Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Uh oh, I can't think of any cycling doodads to buy over the winter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 04:42 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts

For the past 7 or 8 years, I've been able to think of a cycling "toy" I wanted to buy over the winter to play with or upgrade the bike(s) with - Kickr trainer, Wahoo Roam, Zwift, upgrade bags or seat or shoes, switch to SPD-SL cleats, move to GP-5000 tires, and last year the Varia radar/taillight.

This year the only thing i can think of is maybe some cushier bar tape on my road bike. My credit card company will issue a fraud alert for lack of use over the winter...
Old 11-03-20, 05:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Power meter
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-03-20, 05:13 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
N+1
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 11-03-20, 05:48 AM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Wheels?

Originally Posted by jpescatore
My credit card company will issue a fraud alert for lack of use over the winter...
I don’t know if wheels qualify as doodad-esque upgrades but with so many options, researching them will give you many hours of entertainment, and buying them will give your credit card company a boost during these difficult times.
Likes For Jno:
Old 11-03-20, 07:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Now see, that's what happens when you do too much shopping on line. They only show you the stuff that you already know about and are actively looking for.

You need those retro paper catalogues with pictures of all the neat and necessary stuff that you didn't know existed.
Old 11-03-20, 07:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
You are hereby banned from BF.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 11-03-20, 07:16 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
For the man who has everything, I would suggest a Cycliq Fly 12 CE, for recording your near-misses and close passes. I ended up buying two, and won't ride these days without one.

They record at an incredible 60 frames per second at 1080p, so you can always pull good clear still shots from the video.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-03-20, 07:19 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
The last 2 winters I had bike projects to work on. I keep looking at bikes/frames but I already have a couple of bikes that I can work on, if I choose to. Also,I have too many bikes already and want to subtract, not add. The only thing I really need is a new headset for my Lemond Poprad. Instead of impulsively buying bike things, I am putting stuff on hold for overnight, at least, and that helps me to realize the item might be something I want in the moment, but do not need, and maybe no longer want the next day. Buyers remorse is not a good feeling.
Old 11-03-20, 07:31 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
How about a dually diesel truck with an eight foot bed, with trailer hitch and mount in the bed for the bike, for times when you can't ride the bike to your starting point? Could also serve to haul mulch, dirt, etc. Should only set ya back about what a house used to cost.
Old 11-03-20, 07:41 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Everyone should have full cold weather cycling clothes and a fendered winter training fixed gear road bike.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 11-03-20, 07:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
One day, I hope to not have the itch to buy stuff thru the winter. Unfortunately I enjoy building up frames, so I think a winter when I dont buy stuff is a long way off.
Old 11-03-20, 07:43 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Time for a new hobby.
Tim
Old 11-03-20, 07:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
For the man who has everything, I would suggest a Cycliq Fly 12 CE, for recording your near-misses and close passes. I ended up buying two, and won't ride these days without one.

They record at an incredible 60 frames per second at 1080p, so you can always pull good clear still shots from the video.
It sucks that you have so many close passes you feel compelled to document them. That doesnt seem like fun riding.
What do you do with these clear shots though of vehicles passing closer than what makes you comfortable? Whats the end game?
Old 11-03-20, 07:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
In addition to the previously mentioned power meter and Cycliq, if I were riding a Trek, I'd be tempted by the new Bontrager carbon wheels that were released this year.

Also, one thing that I've added this winter is studded tires for the gravel bike - I get stir-crazy and being able to get out of the house is nice. Bustin' my ass on the ice the last couple years? Not so nice. I'm actually looking forward to rumblin' down the road when the ice comes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-03-20, 07:50 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It sucks that you have so many close passes you feel compelled to document them. That doesnt seem like fun riding.
What do you do with these clear shots though of vehicles passing closer than what makes you comfortable? Whats the end game?
LOL.

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-03-20, 07:59 AM
WhyFi

If a pass is egregious (or, heaven forbid, there's a collision), having the footage for the authorities is obviously beneficial. There's still a lot of shoulder-shrugging among law enforcement, but that's slowly changing with more and more evidence. Making cycling cameras ubiquitous would also go a long way in preventing vehicular asshattery - if I driver knows that there's a good chance that they're being filmed, it'll put a big ***** in the their armor of behind-the-wheel invincibility.

Along those lines, Cycliq has a sister site, UpRide.cc, where you can document and log dangerous/aggressive behavior. While it may not help in cases where no charges are pressed, it can help to establish a pattern of a driver's aggression if they should ever hit someone. "I didn't see them," is a lot easer to dismiss if a database can be queried and it shows several close passes.
Old 11-03-20, 08:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If a pass is egregious (or, heaven forbid, there's a collision), having the footage for the authorities is obviously beneficial. There's still a lot of shoulder-shrugging among law enforcement, but that's slowly changing with more and more evidence. Making cycling cameras ubiquitous would also go a long way in preventing vehicular asshattery - if I driver knows that there's a good chance that they're being filmed, it'll put a big ***** in the their armor of behind-the-wheel invincibility.

Along those lines, Cycliq has a sister site, UpRide.cc, where you can document and log dangerous/aggressive behavior. While it may not help in cases where no charges are pressed, it can help to establish a pattern of a driver's aggression if they should ever hit someone. "I didn't see them," is a lot easer to dismiss if a database can be queried and it shows several close passes.
Maybe it makes even more sense to have cameras in all motor vehicles, since they are involved in 100% of MV accidents.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-20, 08:14 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
Maybe it makes even more sense to have cameras in all motor vehicles, since they are involved in 100% of MV accidents.
This is true, but then there would be cries of "nanny state," "big brother," etc. Voluntary adoption would be much easier in the short-term. Plus, cameras are fun for documenting cool rides, whether it's great scenery or crushing your friends at the town sign sprint. I really got my camera for the fun of it, but I justified it with the spouse with the more serious aspect.
Old 11-03-20, 08:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
This is true, but then there would be cries of "nanny state," "big brother," etc. Voluntary adoption would be much easier in the short-term. Plus, cameras are fun for documenting cool rides, whether it's great scenery or crushing your friends at the town sign sprint. I really got my camera for the fun of it, but I justified it with the spouse with the more serious aspect.
Yep, agreed on all counts. But since my only near-death experience was being rear-ended while in my car, I can see the value of having cameras on all MVs. Just like police officers wear body cameras.

The technology really shouldn't be all that expensive, since even many mid-priced new cars have some of the tech already built-in -- in the form of those accident-avoidance systems.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-20, 08:27 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yep, agreed on all counts. But since my only near-death experience was being rear-ended while in my car, I can see the value of having cameras on all MVs. Just like police officers wear body cameras.

The technology really shouldn't be all that expensive, since even many mid-priced new cars have some of the tech already built-in -- in the form of those accident-avoidance systems.
It would be wonderful, but at the same time, I think that there's the significant hurdle of sifting through millions of hours of footage for aggressive behavior/close calls that don't result in damage/harm. Drivers aren't going to volunteer a timestamp so it would be up to the aggrieved to identify them; making a mental note of plate numbers is almost always impossible, so without a camera, we're back at square one.
Old 11-03-20, 09:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I'm familiar with the skit.
I really am not sure what I would do with footage of a vehicle passing closer than I like. You suggested buying the camera so I figured I would see what you do with the footage.
Do you email it to police??
Do you post it on YouTube as a compilation?
Do you try to dox the drivers on forums?

Based on the MP vid, it appears you do nothing with it.
Old 11-03-20, 09:14 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Forget the doo dads, get a thingamabob.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-03-20, 09:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Fully agree a camera could help in a collision. The other poster mentioned documenting close passes which is why I asked whats done with those.

As for an online database of selective video to show a pattern of behavior in court, I dont know about that.
I would think there are some significant issues that would need to be worked out for such a process to work.

A camera to document fun rides is great! I find myself watching multiple documented ride segments on readit each week. Anything from a 4yo riding their first clamshell to someone tearing down a run at breakneck speed and hitting all their jump perrectly- its neat to see ride videos.
Old 11-03-20, 09:24 AM
WhyFi

As for an online database of selective video to show a pattern of behavior in court, I dont know about that.
I would think there are some significant issues that would need to be worked out for such a process to work.
What significant issues? You upload the video. You enter the license plates. Authorities can then search the database for the license plates and have video evidence. If someone has an established pattern of trying to brush cyclists with their mirror, it's hard to argue that there's not intent.
Old 11-03-20, 09:26 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I'm familiar with the skit.
I really am not sure what I would do with footage of a vehicle passing closer than I like. You suggested buying the camera so I figured I would see what you do with the footage.
Do you email it to police??
Do you post it on YouTube as a compilation?
Do you try to dox the drivers on forums?

Based on the MP vid, it appears you do nothing with it.
OK, I'll bite. I'm an aspie AV geek type. I love electronic stuff i can tinker with, and I also like playing around in Photoshop, FWIW. Bikes and computers are my two main hobbies, and the Cycliq satisfies both quite well.

Also, I like to go back and review footage, to see if the person passed as close as it felt at the time. Usually the evnets i found terrifying at the time turn out to be pretty benign (like the truck crossing the center line above) so I feel safer after seeing I probably overreacted. I don't give videos to police, since they generally need to witness the incident personally before they will do anything (unless death or serious injury result). Close passes in my state are a $30 fine, not worth their time.

If I go on a particularly scenic ride, I will save the videos, they're fun to watch later on a big screen TV. Very relaxing. No commercials (other than the embedded logo).

And if I'm killed some day on the road, or seriously injured God forbid, there will be a record of what happened. And there will be a good chance of the driver being caught, regardless of whether I survive. That's not a big selling point for me, but probably worth mentioning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.