Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help: crown race sits gappy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help: crown race sits gappy

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 03:19 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
truly C&V is the best place not only in the internet but also in this universe. all kind of support: technical info, insights, encouragement, offers and substances!!!
can't thank you folks enough.
Old 07-19-20, 08:54 PM
orangeology

updates:

1. Loctite Retaining Compound aka Green incoming, thanks to Alan unworthy1
2. fork is having a round trip to sunny Florida to get some proper knurling treatment, thanks to Kurt cudak888
3. also waiting for a lone crown race with a straight-er inner cut, just in case, to see if engages better.

funny this' happening all after i decided not to go on with bike hobby any more... it's still part of 'just one more' bike build before the let go.
Old 07-19-20, 09:09 PM
orangeology

Originally Posted by scarlson
I did it to a bearing arbor in a SAAB 900 transmission where a bearing had spun and worn down the shaft. Also used Permatex 20297 bearing mount for worn parts. Lasted 5 years until I sold the car.

ahhhh reminiscence of good ol' Saab 900 aka bunny-rouble. i had an '85 900S back in the day when a grad student. paid $3K at a crappy used car dealers in Milford CT off Route 1. transmission blew 1 wk after i bought it. pretty sure they pro'ly wedged in something to a dunzo tranny just to sell the car 'driveable'. what had i known? went to a double-honk-honk-mco in West Haven , said need to rebuilt the tranny. shop manager was nice to offer me 10 months finance outta like 2k total, an irresistible offer to a clueless international student who's paying 300 bucks rent monthly. still remember the day i went to drop it with my Bianchi in the trunk so i can ride back home. Saab 900's hatchback + foldable backset is no-match, so convenient even possible to carry a futon in side the tiny car. i miss that car. had to sell it later to make petite cash to fly to London for a summer job. good ol' times.
Old 07-19-20, 09:37 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I did it to a bearing arbor in a SAAB 900 transmission where a bearing had spun and worn down the shaft. Also used Permatex 20297 bearing mount for worn parts. Lasted 5 years until I sold the car.
Maybe this was the key to success...
Originally Posted by gugie
While you're correct, it's not a disaster if it comes loose.
Of course, no danger here.
Originally Posted by gugie
We used to do a lot of things that an LBS wouldn't touch nowadays, like straightening a steel fork, cold setting dropouts wider to accept the "next generation" of wheels. Heck, we even used to assemble bikes with quick release that didn't have lawyer lips...
I can relate...
Old 07-19-20, 10:05 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by orangeology
ahhhh reminiscence of good ol' Saab 900 aka bunny-rouble. i had an '85 900S back in the day when a grad student. paid $3K at a crappy used car dealers in Milford CT off Route 1. transmission blew 1 wk after i bought it. pretty sure they pro'ly wedged in something to a dunzo tranny just to sell the car 'driveable'. what had i known? went to a double-honk-honk-mco in West Haven , said need to rebuilt the tranny. shop manager was nice to offer me 10 months finance outta like 2k total, an irresistible offer to a clueless international student who's paying 300 bucks rent monthly. still remember the day i went to drop it with my Bianchi in the trunk so i can ride back home. Saab 900's hatchback + foldable backset is no-match, so convenient even possible to carry a futon in side the tiny car. i miss that car. had to sell it later to make petite cash to fly to London for a summer job. good ol' times.
I'm still driving one! Have been ever since I was 17 years old and I bought my first, an '86. Now I've got a five-door turbo '90, bit of a hot rod, dressed up with the old style bumpers, grill, and lights from a '79. The '85s were pieces of work. The wiring often degraded. They said the insulation was made of a soy-based product. Was your failed transmission a manual or an automatic? I have a lot of experience with both. The manual was often more reliable, but quite susceptible to abuse. Hard to make a bad manual box look good enough to sell though, the way those usually fail!

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Maybe this was the key to success...
Right, they worked as a team. The Permatex (owned by Loctite and definitely the same compound as some Loctite or other) filled the gaps. The "knurling" or stippling with the punch made sure it was centered and held while the stuff cured. I did dismantle it just before I sold it, to make sure the bearing hadn't spun, and also to get some valuable, very tall-ratio Euro-market-only "Autobahn gears" out to transfer to my next SAAB. The bearing was firmly in place. I removed it with the Autobahn gears (the Permatex actually let go pretty easily with no heat necessary) and replaced it with more of the same compound and a nice set of ordinary gears. The bearing in question was spinning at engine-speed and subjected to heavy side loads but no thrust load.
Old 07-19-20, 11:09 PM
orangeology

I'm still driving one! Have been ever since I was 17 years old and I bought my first, an '86. Now I've got a five-door turbo '90, bit of a hot rod, dressed up with the old style bumpers, grill, and lights from a '79. The '85s were pieces of work. The wiring often degraded. They said the insulation was made of a soy-based product. Was your failed transmission a manual or an automatic? I have a lot of experience with both. The manual was often more reliable, but quite susceptible to abuse. Hard to make a bad manual box look good enough to sell though, the way those usually fail!
automatic, of course. would totally have bought a manual if any had been in that price range. needed a car just cheap & dirty, and it *drove fine* for like 10 miles test drive on Rt1, lol. for short 2 years—another reason i sold it with no regret when needed a couple k's—it had all kind of other headaches, too. electronics was atrocious, breaking one after another like every month. the sealing sagged down like a wet pantyhose. engine wouldn't start when still hot after more than 50miles of driving—that no garage in the area figured why. the worst part was, tho, it was an 'imported' with always higher price tag on the labor & parts...

i always wanted to re-buy same/similar model one day. that car is something, old design has some nice sentiment. the rounded amber front windshield, tan interior. absurdly long and low profile with quirky connectors and housings. truly unique from others like american or japanese... but as a young clueless idiot, naturally moved to cheap ol' Bimmers—had had two E30s from '80s and finally a Mini Cooper. now i drive a boring, care-free small Merc. no more garage hassle.
Old 07-19-20, 11:22 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by orangeology
automatic, of course. would totally have bought a manual if any had been in that price range. needed a car just cheap & dirty, and it *drove fine* for like 10 miles test drive on Rt1, lol. for short 2 years—another reason i sold it with no regret when needed a couple k's—it had all kind of other headaches, too. electronics was atrocious, breaking one after another like every month.
I had the misfortune of owning an automatic 900 for a little while. Wanted to do a sex-change operation on it, but threw a bottle of Lucas in it and cleaned the governor and sold it. The new owner ran it out of fluid going uphill in the heat, but he said he just filled it up and kept driving. I never heard from him again after that though.
'85 electronics are, like I said, incurable. The wiring harnesses just disintegrate.

the sealing sagged down like a wet pantyhose.
Easy fix, just drop the headliner and reline it with foam-backed cloth from Joann Fabrics and 3M spray adhesive from Home Depot. Done in an afternoon for $100.

engine wouldn't start when still hot after more than 50miles of driving—that no garage in the area figured why. the worst part was, tho, it was an 'imported' with always higher price tag on the labor & parts...
Hall effect sensor, which resides in the distributor and does spark timing. I'm like 90% sure.

i always wanted to re-buy same/similar model one day. that car is something, old design has some nice sentiment. the rounded amber front windshield, tan interior. absurdly long and low profile with quirky connectors and housings. truly unique from others like american or japanese...
Yeah there's nothing quite like a SAAB.. I can't seem to resist 'em! Best thing about a SAAB though? You can fix a SAAB, you can fix anything.

but as a young clueless idiot, naturally moved to cheap ol' Bimmers—had had two E30s from '80s and finally a Mini Cooper. now i drive a boring, care-free small Merc. no more garage hassle.
Oh god, I HATE working on Minis. I once changed an engine on one. Every step was a nightmare! Stuff shoehorned in where it ought not to be. Mercedes though, those are quite a bit easier. Once worked on one for an assistant beekeeper, who paid me in local honey. I had buckets of the stuff by the end. His girlfriend's kids kept wrecking the car. I think he might have been literally skimming off the top of the apiary's stock, but I looked the other way - it was *ahem* a sweet deal for me.
Old 07-23-20, 05:30 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Before:

After:

I also shaved the crown race seat just a bit, so you've gained about 0.75mm for stack height. I didn't do any further, as that would cause the crown to interfere with a full-size brake bolt washer (note the witness mark of the washer on the chrome in the last piccture vs. where I stopped with the cutter).

You might also want to consider something other than the Tange Passage headset. I Googled it and realized that's the same crown race that's in my three Velo-Yellows. All of them had cracked from bad crown race prep - while that's more a condemnation of the prep of the fork, it doesn't speak well for the strength of a steel crown race. I believe this is the same crown race used on Wal-Mart-level Roadmasters and Huffy BSO's. Bottom of the bottom end; I don't care if it says Tange on it.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-23-20 at 05:34 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-23-20, 05:41 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
that suckah is KNURLED. and I had no trouble at all with a recent Passage I bought from a seller in Taiwan, very ordinarily crown race with no extra inner radius. Of course this is going on a flipper, so....
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 07-23-20, 06:59 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
that suckah is KNURLED. and I had no trouble at all with a recent Passage I bought from a seller in Taiwan, very ordinarily crown race with no extra inner radius. Of course this is going on a flipper, so....
I'll try and grab a photo of one of the cracked Velo Yellow raceways over the weekend - if I can find one. Those have the same inner taper that orangeology speaks of.

-Kurt

Old 07-23-20, 07:43 PM
orangeology

Originally Posted by cudak888
I also shaved the crown race seat just a bit, so you've gained about 0.75mm for stack height. I didn't do any further, as that would cause the crown to interfere with a full-size brake bolt washer (note the witness mark of the washer on the chrome in the last piccture vs. where I stopped with the cutter).

You might also want to consider something other than the Tange Passage headset. I Googled it and realized that's the same crown race that's in my three Velo-Yellows. All of them had cracked from bad crown race prep - while that's more a condemnation of the prep of the fork, it doesn't speak well for the strength of a steel crown race. I believe this is the same crown race used on Wal-Mart-level Roadmasters and Huffy BSO's. Bottom of the bottom end; I don't care if it says Tange on it.

-Kurt
👍👍👍
!!!
thank you Kurt! it just looks fantastic. can't wait to 'touch' the knurled part myself.

as for the crown race: i'm planning to swap it with the one from Cane Creek (incoming). have had a successful experience of mix-match, hopefully it works. well, or not. yes, i realized that overall quality of Passage is sub-par if not medium just guessing from it's finish & materials etc. wasn't going to get surprised if there's a horror story—i know there also seem to be stories from the other end. with another .75mm allowance, will measure again and see what i can do. what i really would like to go with is DA 7600—listed as 30.3mm stack height also with a couple mm's washer—but it's literally unobtanium so is earlier version 600 Ultegra.

Last edited by orangeology; 07-23-20 at 09:40 PM.
Likes For orangeology: