Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

bike gps? garmin oregon, etrex and montana (and more??)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 10:07 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I want to get a handheld gps that runs on AA batteries, for cycling. I don't have data plan on my iphone, and the map function on that thing drains the battery life. I also want to use this for long distance trips on my motorcycle, hiking if I ever get to it, as well as visiting new places/addresses. so basically, a base map would be nice, but a lifetime updated map with street navigation would be even better.

I found the garmin oregon, etrex and montana. Does someone know these devices have a good idea what are the comparisons that separates these gps from each other?

also, it'd be nice to understand what the more advanced versions of each gps actually has. I know the etrex 2.0 and 3.0 both have street navigation, so in what ways is the 3.0 better?

thanks

Last edited by spectastic; 07-04-14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-04-14, 11:15 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Etrex does damn near everything you'll want. Its downside is that its bigger and heavier due to the AA battery compartment. Can't comment on the others but I love love love my etrex. Never lets me down and is 100% rain proof.
Old 07-05-14, 01:43 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I bought the etrex 10 on a whim from walmart to visit my parents in KS. I'm going to return it because all it has is a basemap that gives you a waypoint to the city, nothing else. in other words, it's next to useless for road trips unless you're stuck in a desert and need to know which way to the nearest city... and the display is on par with the 1st gen gameboy..

I'm assuming you have either the 20 or 30? can you find specific addresses with it? it tells you all the directions like anny other gps, and you get lifetime update and everything on it?
Old 07-05-14, 01:56 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I have an etrex 20 and use open source maps. The open source maps have been extremely detailed (even down to park benches when hiking in germany!).
Yes you can ask the etrex to calculate routes for you.

Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap
Old 07-05-14, 02:01 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
okay, what about other ones like oregon and montana from garmin? any input for those?
Old 07-05-14, 02:09 AM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by znomit
I have an etrex 20 and use open source maps. The open source maps have been extremely detailed (even down to park benches when hiking in germany!).
Yes you can ask the etrex to calculate routes for you.

Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap
Thats what I use in South Korea. Its accurate to a degree. Misses some minor alleys and some streets aren't named but they are all there and it can direct you in its own... unique way. On a bike I prefer to use the map and my brain to get me there. Last time I let it pick it directed to me to the busiest 6 lane roads it could.
Old 07-05-14, 02:31 AM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With sports-oriented GPS units, good maps are ALWAYS extra. Does not matter which unit you get. For a low-end unit like etrex 10, you can expect to pay as much if not more for the set of maps covering the continental U.S. as for the unit itself. The workaround, as suggested above, is to use OpenStreetMap.

The biggest difference between etrex 20 and 30 is, IIRC, the barometric altimeter in the 30 giving you more accurate elevation data. You can check Garmin's web site for the exact list of differences.
Old 07-05-14, 02:38 AM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamster
With sports-oriented GPS units, good maps are ALWAYS extra. Does not matter which unit you get. For a low-end unit like etrex 10, you can expect to pay as much if not more for the set of maps covering the continental U.S. as for the unit itself. The workaround, as suggested above, is to use OpenStreetMap.

The biggest difference between etrex 20 and 30 is, IIRC, the barometric altimeter in the 30 giving you more accurate elevation data. You can check Garmin's web site for the exact list of differences.
Its actually a nice tool. My vista hcx has that and a compass. Means its useful as a navigation tool even if you can't get gps working - and that is very rarely. The other use is to look at the raw data and predict the local weather. Its a actually rather accurate...
Old 07-05-14, 03:19 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spectastic
okay, what about other ones like oregon and montana from garmin? any input for those?
The two are very similar in many ways but the Montana gives you a bigger screen. The Montana is better in many ways than the older Oregons but from what I can tell from the spec the newer Oregons are better than the Montanas, unless you want the big screen.

I use a Montana on my bike. It's big and cumbersome but the big screen is good for navigation. Sadly Garmin don't seem to be able to process the idea that text doesn't have to be huge so you can still only have four data fields in the space above the map, which sometimes gets annoying (on a long ride I'd really like to have my speed, average speed, gradient, time of day, heart rate and trip meter in one easy-to-read strip).

In daylight a single Montana battery - it comes with its own custom battery and also takes 3xAA batteries - will usually last me 12-13 hours and sometimes a little more. In distance terms I can get about 250km before it fails, naturally if it's dark and I'm using the backlight that drops off. It's odd that it takes three AA batteries but if you know in advance you can take them with you.

It will support assorted paid-for maps and also the OpenStreetMap maps. I don't use OSM for navigation - for looking at where I am and where I'm going they are fine but I've found the routing algorithms to be rather unusual. If you want to find a tortuous route when an easy one exists, tell OSM to navigate by bicycle. I gave up routing with them after it ignored the mile-long road that led straight to my home in favour of a six-mile route that went all over the place, taking in some of the busiest roads in the area. I also had some odd issues with OSM maps on an older GPS where it gave up on routing and merely drew a succession of straight lines and right-angle turns, and when it told me to turn onto the motorway (where bicycles are prohibited) as I cycled over a bridge over the motorway I realised I was going to have to navigate for myself. It also has a nasty habit of assuming that "bicycle" means "can use trails" so if there's an overgrown path consisting of two inches of water standing over six inches of wet mud with six-foot-high stinging nettles on both sides you can be sure the GPS will tell you to use it.

I've really liked using my Montana although as my needs evolve I've been considering using a weatherproof smartphone in a cradle, attached to an external battery pack and possibly a dynamo hub for longer rides.
Old 07-05-14, 09:01 AM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my Garmin Oregon 550 on my bike. The main difference between an Oregon and the Etrex models is that the Oregon uses a touch screen and the Etrexes use buttons. As far as features go, I'd say the Etrex 30 is pretty similar to the Oregon 450 as both have a barometric altimeter, and the Oregon 550 adds a camera. I use the Oregon like a speedometer and don't use the maps much for routing, but if you want to do that the City Navigator is almost a must. However, the most recent version of City Navigator probably isn't necessary and previous years' versions are pretty cheap.

Last edited by unabowler; 07-05-14 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-05-14, 12:07 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used my Oregon 550t on the bike and it works pretty well. I also have the Etrex and it's also a good unit for this purpose. Lighter than the Oregon and MUCH lighter than the Montana. I've used the Oregon on my motorcycle also and it worked quite well for that as well. The touch screen works well and even with gloves. Like unabowler stated, you'll need to buy City Navigator and the Garmin Basecamp takes some getting used to. Both the Etrex and Oregon are also great off the bike.
Old 07-05-14, 12:40 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
so I'll need city navigator for hand held devices, but not a nuvi?? that sucks. I might also use it to visit europe this year, which means another map pack.

maybe I'll just get a nuvi, tomtom or somehting and power it with a AA battery usb charger. It's something extra to carry, but not by much.
Old 07-05-14, 05:35 PM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
so I'll need city navigator for hand held devices, but not a nuvi?? that sucks. I might also use it to visit europe this year, which means another map pack.

maybe I'll just get a nuvi, tomtom or somehting and power it with a AA battery usb charger. It's something extra to carry, but not by much.
We have a Nuvi too, for the car, and City Navigator is just like the maps that are preloaded on the Nuvi. Someone mentioned earlier that they used the free Open Street maps and that might work instead of City Navigator. On the bike you mainly want the roads and not necessarily the stores and restaurants which you get with City Navigator.

Moreover, I lost my City Navigator chip a few weeks back and I still use my Oregon in a way similar to the Garmin Edge 500 which doesn't have maps. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy another one because I usually ride roads that I know so I'm not using my GPS for routing. When I upload to Garmin Connect (or to Strava or MapMyRide) I can see the route I rode on the map.
Old 07-05-14, 10:36 PM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Open street maps give you busnesses as well. Not all but a pretty good selection. Gets all the hospitals and schools, most of the apartment complexes. Not bad for a free map.
Old 07-06-14, 12:13 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
looks pretty cumbersome.. that's a 4x AA battery powered usb charger

but about $300 cheaper than a handheld with city navigator.

but I suppose with road trips on a motorcycle, a setup like that can be easily done on the handlebar. and in cycling, I'm never really travelling fast enough to need the GPS all the time. you can probably stick the two together with velcro, and tie the wire down with a strap... I think I'll give that a shot and rig this thing up. main driver being price

my only complaint with the nuvi is the battery. it's not removable, and it's definitely perishable. once that thing sees the inside of a incubating car, the battery life will start to go down to nothing....

Last edited by spectastic; 07-06-14 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 08:52 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I have an old Garmin eTrex Legend mounted on the handlebars of my MTB. It has never failed me and always keeps within 19 or 20 feet of my position. It's also loaded with features too, many of which I have used when hiking, and also in the fall going deer hunting with some buddies way out in the George Washington National Forest in Virginia, where I was thinking I'd end up miles away from any sign of civilization. Long story short, the Garmin eTrex handled everything perfectly!

It works great on the MTB and keeps track of my speed, my location, and how long I've ridden and also stopped. It has withstood a few bumps, jumps, and splashes through mud, and still works like a charm!