Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What’s the story with Wabi?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 03:24 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

Anyone know what’s going on at Wabi? I really want to buy one but the customer service seems unresponsive. I know they are sold out but I’m trying to communicate with questions so I can be prepared when they are in stock but no luck. I really don’t want to buy from a company who lacks customer service, especially at their price range.
Old 06-17-20, 05:31 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
After those wieners from Oklahoma did an excellent job of running Wabi into the ground for a couple of years before conning some poor sap from Colorado to buy what was left of the company, I'll be very surprised to see it last another year.

For the record, they also asked me if I wanted to buy the company as it was circling the drain. I don't recall ever laughing so hard in my life.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 06-17-20, 07:55 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Not sure what's going, but I did buy a wheel from them two months ago. There was an issue and they were actually super responsive. Weird.
Old 06-25-20, 11:23 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Jay,

Sorry if we were slow to respond. Lots of messages lately so behind. Responded to last message.

Damon
Old 06-25-20, 11:23 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Wow. I thought your reputation was overblown. Guess not.
Old 06-25-20, 03:32 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by wabi_damon
Jay,

Sorry if we were slow to respond. Lots of messages lately so behind. Responded to last message.

Damon
No worries bro, thank you for responding.
Old 06-29-20, 02:20 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
After those wieners from Oklahoma did an excellent job of running Wabi into the ground for a couple of years before conning some poor sap from Colorado to buy what was left of the company, I'll be very surprised to see it last another year.

For the record, they also asked me if I wanted to buy the company as it was circling the drain. I don't recall ever laughing so hard in my life.
sometime when you're high wild or bored why don't you post your take on the WABI saga
Old 06-30-20, 11:23 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Speaking of Wabi, some new colors coming out.

Old 06-30-20, 01:09 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
As long as the new owners don't tweak their current formula for frame tubing, geometry, and manufacturing quality, I hope that there continues to be a market for Wabi frames. If I ever need to be a return customer I really hope they're still around, otherwise I'd probably have a framebuilder make me another frame to match the same spec.
Old 06-30-20, 06:51 PM
steve21108

Bikes: Dunelt 3 Spd (hub date 1964); 2 Raleigh (early 70s) Grand Prix converted to SA AW; 76 Raleigh Rampar converted to SA AW; Raleigh Super Course fixed; Raysport; 2003 Trek XO1; Jamis Aurora; Jamis Expat; Bianchi Posts (S3X); 1985 Ross Mt Hood; Univega;

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I do not own a Wabi, but have ridden several. Really is, for what is left of the fixed gear thing, worth the money. Hope the back story is a good one. I have a Swobo Sanchez, heavy, but is fun to ride. Wabis I have ridden correct many of the issues I have with the Swobo.
Old 07-01-20, 12:42 PM
Lazyass

New Classic color.

Old 07-01-20, 03:20 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Lazyass
New Classic color.

are those photoshop pictures?
Old 07-03-20, 04:05 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by jay4usc
are those photoshop pictures?
I don't know, all their generic pictures pretty much suck. You can't see how the paint really pops out at you. And they don't show the nice details like the fork ends that are filed and smoothed down into the fork blades. The bikes look 100x nicer in person.
Old 07-07-20, 10:22 AM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know, all their generic pictures pretty much suck. You can't see how the paint really pops out at you. And they don't show the nice details like the fork ends that are filed and smoothed down into the fork blades. The bikes look 100x nicer in person.
Seconded on this point, especially for the Special. There's a missed opportunity not detailing the lugwork, which are long point lugs filed very thinly for a production frame. That and the bottom bracket shell has a cool cut out where the downtube joins the shell--again, something you'd find on a custom frame.
Old 07-09-20, 01:13 PM
ag4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Been hunting for a 55cm special frameset - on back order until September. Bummer.
Old 07-09-20, 01:33 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

The pictures are mockups for pre-order purposes. We'll have more detailed shots when all the frames come in and we can do a photo shoot. But, agree, we could do a better job. Fortunately, it hasn't stopped anybody from buying them. :-)
Old 07-09-20, 01:34 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Yes. But they are good representation of the actual frame for pre-order purposes. We'll have more pictures in August.
Old 07-09-20, 02:00 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Originally Posted by Scottybigs
As long as the new owners don't tweak their current formula for frame tubing, geometry, and manufacturing quality, I hope that there continues to be a market for Wabi frames. If I ever need to be a return customer I really hope they're still around, otherwise I'd probably have a framebuilder make me another frame to match the same spec.
Definitely keeping the formula while looking for good opportunities for improvement. And, definitely a market for Wabi. And, Wabi will be around. "Circling the drain" is coming from someone that has no idea what is going on.
Likes For wabi_damon:
Old 07-09-20, 02:49 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Definitely keeping the formula while looking for good opportunities for improvement. And, definitely a market for Wabi. And, Wabi will be around. "Circling the drain" is coming from someone that has no idea what is going on.
I've dealt in the past with Richard Snook of the original Wabi, and he definitely had a very good idea of what is going on. I've also dealt extensively with Scrod from Retrogression, and he too knows what's going on. You, OTOH, are a complete newbie to this business, who has made some serious mistakes (e.g. the frame that left your shop w/o any water bottle mounts). So, I would advise you to adopt a bit more humble position if you wish to succeed in this very competitive business.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-09-20, 03:22 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I've dealt in the past with Richard Snook of the original Wabi, and he definitely had a very good idea of what is going on. I've also dealt extensively with Scrod from Retrogression, and he too knows what's going on. You, OTOH, are a complete newbie to this business, who has made some serious mistakes (e.g. the frame that left your shop w/o any water bottle mounts). So, I would advise you to adopt a bit more humble position if you wish to succeed in this very competitive business.
I think you misunderstood my point. I am not doubting he knows what is going in the industry. However, he doesn't know what is going on with Wabi. His interactions with the previous owners were 18+ months ago. I just take offense to bashing the previous owners (who were very nice people that just made some bad business decisions) and then assuming we are "circling the drain." We're not. We're doing just fine. It is not about bragging or humility, but just about setting the record straight. I also think it is bad form to bash other companies in the industry.

And, yes, we missed that frame issue, but we tried to rectify it as best we could (and the buyer got a pretty good deal out of it). Every company makes mistakes. Even Richard made mistakes (even big ones). I've talked to him about them and know the history of the company.
Old 07-09-20, 04:13 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
You're right, aside from one email you sent us a while back about sourcing wheelsets from us to sell on your site (which was kinda weird), I have no idea who you are. However, it was painfully obvious that Curtis and that other kook had absolutely no passion for the cycling industry and no business running a bike company like Wabi so I can "bash" them all I want. Wabi went from having a stellar reputation to that of 10 lbs. of crap in a 5 lb. bag almost overnight.

Dealing with them first hand as their "exclusive" retailer was a complete ******g nightmare. Several months after I had told Curtis that my shop no longer wanted anything to do with Wabi, we got a random phone call from him saying he was in NY living it up and asking if I wanted to buy the company. What a jackass.

Hopefully you and Zach Gallardo can turn around the crappy reputation those two yahoos left behind. Also, a lot of people really want to install Sugino 75s on Wabi Special frames. Please address that clearance issue by dimpling the chainstay if it hasn't been addressed already.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 07-09-20, 11:18 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

You're right, aside from one email you sent us a while back about sourcing wheelsets from us to sell on your site (which was kinda weird), I have no idea who you are. However, it was painfully obvious that Curtis and that other kook had absolutely no passion for the cycling industry and no business running a bike company like Wabi so I can "bash" them all I want. Wabi went from having a stellar reputation to that of 10 lbs. of crap in a 5 lb. bag almost overnight.

Dealing with them first hand as their "exclusive" retailer was a complete ******g nightmare. Several months after I had told Curtis that my shop no longer wanted anything to do with Wabi, we got a random phone call from him saying he was in NY living it up and asking if I wanted to buy the company. What a jackass.

Hopefully you and Zach Gallardo can turn around the crappy reputation those two yahoos left behind. Also, a lot of people really want to install Sugino 75s on Wabi Special frames. Please address that clearance issue by dimpling the chainstay if it hasn't been addressed already.

Well, I appreciate you acknowledging you don't know who I am or that your experience is based on things that happened 2+ years ago. I guess it is your prerogative to "bash" them, but it seems unnecessary on a message board.

As for what Curtis et al did, I can't argue that they made some mistakes (and Curtis wouldn't either). However, I don't think they ruined the reputation of the company - at least with customers. Yeah, there were missteps, but I believe the reputation was/is on solid footing (at least based on customer feedback and sales). It seems like they tried to do too much / too fast, got in over their heads and got away from what worked with the brand under Richard. Fortunately, many of the issues were fixable and the business has bounced back quickly.

Yeah, they probably didn't understand the industry and maybe they didn't have a high passion for cycling, but I don't know if that is a prerequisite for success. There are plenty of people that 'know' the industry that have had their businesses implode over the last few years or are scrambling to get out. And, there are outsiders that have been successful.

As for Zach, he is a great ambassador for Wabi and the fixed gear industry. Happy to work with him.
Old 07-10-20, 03:31 AM
Lazyass

The pictures are mockups for pre-order purposes. We'll have more detailed shots when all the frames come in and we can do a photo shoot. But, agree, we could do a better job. Fortunately, it hasn't stopped anybody from buying them. :-)
I see the silver yall posted yesterday. One of my favorite colors and I know it has to look 100x better than that pic haha

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 07-10-20, 06:28 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
There are plenty of people that 'know' the industry that have had their businesses implode over the last few years or are scrambling to get out. And, there are outsiders that have been successful.
I prefer people like Richard and Scrod who are BOTH experienced AND successful, and don’t adopt the position that “everybody makes mistakes” to excuse their missteps. You seem to be saying that retail bicycling is just another business that can be run by someone with no real knowledge or passion. While you may be successful financially, ultimately you will fail to engender true customer loyalty.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-10-20, 07:39 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Wabi's are great bikes. I bought mine from Richard, but guess what, they're still the same bikes! I recommend them and would easily buy another. I wish the present owner(s) well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.