Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

First Race advice and cornering/crash concerns.

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

First Race advice and cornering/crash concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 07:56 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin****t
Crashed. Everything was going fine. I was sitting in the main group the whole time. Was under/FTP the whole time so I never truly burned a match. Last lap second to last turn I was trying to pass someone did not realize how close I was to the curve and down I went. It was not a confidence issue on my bike it was a lack of focus on the corner. Lessoned learned. I was in a good spot too I was in the top 5 in the last two corners and charging my legs for a sprint (that I knew I was not going to win) but able to keep in the top 5 or 10 at worst (Out of 40 riders).
Sounds like your fitness is good! Sorry to hear about the crash. It's an unfortunate part of the learning curve, sometimes.

We used to have a big regional omnium with a crit. First year I did it, I was in 2nd position coming into the final curve and slid out. Second year I did it, I slid out in the first curve of the first lap. I was on the ground a lot those first few years. Fortunately that doesn't happen so much nowadays.
Old 08-03-20, 08:12 PM
kevinabbot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Sounds like your fitness is good! Sorry to hear about the crash. It's an unfortunate part of the learning curve, sometimes.

We used to have a big regional omnium with a crit. First year I did it, I was in 2nd position coming into the final curve and slid out. Second year I did it, I slid out in the first curve of the first lap. I was on the ground a lot those first few years. Fortunately that doesn't happen so much nowadays.
Yeah and I know I did a lot of unnecessary efforts especially when I was in the downhill corner where no matter what line I took I always ended up having to do a little effort to get back to the wheel I was behind. I want to say they carried more momentum because of their weight but I don't know for sure. I am exited to race again and I am not super nervous. I never really saw myself as a crit racer. The race I am targeting is the Maryland Grand fondo which is a lot of climbing and more of a rr then a circuit.
Old 08-03-20, 08:16 PM
kevinabbot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
How's the bike?
It's ok. Di2/frame is fine. Need new jersey, glasses, and front tire. May need a new wheel, but hopefully its covered through bontragners carbon care program.
Likes For kevinabbot:
Old 08-03-20, 10:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Glad you and the bike are okay. Good work but for the crash.
Likes For Hermes: