Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking at indoor trainers

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Looking at indoor trainers

Old 12-29-19, 03:45 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Another +1 for used. I was all keen to go when I discovered cycling years ago. I went out and bought a trainer, convinced I'd be using it regularly. Turns out I used the trainer half a dozen times and then the trainer sat in my closet. I ended up selling the trainer to a friend of mine who reported similar usage. I suspect there are a lot of people out there in the same boat. Check the used market before shelling out the cake for a new one. Just my $0.05.
Old 12-29-19, 05:46 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I have a used Fluid2 that I'm looking to sell but I'm in NY, not Texas. I bought a Kickr Core and never looked back.
Old 12-30-19, 05:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I am on my second Kickr Snap after the first one died a noisy death in 10 weeks of moderate use. Warranty service was good, but, based on my experience and what one reads, I would not touch this product used.
Old 12-31-19, 09:23 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I've recently jumped on the smart trainer bandwagon. I've had two "dumb' inexpensive trainers and found them useless. The resistance was too constant on the ones I used, and riding it was just too boring. I just never used them. The setup was too much of a hassle for a miserable experience. I found an original Cycleops Hammer on CleverTraining for $599 and decided to give it a go.

Having something external control the resistance to vary the experience has made all the difference in the world for me. I've done about 10 workouts so far with Zwift and I am able to stick with it and get in rides when the weather isnt good for outdoor cycling. Being able to sync to Strava and have a way of seeing history all in one place is nice too. This is also my first time seeing power number on my rides and that has also been interesting and useful. I think the flywheel makes a significant difference as well - you get a little bit of the sensation of coasting if you stop pedaling or slow down. Its still no substitute for going out on a real ride, but I'm hoping I can keep some fitness going through the winter and rainy days.

Keep your eyes out for deals, you might find something smart that's around the same price as a dumb trainer + Power meter.

Last edited by pallen; 12-31-19 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 02:00 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
I'd advocate for whatever it would take for you to get onto Zwift or similar if there is anything that compares today. I've had Wahoo smart trainers which were perfect for this and I don't have experience with anything less expensive. Zwift however can transform indoor training into something you actually look forward to doing.
Old 01-06-20, 03:46 AM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag
With winter approaching looking at some trainers. Dont care about smart stuff...i just wanna work hard in the offseason at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Sportneer-Tra...ct_top?ie=UTF8

was looking at this guy above, but seems very low cost to me....can anyone share some thoughts? whats a good price point? Magnetic or Fluid?>?>

thanks yall,
JAG
Someone's almost certainly posted this before...it's a video of Shane Miller (GPLama) showing how to set up a budget (<$300) Zwift setup, using:
- Wheel-on dumb trainer
- Speed sensor
- Cadence sensor
- Laptop or tablet
- Fan to keep him cool

Last edited by FML123; 01-06-20 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Change of comment
Old 01-06-20, 03:50 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
thanks for the reply....

I got the dump fluid mag trainer, have speed and cadence on my bike already so can use that to keep track of the metrics i want...works great so far...

JAG
Likes For sirjag: