Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tunnel vision

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tunnel vision

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 01:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm glad you know what works for you, but don't confuse your personal impressions with evidence.
That's why I said to research glycogen stores *and* reference your burn rate via power meter and feel it out for yourself. The likelihood that the average weekend warrior is putting down enough wattz to outstrip a full gas tank at these durations is pretty low, though. What kind of kj/hour are you seeing on your 2-3 hour rides?

Here is an article from the Cleveland Clinic which references the American College of Sports Medicine. The takeaway line is "Cyclists riding for longer than 60 minutes need to start to fuel after one hour."
...or what?

Here is a peer-reviewed journal article on the subject, which includes the observation that "In practical terms, 2 hours or more of even moderate physical activity (eg, 65% VO2max) is sufficient to markedly lower muscle glycogen stores."
Of course it is, the question is to what kind of impact, if any. This study is chiefly concerned with pre- and post-exercise intake and to ensure adequate stores.

Here is an article by Selene Yeager which seems well-researched. Again, the recommendation is to start eating carbs even on moderate-length rides.
That's an article about someone that ate too much on the bike and how they saw improvements by drastically cutting back - kind of approaching from the opposite end of what you're arguing, no?

If you were looking to waste my time by having me read through irrelevant links - well played, but I won't be fooled again.
Old 10-19-20, 01:30 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Pretty normal if exertion is very high.

In my late 20's I would get tunnel vision when my HRM would bang 240+ on climbs (normal "max" was around 210). Sometimes just a hint of shaded areas, but occasionally full blown.

If you really push it, sooner or later it will manifest itself with varying degrees.
Old 10-19-20, 02:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's why I said to research glycogen stores *and* reference your burn rate via power meter and feel it out for yourself. The likelihood that the average weekend warrior is putting down enough wattz to outstrip a full gas tank at these durations is pretty low, though. What kind of kj/hour are you seeing on your 2-3 hour rides?

...or what?

Of course it is, the question is to what kind of impact, if any. This study is chiefly concerned with pre- and post-exercise intake and to ensure adequate stores.

That's an article about someone that ate too much on the bike and how they saw improvements by drastically cutting back - kind of approaching from the opposite end of what you're arguing, no?

If you were looking to waste my time by having me read through irrelevant links - well played, but I won't be fooled again.
You seem to conflate your own experience with evidence. I just wouldn't want the OP, nor anyone else, to confuse an anecdote with actual science.
Old 10-19-20, 03:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Do you know what your HR was at the time you were having this? I would talk to a medical professional about it. If it's more than a one time thing I'd go right now. Drops in HR while doing a fair amount of exertion can be several signs of cardiac issues and along with Hypoglycemia, Hypotension then there are plenty of possible things you ought to make certain about.
Old 10-19-20, 04:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
You seem to conflate your own experience with evidence. I just wouldn't want the OP, nor anyone else, to confuse an anecdote with actual science.
As we say, "The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-19-20, 05:32 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
There are several causes of transient visual disturbances. Low blood sugar, optical migraine, brain injury or swelling,.. and probably a whole lot more.

You need someone with a team capable of determining which one of the list is the actual cause.

In the past I was a Firefighter / Medic, with a whole pile of certifications that said I knew that air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, and oxygen is good. I had a sarcastic speech prepared for people who asked me is this X; "I don't have x-ray or an MRI or a lab in my fingers, so the best I can do is take you to a place where they have all that stuff..."
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-19-20, 05:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
As we say, "The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'."
I would've written that, but we don't even have multiple anecdotes in this case.
Old 10-19-20, 09:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
i wasn't going to comment except to say see a doctor, but that's been done plenty. I could add that I have been in severe stress situations on the bike: riding another 40 miles of hills after a complete bonk, hard 400k rides in the mountains, serious dehydration with HR 40 beats above normal, going cross-eyed from the exhaustion of the eye control muscles, going so hard the whole world went black and as they say, I saw Moses. Never tunnel vision. Never heard of that happening, either. Not good. See a doctor.

Except for no migraine, this is one of the usual symptoms of one coming on, though hallucinatory patterns are more common.
Old 10-20-20, 08:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
I never had tunnel vision, per se, but if I spend a long time in the drops while pushing hard my vision gets a little wonky. If I sit up it clears. I've heard other cyclists mention this.
I'm 66 and I can do 3000 feet of climbing in 30 miles without needing any snacks but it's nice to have something anyway. 50-60 hilly miles and I want to eat along the way. I always have breakfast.