Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cancellation Crybaby Thread

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cancellation Crybaby Thread

Old 05-26-20, 06:00 AM
BNSF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Early this year, I planned to participate in six different cycling events-- actually five plus the first one I was going to do on my own.
1. Mid- March: Cycle DC to Mt. Vernon and back for the day with a tour of the Mt. Vernon estate. This was going to be on my own, and I even booked my flight a day early for my meeting so I could do this ride.
3. May: North Fork Century in Long Island: A great opportunity to visit family and get in a century
4. August 15: Crater Lake Century in Oregon
Consider yourself fortunate to have a lifestyle that allows so much travel for personal reasons. Are you retired?
Old 05-26-20, 08:07 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I signed up for most of my charity rides at the beginning of the year or when the rides are first posted. This year, I signed up for three prior to the CV-19 cancellations. Each of the ride promoters sent out emails to those that had already registered and advised us that we could respond to the email to get our full refund back. Since the money was going for charity, I never responded. They certainly can use the money more than me, especially now.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 05-26-20, 01:13 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
My buddies and I have been showing up to the cancelled events, getting last years routes off ridewithgps, and riding them anyway.
Likes For frogmorton:
Old 05-26-20, 01:43 PM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
The good news is I was there along with my son and the moyle
Point of order there achi, that’s ‘mohel’ not moyle. Nevertheless, mazel tov!
Old 05-26-20, 01:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Strange
Point of order there achi, that’s ‘mohel’ not moyle. Nevertheless, mazel tov!
Actually it's מויל
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-26-20, 02:17 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I've tried to keep everything in perspective. My little area was not nearly as hard hit as some areas of the country; harder than some, much better than most, and my job wasn't affected. Not infected yet, nor any family that I know of so far, so things are good. I'm mindful that things are truly awful for a great many of our countrymen, whether it's because they've lost their income, or their loved ones, or their own lives. Any little annoyances I've faced are truly miniscule by comparison.

As far as cycling goes only the things I've missed due to the virocalypse are group rides. Most of the events around here that I know about are in the Fall when things get cooler. Hopefully things will have cleared up enough by then that the events can take place safely. If all goes well I'm hoping to do at least the Tour de Tucson century and the Tour de Mesa later on this year.
Old 05-26-20, 03:12 PM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glennr
actually it's מויל
.אתה מדבר אמת
Likes For Strange:
Old 05-26-20, 06:25 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Yeah so this was my first year joining a bike club, got in the St Patrick's day ride before lock down.
  • Lost a family member... Funerals via Zoom are *****
  • Lost a childhood friend
  • 2 family members recovered
  • Zip code I grew up in is a top 15 hotspot in NY
  • F*ck COVID-19

so yeah bike things cancelled boo
Old 05-26-20, 06:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
Yeah so this was my first year joining a bike club, got in the St Patrick's day ride before lock down.
  • F*ck COVID-19

Sux big time. Sorry for you loss.
Old 05-26-20, 07:06 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
And your point is????
His point is pretty obvious and he explains it in detail.
He is bummed that events are cancelled and is wondering if anyone else is also bummed.
Judging by the responses so far he is not alone.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 05-27-20, 02:20 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF
Consider yourself fortunate to have a lifestyle that allows so much travel for personal reasons. Are you retired?
I do consider myself fortunate. I am not retired, but I make a fairly comfortable living. I also have little to no desire for material things with the exception of two really nice bass guitars and a couple of nice bikes. The basses paid for themselves and more with the part-time work my music hobby has allowed me. I can't seem to find a way for the bikes to pay for themselves. Oh well. While others in my line of work live in bigger homes and drive cars twice the price of mine, I'm comfortable with the functionality of most material objects. For example, my Kuat bike rack sits on the back of a 2013 Mazda 3 hatchback. The Washington, DC business trip was paid for by another company; I was just going to pay for the one extra hotel room night and the $40 fee for my extra bag that my folding bike fits in. Flights to Long Island from SE Florida are commonly inexpensive, and I have family to stay with when I'm there. And yes, they insist that they feed me. The trip to Oregon was my own expense, but most of it was paid for with credit card points. I realize I'm fortunate, but I also try to be smart about how I can attach some selfish fun without breaking the bank.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 05-27-20, 02:30 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
  • F*ck COVID-19

Wow. I'm so sorry for you and your family. Yeah. The biking issues obviously pale in comparison to losing family or friends and also those whom have lost income. Perspective...
Old 05-27-20, 03:18 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Today the US will cross the 100,000 dead threshhold due to COVID. Maybe one of them or their families and friends will feel sorry for your loss of riding opportunity.

You know, you can ride your bike without it being an event and far away? The people who were lucky enough to recover from COVID will have scared lungs and limited lung function the rest of their life and may not be able to ride again.

But yeah, your problem is the big problem to worry about.
You're being a putz!

You win the "cancellation crybaby thread" award.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 05-27-20 at 03:22 AM.
Likes For Doctor Morbius:
Old 05-27-20, 03:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I do consider myself fortunate. I am not retired, but I make a fairly comfortable living. I also have little to no desire for material things with the exception of two really nice bass guitars and a couple of nice bikes. The basses paid for themselves and more with the part-time work my music hobby has allowed me. I can't seem to find a way for the bikes to pay for themselves. Oh well. While others in my line of work live in bigger homes and drive cars twice the price of mine, I'm comfortable with the functionality of most material objects. For example, my Kuat bike rack sits on the back of a 2013 Mazda 3 hatchback. The Washington, DC business trip was paid for by another company; I was just going to pay for the one extra hotel room night and the $40 fee for my extra bag that my folding bike fits in. Flights to Long Island from SE Florida are commonly inexpensive, and I have family to stay with when I'm there. And yes, they insist that they feed me. The trip to Oregon was my own expense, but most of it was paid for with credit card points. I realize I'm fortunate, but I also try to be smart about how I can attach some selfish fun without breaking the bank.
Same here. I’m 55 and have only bought two cars in my life, neither of which were/are fancy. Paying off the current one this month. Very modest house which I paid off early after buying with a relatively large down payment. Not a clothes horse. Don’t need the latest and greatest of everything. And I’ve paid my dues at my job and now get 5 weeks of vacation.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-27-20, 04:38 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Today the US will cross the 100,000 dead threshhold due to COVID. Maybe one of them or their families and friends will feel sorry for your loss of riding opportunity.

You know, you can ride your bike without it being an event and far away? The people who were lucky enough to recover from COVID will have scared lungs and limited lung function the rest of their life and may not be able to ride again.

But yeah, your problem is the big problem to worry about.
Thanks Karen.
But where did he reference that it was ‘the big problem to worry about’ ??
And did you just conveniently miss where he put it into perspective vs the virus?
Eithey way it’s good to know that for the rest of your entire life you will never complain about anything because people tragically suffered during a pandemic.
You are a rock.
Likes For downhillmaster: