Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Jandd Extreme on Miyata 1000?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 05:19 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts

Hi all, I've been contemplating the purchase of a Jandd Extreme front rack for my 1991 Miyata 1000 after reading about its indestructibility. I've had one guy reply to my ad saying that it most likely won't fit because the cantilevers interfere with rack's position. I somehow doubt this, since I've seen photos of the Extreme mounted to bikes with cantilevers. That said, I would like to hear your professional opinions on whether or not this rack will fit. I figured this would belong in the C&V section since it's a Miyata, but if this belongs in the Touring section, would the mods please move this there? Thanks.
By the way, here is a quick photo of the Miyata in question:
Likes For philpeugeot:
Old 12-06-20, 05:51 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I have that rack on my 2014 Long Haul Trucker.

Very tight clearance between the bottom outside of the cantilever brake and the upper cross bar. There's also an issue with the top platform and clearance between it and the tire/fender being a very tight fit. Took a bit of fiddling to get the planets all in alignment on this one.

Mine isn't the 'tall boy' version of this rack, which was introduced after I got this one. I suspect the tall boy's higher 'head room' would have allowed for mounting the rack a bit farther below the cantilevers. Jandd has measurements for both racks on their website.

There's been some threads on these issues in the touring section here.

I believe there may be dimensional differences between modern and vintage cantilever breaks and posts, so these may or may not be issues for your Miyata 1000.

Old 12-06-20, 05:55 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
If you look in the linked thread you will see a picture of that rack on a Surly LHT which also has cantilevers. I can see no reason it will not fit the Miyata.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...requested.html
Old 12-06-20, 06:18 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts
Thanks for the information. I guess I'll give it a shot and try fitting it.
Old 12-06-20, 08:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
I've used one on a couple of canti brake bikes and its fit perfectly. It may be the canti brakes i used fit better than others because of the angle.

I've had it on a 1990 Fuji made touring frame and currently have it on a Black Mountain MC frame.
I did have to wiggle the rack around the canti brakes when mounting it, but a bit of pulling the rack out for a moment is all thats needed.

Oh, and on the mid-fork mount, I use a 10mm spacer between the rack and fork, so a 30mm m5 bolt is used to secure everything. The spacer has been needed for both forks.

Well I thought I had a pic of the rack on the fuji made frame, but all I can find are pics with gear loaded. I guess this shows the rack is plenty relaiable!