Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Question about actual mileage

Old 10-04-20, 11:22 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Question about actual mileage

For those of you who do long distance cycling. What % of the miles logged are actually while pedaling. I know there are a lot of variables that can occur such as going down hill or having an all uphill climb. I just was wondering because on my spin bike I am always pedaling while on my bicycle I coast etc...
Old 10-04-20, 04:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
For those of you who do long distance cycling. What % of the miles logged are actually while pedaling. I know there are a lot of variables that can occur such as going down hill or having an all uphill climb. I just was wondering because on my spin bike I am always pedaling while on my bicycle I coast etc...
I would guess for me that maybe 5-10% of the time is coasting, but that's going to vary depending on the riders, the route, the wind, the riding companions, etc.
There are people riding fixed-gear bikes who automatically have zero percent coasting, although they will have periods of zero-effort pedaling.
The "better" riders I know seem to avoid coasting, and will pedal on a downhill (small hills in this area, it's not the Rocky Mountains) and try to keep their cadence up. But some of us like to mash and pedal hard on the uphills and coast on the downhills, too.
On flattish land with a headwind, you can have miles and miles of practically no coasting.
Get into some long climbs and long downhills, you can have miles and miles of mostly coasting.
If someone is drafting you, you need to be pedaling the whole while, pretty much, so your speed isn't yoyoing up and down.
Riding a tandem, you can coast, but it's a bit more awkward transitioning, so desirable to keep a more constant pedaling pattern.
I know one rider who has a regular pedal-pedal-pedal-coast- routine, even on uphills, so to each his own.
Old 10-04-20, 07:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think randonneurs tend to coast more than most recreational riders. There is barely any point to pedaling down many hills. One time on an Eastern PA 1200k, some volunteers were greeting riders on a route with a lot of local recreational riders. They could tell if a rando was approaching because the locals would pedal down a hill, but the randonneurs would coast.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-04-20, 09:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have a lot more miles touring than brevets, thus my answer is oriented towards touring.

I am not pedaling when approaching a stop sign or stop light. I am not pedaling when going fast enough down a hill that I run out of gearing. Otherwise I am pedaling. And shallow downhills, I pedal down those to if it means that I can carry some of that speed up the other side of a valley.

Based on that, in areas where there are lot of intersections, like communities, maybe 5 to 10 percent of distance is coasting as I approach stop lights or signs. In hilly terrain, maybe 20 percent of distance is coasting down hills. Where it is flat (think Southern Florida), maybe 1 percent is coasting.

In hilly terrain, even if 50 percent of the distance was coasting, that might represent less than 15 percent of the time on the bike, downhills are quicker than steep uphills.

There is no single number.

The graphic is the elevation profile from the day I rode from East to West on Going to the Sun Road, data from my GPS. Maybe 40 percent of the distance was coasting, but the steep uphill took a lot more time than the downhill. The coasting did not take much time at all.

Old 10-05-20, 09:41 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I use the elevate plugin for strava (only works on chrome afaik) and it'll figure out the % of time pedalling on a ride. I did a flat 200k yesterday and pedalled 87% of the riding time. On a hillier 400 that I recorded ~3800m on I pedalled 81% of the time. I like to coast when I can, I definitely tuck and coast down any hills that will let me do that.
Likes For clasher:
Old 10-06-20, 05:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I use the elevate plugin for strava (only works on chrome afaik) and it'll figure out the % of time pedalling on a ride.
That sounds cool! I looked and couldn't find anything similar for Firefox.
Old 10-06-20, 07:26 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That sounds cool! I looked and couldn't find anything similar for Firefox.
Yeah it's a bummer, there is a beta version apparently but the developer said he's working on a stand-alone app so that might happen sometime. Elevate is the only thing I use chrome for.
Old 10-08-20, 08:01 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
It depends

I use Golden Cheetah which keeps track of everything and went back an looked at the % of time spent coasting on all of my brevets this season. It ranges from 0% on the 200k season opener to 31% on the third day of the Iron Porcupine.