LAX
harry gahtoe

Bikes: onewithwheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've never gotten honked at going through a red, just when im inside the right lane. though if some motorists were really inattentive im sure i woulda been hit a few times going through reds
Old 10-31-07, 12:02 AM
metaljim
Banned.

Bikes: 2009 Surly Steamroller, 19?? Fuji ?, 19?? Univega Viva Sport, Marin/Xtracycle combo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humancongereel
i think if you run reds and people honk, you're doing it wrong. you need to have a flow and just go with it....stop if you need to (run a brake if you must), if ou don't, go, but if you don't have the flow, you'll get in the way. you need to be ninja about it--unnoticed, you strike before they even know it.

in other words, calm down, stop running reds, watch other people riding and running reds/splitting lanes, etc...and learn how to do it quickly, safely, and without getting in the way or being noticed.
+1. and when not in heavy traffic, i always "own" the lane if there is no bike path. i just ride out near the middle so no one has a chance to try and squeeze past me since they have to change lanes. sure, some people get mad i bet, but it sure beats those rear view mirrors coming within inches of my bars when some jack off decides to muscle his car past me like a dick. it also avoids me being a hot head and running my mouth when i catch up to them at the light.

but honestly, i feel safer riding my bike than i ever did riding my vespas around town. mostly due to the lower speeds i think. more reaction time usually, and sometimes even better maneuverability (being smaller and lighter helps with lane splitting or jumping on to a curb or even off the bike to avoid an accident).
Old 10-31-07, 04:29 AM
kludge
san francisco nucka!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People who are thinking about suicide often give clues to their feelings. However, there is no single "type" of suicidal person; everyone is vulnerable. These warning signs are only "red flags" that could be helpful for recognizing possible suicidal thinking.

* Excessive gloominess. Sadness and social isolation can be clues to depression. Although everyone has sad feelings at times, prolonged sadness can be dangerous.
* Withdrawal. Withdrawing from formerly pleasurable activities, refusing to talk with friends or family, or choosing to be alone most of the time can be signs of depression.
* Personality changes. Marked changes in attitude and personal appearance sometimes precede suicide attempts. Changes in eating or sleeping patterns also are common.
* Moodiness. Mood swings can be a sign of depression. Also, it is important to be aware that if someone suddenly becomes very calm after a period of deep gloom or moodiness, he or she may have decided on a suicide plan. The calm stems from having made the decision.
* Self-destructive behavior. Sudden participation in dangerous activities, such as high-speed driving or unsafe sex, can be clues to suicidal thinking. Reckless use of alcohol and drugs often goes hand in hand with suicide.
* Struggles caused by life crises. Grief over the loss of a loved one, divorce, loss of health, or an accident may prompt a suicide attempt. Problems with self-esteem that follow loss of a job or a financial setback also can trigger self-destructive thoughts.
* Giving away possessions. A person who is thinking about suicide often disposes of cherished belongings and settles unfinished business, such as preparing a will.
* Actual threats. The assumption that people who threaten suicide never really go through with it simply is not true. All threats should be taken seriously.

so like......put on a brake?
Old 10-31-07, 09:11 AM
colnago57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ~Stuart~
then i told the passenger to stop giving the driver a handjob and let him concentrate on driving...
That is one hell of a good line, I've still got coffee in my sinuses.
Old 10-31-07, 09:21 AM
jdeane4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live, you flip a motorist off and you'll probably get shot or killed in some way...wE gOt MaD GanGStErS YO!!
Old 10-31-07, 09:27 AM
vuduchyld

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No, I never feel that way.

Traffic is like the weather. You can talk about it, but you can't do much about it.

Relax and enjoy the ride.
Old 10-31-07, 09:42 AM
buzzybelmondo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
every ride COULD be your last
why think about it
Old 10-31-07, 09:56 AM
1fluffhead

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any day could be your last.....something gotta get ya.
Old 10-31-07, 10:16 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Unless they're really deserve a report, just ignore honks and stuff. You'll live longer. They won't.
Old 10-31-07, 10:24 AM
curiousincident
end of biters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mahoneymetal
You can fly through an entire intersection before any vehicle will get a couple yards into it but it's all getting the hang of timing and situations. You'll find out that the more you ridethe tighter your gaps get.
Very true, this is usually what I go for now, depending on the amount of traffic. I always try to accommodate cars and share the road gracefully, but at 4 way stops I've been getting to that '**** it, whatever' point and just get through them as quickly as I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.