Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How Many Times Have You Felt Like Doing This to a Car?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 12-31-20, 08:30 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts

Seriously, this is terrible behavior, and incidents like these will have only bad repercussions for riders here in NYC.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/30/nyc-bi...d-video-shows/
Old 12-31-20, 08:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Looks like a "Criminal" Mass ride.
Old 12-31-20, 10:25 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
It is national news and gives bad motorist everywhere an excuse to assault cyclist.
Props to the driver for not just taking off in self-defense and running over a couple of the criminals.
Old 12-31-20, 10:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I would have run over their bikes.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-31-20, 11:27 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
How many times have I felt like assaulting a grandma with my gang? Well... never, really.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-31-20, 11:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I wonder if this is a group that actually is involved with stealing bikes. Seems they didn't care much for their bikes.

I've been under the assumption that bike theft in really big cities is an organized thing. You want to sell drugs, but a lot of your users run out of money quick. So you have others go out and steal bikes then give the bikes to your users to sell so they can get more money for more drugs which is your main business. Similar to laundering money. It removes you from the crime since it's the user that'll get caught selling the bike and they won't tell that they were doing it to get more money for drugs.

Maybe not. But hoping a reason or cause is found.
Old 12-31-20, 11:39 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Well, it was a BMW so they probably deserved it...

Seriously, I wouldn't call them cyclists, but a group of thugs with bicycles. The article said they attacked a cab after that incident, so it would appear to be less of a road rage incident and more like a bunch of troublemakers causing mayhem.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 12-31-20, 11:41 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wonder if this is a group that actually is involved with stealing bikes. Seems they didn't care much for their bikes.

I've been under the assumption that bike theft in really big cities is an organized thing. You want to sell drugs, but a lot of your users run out of money quick. So you have others go out and steal bikes then give the bikes to your users to sell so they can get more money for more drugs which is your main business. Similar to laundering money. It removes you from the crime since it's the user that'll get caught selling the bike and they won't tell that they were doing it to get more money for drugs.

I don't think that's a thing. Normally it's the drug users themselves stealing stuff to either fence or pawn in order to get drug money. It doesn't make sense for a drug dealer to have someone steal bikes to give to the druggies to sell in order to buy more drugs. If they were into theft as well as drug dealing, they'd just sell the bikes themselves and keep that money while also getting money from the drug users.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 12-31-20, 01:14 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
This ain't about cyclists. I work in NYC and have seen these "wanna be gangstas" cruising around midtown. It's not just 'one group', this is like an instagram thing now. I've seen probably ten different groups over time, they come through TSQ like they're doing a parade or something. I maybe see one bunch a week. They're usually teens, maybe a dozen or so, riding as a pack and taking up the whole street. Lotsa wheelies, often quite impressive with the wheelies. Saw one cat riding a wheelie on a lefty fork with NO front wheel - how far he came and went, who knows. The groups are intentionally provocative, but never seem particularly dangerous, more circus-like. And they cruise thru, with maybe a few antics if there are spectators around, and then they're gone. So, I don't know what happened with the car/driver in the above article, but this is the first time I'm ever hearing of an altercation (quite an altercation) happening with these kids (they are almost always 16-19 years old). It's extremely unlikely that this car/driver was attacked randomly, but apparently he pissed off the wrong crew at that moment. One really shouldn't do that in New York. Or anywhere. This ain't about cyclists, it's about a driver that pissed off a big group of show-off-bully teens in New York one day. And they had bikes, by the way.

Last edited by blacknbluebikes; 12-31-20 at 01:17 PM. Reason: tpyos
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 12-31-20, 01:20 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
They are not cyclists they are punks on bikes whose “ courage” only is apparent when they are with their peers. 1 15 yr old has been arrested. The driver had his 70 yr old mother in the car. When the Mom called 911 she should have correctly said they were in fear of their lives. The driver should have immediately start to slowly drive away while steadily and slowly increasing speed until they were out of harms way then wait for the cops.
Likes For justtrying:
Old 12-31-20, 01:52 PM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Does anyone know the law in regards to trying to flee aka driving through the attackers in a situation like this?
Likes For plowmanjoe:
Old 12-31-20, 02:06 PM
justtrying

Originally Posted by plowmanjoe
Does anyone know the law in regards to trying to flee aka driving through the attackers in a situation like this?
I don’t know the legal implications if you do drive away and strike the assailants I would imagine if an investigation rightly proved you were in fear of serious injury or losing your life you would no trouble legally. As the saying goes” I rather be judged by 12 individuals then being carried by 6”
Likes For justtrying:
Old 12-31-20, 02:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Sounds rather, uh, fanciful.
Old 12-31-20, 02:36 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by plowmanjoe
User name checks out!
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 12-31-20, 02:37 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by justtrying
I don’t know the legal implications if you do drive away and strike the assailants I would imagine if an investigation rightly proved you were in fear of serious injury or losing your life you would no trouble legally. As the saying goes” I rather be judged by 12 individuals then being carried by 6”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/n...manhattan.html
Old 12-31-20, 03:01 PM
justtrying

That is a somewhat different scenario. They slapped the car, they did not jump on he car or attempt to throw a bike through
the windshield. In the end it is how a DA or a jury perceives your intent.( whether you really feared for your life and acted accordingly or you panicked and ran over people. This latest incident seemed more dangerous to the occupants of the BMW then the one with the woman.
Old 12-31-20, 04:02 PM
njkayaker

That is a somewhat different scenario. They slapped the car, they did not jump on he car or attempt to throw a bike through
the windshield. In the end it is how a DA or a jury perceives your intent.( whether you really feared for your life and acted accordingly or you panicked and ran over people. This latest incident seemed more dangerous to the occupants of the BMW then the one with the woman.
Yes, it's somewhat different (I certainly wasn't suggesting they were the same).

We know (in hindsight) what the outcome was in this scenario.

It was likely much better than it would have been if the BMW driver had ran anybody over.
Old 12-31-20, 09:00 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
A few years ago a driver ran over motorcyclists that were harassing him kicking his car etc. I don’t think anything happened to him. This also was in NY or a close suburb.
Old 01-01-21, 01:26 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
But the driver of the car is far too brainwashed by the society to even try to save his life.
Huh. Projecting much?

Scary for the driver, but his life seems to have been saved just fine. He did the right thing. In what universe would it have been better if he ran over and killed these 15 year old doofuses?

Last edited by samkl; 01-01-21 at 01:32 AM.
Likes For samkl:
Old 01-01-21, 07:47 AM
justtrying

Originally Posted by samkl
Huh. Projecting much?

Scary for the driver, but his life seems to have been saved just fine. He did the right thing. In what universe would it have been better if he ran over and killed these 15 year old doofuses?
Hind sight is 20/20. We saw most of the incident. When the gang was in the process of demolishing the windshield,I would say any reasonable person could be afraid for their life & more importantly the life of his 70 year old mother.
Likes For justtrying:
Old 01-01-21, 10:16 AM
njkayaker

Hind sight is 20/20. We saw most of the incident. When the gang was in the process of demolishing the windshield,I would say any reasonable person could be afraid for their life & more importantly the life of his 70 year old mother.
Most of what you learn is from hindsight.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-01-21, 12:26 PM
rydabent
Banned

On the news, the police have arrested one of the thugs that committed that crime.
Old 01-02-21, 05:29 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Let's not paint them with the 'cyclist' brush just cuz they had bikes. If they were running around the city on foot doing such nonsense would we call them runners? "Group of runners terrorize couple in SUV"
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 01-02-21, 05:43 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
Seriously, this is terrible behavior, and incidents like these will have only bad repercussions for riders here in NYC.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/30/nyc-bi...d-video-shows/
Never
Old 01-02-21, 07:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

Apparently now the one guy they arrested, they had to let go because he had an alibi. I still hoping the police catch the thugs that did that!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.