Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Axiom Streamliner Anyone?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 08:46 AM
anaheim flash

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.axiomgear.com/products/ge...eamliner-road/

i like the extra heel clearence and ease mounting, but i am wondering if the single eyelet mount at the top with cause any problems, as in un-balanced load causing a bend in the arm, etc etc...
so, if anyone has experience or knows of anyone who does, let me know before i order my new rack.
Old 02-03-10, 03:03 PM
asharx

Bikes: GT ZR5000, GT Timberline, Chariot Chauffeur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this rack. I had no issues at all other than tightening the bolts at the bottom of the rack once a month. I found the material used in the bracket was strong enough, I would ride with only one pannier loaded on the right side.

My only problem going into this season has nothing to do with the rack. My new bike doesn't have eyelets in the rear, so I will have to either get a seat post rack or mount the streamliner to the wheel.
Old 02-03-10, 03:27 PM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have that rack as well. I have only used panniers on it once, but I have ridden the bike while sitting on the rack. It seems plenty strong.
It is made to be mounted on the QR skewer, but I tried that and didn't like it because I couldn't remove the rear wheel without taking the rack off first. I instead mounted it on the dropout eyelets. I'll give it a better workout next year.
Old 02-04-10, 09:53 AM
andrewmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glynis27
I have that rack as well. I have only used panniers on it once, but I have ridden the bike while sitting on the rack. It seems plenty strong.
It is made to be mounted on the QR skewer, but I tried that and didn't like it because I couldn't remove the rear wheel without taking the rack off first. I instead mounted it on the dropout eyelets. I'll give it a better workout next year.
I have this rack as well; I was able to wiggle the rear hub out by unbolting one of the arms and working the hub out slowly - definitely a pain, but doable roadside with wrench and multitool.

I also found that it interfered with my cascadia fenders - the narrowness of the rack and its location on my bike (paddy wagon - it has relatively short chainstays) meant that the nuts that hold the fender stays in place interfered with the arms of the rack.

Otherwise it's great - plenty of heel clearance, which is predominately why I bought it.
Old 02-04-10, 07:44 PM
anaheim flash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, after reading alot online, i skipped it and went for the topeak super tourist for disk brakes.
Old 02-10-10, 12:24 PM
asharx

Bikes: GT ZR5000, GT Timberline, Chariot Chauffeur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asharx
I have this rack. I had no issues at all other than tightening the bolts at the bottom of the rack once a month. I found the material used in the bracket was strong enough, I would ride with only one pannier loaded on the right side.

My only problem going into this season has nothing to do with the rack. My new bike doesn't have eyelets in the rear, so I will have to either get a seat post rack or mount the streamliner to the wheel.
Last night I went and did the install of my rack. It was easier than I expected. I would much rather have this mounted rather than a seat post rack.