Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: Part. Campy GS Headset Upper Race (Top Adjustable Cup) English in OK Condition

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

FS: Part. Campy GS Headset Upper Race (Top Adjustable Cup) English in OK Condition

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 10:56 AM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts

GONE and POST CLOSED

(i know i was looking for this a couple wks ago, now i don't need it lol. an attempt mis-matching deemed with no success, up for your grab)

posted here is a Upper Race (some says Top Adjustable Cup or/and other names too) of '70s Campy Gran Sport Headset in BSC threads (1x24tpi).

no inscription on the side, unlike the Record models, only marking is on the top side—will be hidden once joined with the top nut & spacer(s). nice thing about this one is it's interchange-able with infamous Campy Pista headset. almost no difference than the nut shape on the top also with same bearing size 5/32" loose balls. hence it could also work with older headsets w same bearing size*. rumor says it work with some Tange (as Tange molded after old Campies) but i can't guarantee.
*not with, of course, older DA headsets. although they are using same bearings, the inner diameter of the skirt was too tight to the cup i couldn't work it out. and it would NOT work with any Record models due to bearing size discrepancy (however some on the wacky internet says they would).

condition is: overal good. previous owner heavily filed down the rusted part on the top leaving some rough traces. i tried to cover a bit with polishing compound. but it's again gonna be the hidden part once assembled. inside is CLEAN & NO PITS. not sure if it meets a demand, but of course there's an absurd price on the 'bay.

$12 SHIPPED to your door. paid more. hope someone needs it or re-sell it on the bay for profit.

Last edited by orangeology; 10-06-20 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 09:35 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i have late 70's campy headset and the threads are munged on the upper race. i believe this would replace it, but i need to make sure of compatibility. it came on a 79 bottechia, but i've used it on a univega (when the threads were intact) and currently on a miyata. the top lock nut threads are fine and work as they should, but since the threads on the race are gone the headset comes loose under use. anyhow, how can i verify if your race is compatible? i'd really like to have it if it'd work. thanks!
Old 10-03-20, 10:02 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
I’d like to get next in line. Need to check if it’ll work on my ‘75 Raleigh international, which is missing its top stack (top race, washer and nut).
Thanks!
Old 10-03-20, 07:35 PM
orangeology

Originally Posted by thook
i have late 70's campy headset and the threads are munged on the upper race. i believe this would replace it, but i need to make sure of compatibility. it came on a 79 bottechia, but i've used it on a univega (when the threads were intact) and currently on a miyata. the top lock nut threads are fine and work as they should, but since the threads on the race are gone the headset comes loose under use. anyhow, how can i verify if your race is compatible? i'd really like to have it if it'd work. thanks!
guess the only way is checking the bearing size. 5/32 either 24 loose balls or 20 in a retainer. unless you want to 'try' first. what does your original headset look like? do you have a pic?
Old 10-03-20, 07:36 PM
orangeology

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
I’d like to get next in line. Need to check if it’ll work on my ‘75 Raleigh international, which is missing its top stack (top race, washer and nut).
Thanks!
bearing size?
Old 10-03-20, 09:26 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Originally Posted by orangeology
bearing size?
Bought a grungy ‘75 Raleigh international f/f from a local fellow earlier this year. It came with only lower race still on fork, lower cup and upper cone still pressed into head tube, complete with very dried grease. Nothing else. Parts look original (campy) and salvageable.

So, can’t answer about bearing size until I’ve researched / enquired about it. The project is a bit further down my current list, but I figured it would not hurt to source missing parts as they become available.

Is there a way to directly determine bearing size from the lower complete cup/cone? (trial and error is an option I suppose, but seems... flawed somehow)
Old 10-03-20, 09:37 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Re-reading your description leads me to believe this won’t work, if mine is indeed the original NR headset (folks on the internet making it work, notwithstanding). Perhaps I should post some photos.
Old 10-03-20, 10:20 PM
orangeology

checking out whether this part work with your parts looks like a bit beyond my knowledge. a couple links that has pics of the headsets 'obviously' work with it, i'm posting here. hope it helps.

VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo 1040/A, Gran Sport
VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo 4141, Super Record Pista
Old 10-03-20, 10:32 PM
orangeology

btw i also have a NOS Campy Victory Upper Race that is totally interchangeable with NR/SR headsets. inscription is on the side like NR headset, the top has 2 flat sides for wrenching, vs. octagonal as in NR. was going to return it, as it didn't work with my project. either of you guys panzerwagen thook gonna try it, i can let go at the price i paid for which is
$18 + shipping. this takes 20-3/16 bearings in the retainer just like NR.

Last edited by orangeology; 10-04-20 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-04-20, 01:56 PM
orangeology

anyone wants both, trying to find the exact match—as one of them most likely WILL work with an old Campy headset—$30 shipped via First Class. it's quite a good price comparing to those weird pricing on the 'bay, i believe.
Old 10-04-20, 09:00 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
guess the only way is checking the bearing size. 5/32 either 24 loose balls or 20 in a retainer. unless you want to 'try' first. what does your original headset look like? do you have a pic?
no, i don't have a pic. but, i decided to pass on this opportunity. allow someone else to have at it! thank you for taking time to reply
Likes For thook:
Old 10-04-20, 10:52 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

btw i also have a NOS Campy Victory Upper Race that is totally interchangeable with NR/SR headsets. inscription is on the side like NR headset, the top has 2 flat sides for wrenching, vs. octagonal as in NR. was going to return it, as it didn't work with my project. either of you guys panzerwagen thook gonna try it, i can let go at the price i paid for which is
$18 + shipping. this takes 20-3/16 bearings in the retainer just like NR.

Thanks for the kind offer. On further reflection, I think I’m going to wait until I have the project underway and headset apart before deciding how to proceed. Appreciate the help and GLWS.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 10-06-20, 03:02 PM
orangeology

both cups are gone, closing the post. thanks!