Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc Brake Pads: the new toilet paper?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Disc Brake Pads: the new toilet paper?

Old 11-26-20, 04:52 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Pulse braking is absolutely the way to go, even if it's high frequency pulses. You want to get the disc surface temperature up quickly, without heating the core of the disc or the pads too much. The idea is to maximise the temperature difference between the disc surface and the air to maximise heat transfer.away from the disc. But you need to fully release the brake between pulses so the pad also gets some air over it's surface.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 11-26-20, 10:07 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Pulse braking is absolutely the way to go, even if it's high frequency pulses. You want to get the disc surface temperature up quickly, without heating the core of the disc or the pads too much. The idea is to maximise the temperature difference between the disc surface and the air to maximise heat transfer.away from the disc. But you need to fully release the brake between pulses so the pad also gets some air over it's surface.
I do pulse/feather the brakes (albeit probably not enough). But I am aware that I ride the brakes more than many people (like the ones who go flying by me on downhills).
Old 11-26-20, 11:00 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 643 Posts
while "pulse braking" whatever that is may be the way to reduce pad wear, it increases the possibility of a skid which if it happens on the front wheel can take you down.

it's kind of like people who on older cars would downshift thru every gear to "save the brakes" while transferring the wear to clutch and transmission synchronizers.

Pads are cheap and pretty easy to change, buy several pairs and swap them in before they scar up those brake rotors. and do your braking before you roll into the turn.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 11-26-20, 11:11 AM
banana jam 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
2nd on Discobrake products.
Old 11-26-20, 12:03 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by mpetry912
while "pulse braking" whatever that is may be the way to reduce pad wear, it increases the possibility of a skid which if it happens on the front wheel can take you down.
You don't have disc brakes, do you?

it's kind of like people who on older cars would downshift thru every gear to "save the brakes" while transferring the wear to clutch and transmission synchronizers.
Yup. Those kinds of people.

Pads are cheap
$25 a pair x 30 pairs = $750

and pretty easy to change,
There is that.

buy several pairs and swap them in before they scar up those brake rotors. and do your braking before you roll into the turn.
oh
Old 11-26-20, 02:14 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Maybe you could get away with less expensive pads without the fins. Or aftermarket pads?
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 11-26-20, 02:17 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I'm going to give the discobrakes a shot. Maybe try it on the rear first.
Old 11-26-20, 03:58 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I'm going to give the discobrakes a shot. Maybe try it on the rear first.
I don't understand why you're so afraid of trying non finned pads. I'm sure it'll make zero difference, except on your wallet.
Old 11-26-20, 04:58 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
A bit on context:

Someone using disc brakes on their road cycle-touring machine in flat country might only touch the brakes a few times a day for traffic lights, or to pull into a cafe. very light brake use every few hundred KM and might easily do 6000+ km per set of pads. I know here in Australia, I've done long 300km+ day rides on my roadie but because there's so much open country, I might only touch my brakes a handful of times. I've done 150km bike rides that had 3 turns! The rest is open road, no lights, no hard curves, just gentle and meandering hills.

Vice versa, back home in Vancouver (BC) when I was mounting, I was climbing and descending 500-600m of vertical every lap which was only a few kilometers ... and using the brakes HARD for technical black/ double black mountain jank and chunder.

When someone spits out a number like "Same pads since 2015" just be mindful of context.

If you're a 95kg rider who is cautious on descents, that sounds about right. Why not try metallic pads and save yourself a bit of coin over the longterm?
Old 11-26-20, 05:33 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 643 Posts
thanks for all this. the metallic pads are much harder on the rotors, expecially if you're not doing hard braking that gets the pads up to temperature.

I'm running Swiss Stop pads on the ebike (and Hawk "street" pads on the Porsche) but I think I'll give the discotech pads a try at the next pit stop haha.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 11-26-20, 06:20 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Amt0571
I don't understand why you're so afraid of trying non finned pads. I'm sure it'll make zero difference, except on your wallet.
Brake fade.

On another bike, I have TRP hylex, which have fin-less pads, and I had such poor luck with them I put Shimano calipers on. (I only just did this so I don't have any real evidence that this is an improvement).
Old 11-26-20, 07:38 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
if you wear out the clutch from downshifting a car or a motorcycle, then you have crappy downshifting techniques and can't blip properly.

dragging your brakes all the way down the hill because you are afraid of losing your brakes and dying, unfortunately actually means that by dragging your brakes all the way down, you are really improving your chances of losing your brakes and dying.
But you know that, and I know that its something that some people can't ever get their head around and change. Also, hammering your front brake hard much harder than the rear dumps a lot of speed much faster than the rear, but again, its a technique thing that needs to be learned, and done over and over so that it becomes an instinct.

I'm another person that can get 10,000 kms out of a set of brake pads, fronts. Or more out of rears.
Likes For djb:
Old 11-26-20, 11:33 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
A bit on context:

Someone using disc brakes on their road cycle-touring machine in flat country might only touch the brakes a few times a day for traffic lights, or to pull into a cafe. very light brake use every few hundred KM and might easily do 6000+ km per set of pads. I know here in Australia, I've done long 300km+ day rides on my roadie but because there's so much open country, I might only touch my brakes a handful of times. I've done 150km bike rides that had 3 turns! The rest is open road, no lights, no hard curves, just gentle and meandering hills.

Vice versa, back home in Vancouver (BC) when I was mounting, I was climbing and descending 500-600m of vertical every lap which was only a few kilometers ... and using the brakes HARD for technical black/ double black mountain jank and chunder.

When someone spits out a number like "Same pads since 2015" just be mindful of context.

If you're a 95kg rider who is cautious on descents, that sounds about right. Why not try metallic pads and save yourself a bit of coin over the longterm?
As the person who “spit out [that] number”, I am mindful of the context. I even stated what my context was. I live in mountains and ride in mountains and understand how to use my brakes to the best effect without over taxing them. I was merely pointing out that dragging brakes on downhills is going to wear out pads very quickly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-26-20, 11:39 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
As the person who “spit out [that] number”, I am mindful of the context. I even stated what my context was. I live in mountains and ride in mountains and understand how to use my brakes to the best effect without over taxing them. I was merely pointing out that dragging brakes on downhills is going to wear out pads very quickly.
It wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular! Just reassuring the OP that maybe their circumstances are more intense than others' ... that's all.

But yeah learning to be comfortable with speed and using brakes also plays a massive role!
Old 11-26-20, 11:54 PM
cutdbeard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At first, I was also changing quite often but after a year I was able to practice feathering so when braking I try to go smoothly as possible.
Likes For cutdbeard:
Old 11-27-20, 08:01 AM
djb

I'm the other person getting great pad life out of my BB7 pads on a heavily loaded touring bike riding in often mountainous areas, but I'm not a brake dragger and am comfortable at speed and judging when to control speed.

my actual proof--photos of my front pads after about 6000km of nearly all touring kilometers, so 4000 miles for you Imperialists.
and the link to the thread I put up to give some reference to folks wondering about pad life, but emphasizing my riding style and the importance of how one uses ones brakes that makes ALL the difference.
Quite literally, your mileage will vary.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ld-vs-new.html
Likes For djb:
Old 11-27-20, 08:07 AM
djb

Originally Posted by cutdbeard
At first, I was also changing quite often but after a year I was able to practice feathering so when braking I try to go smoothly as possible.
in my experience, feathering has nothing to do with it, but simply how much time the pads are spent rubbng against the rotors. If descending a hill you keep the brakes on moderately , dragging for lets say 20 secs, VS one hard application of 1 second to bring speed down, then let bike run, than another 1 second--its simple math--less pad to rotor contact of time, and less buildup of heat.

Hard braking, using stronger front brake application , for a short time, will greatly slow down bike, but when you let off, the heat will dissipate quickly, so next time you hammer it, there isnt much heat buildup because the air moving over the surfaces takes some of the heat away.

all braking systems follow this rule, doesnt matter rim or disc, or bicycle or car or motorcycle.
Likes For djb:
Old 11-27-20, 08:15 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
We don’t use up much pad on descents here, the hills only go up.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 11-28-20, 01:40 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
The Shimano JO3A pads are really expensive. I get that you might get frustrated, if you go through several pairs a year. Shouldn't be necessary and all the banter over brake technique isn't very helpful either. Its akin to blaming the rider for poor brake performance, cos "he" didnt do the elaborate 15 step brake in procedure just right. Well, Blah! Brakes are there to control speed and is a crucial safety feature that should just work without endless babying and/or frequent, expensive replacements. - You simply shouldn't have to go faster than you want to, or are comfortable with, because of inadequate brakes.

To my knowledge Shimano has several different pads in the J (finned) and G (unfinned) series that would fit your calliper, and endless options in aftermarket rotors and pads too. Yo might want to try some semi metallic pads for longer service life. They may wear a bit more on the rotor, but at good (6 bolt?) rotor isnt expansive and last a long time anyway.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 11-28-20 at 01:58 AM.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 11-28-20, 06:01 AM
djb

Originally Posted by grizzly59
We don’t use up much pad on descents here, the hills only go up.
lordy, it really does feel that way so often doesn't it?
Old 11-30-20, 05:57 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Brake fade.

On another bike, I have TRP hylex, which have fin-less pads, and I had such poor luck with them I put Shimano calipers on. (I only just did this so I don't have any real evidence that this is an improvement).
Only once in my life I have experienced an overheated brake. The rear rotor turned slightly blue and it had a burning smell. I had to replace pads and rotor as after that it would no longer brake properly (it wasn't really dangerous as I could brake, but it required more force than usual). I was using Avid brakes and pads when that happened.

I have descended that same trail lots of times after that, probably more than a hundred, as it's close to my house, and never again I had any issue with both Shimano and Discobrake pads.
Old 11-30-20, 01:13 PM
Bnystrom

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing that I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned is that if you look at the cup of pads in the first post, a lot of them look like they're still perfectly good. It seems as if you're changing them way more often than necessary. What criteria are you using to determine when to change pads?

Last edited by Bnystrom; 11-30-20 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 05:25 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Bnystrom
One thing that I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned is that if you look at the cup of pads in the first post, a lot of them look like they're still perfectly good. It seems as if you're changing them way more often than necessary. What criteria are you using to determine when to change pads?
Calipers. But you are right, which is one reason why I hoard them. What I have found is one side will often wear faster than the other, so I try to re-match them and put them on less critical bikes.
Old 11-30-20, 05:34 PM
Bnystrom

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Calipers. But you are right, which is one reason why I hoard them. What I have found is one side will often wear faster than the other, so I try to re-match them and put them on less critical bikes.
Why not just pair them up and put them back on? Some of the pads in that picture look like they're barely worn at all.
Old 11-30-20, 05:38 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Bnystrom
Why not just pair them up and put them back on? Some of the pads in that picture look like they're barely worn at all.
Uhhhm ... isn't that what I just said?

The thickest pad in that photo (I just measured) is 1.1mm. Shimano recommends replacing at 0.9mm. I suspect that they are a bit conservative, but it isn't like I am tossing out unworn pads (which are about 1.8 mm to 2.0 mm).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-30-20 at 06:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.