Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer Personality Test

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-20, 10:44 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts

What is your bike computer's personality ?
  1. New puppy that has its personality born in, and will get real big, want to be the alpha dog and chew up your furniture. Frequently runs off.
  2. Sweet girl next door. Available, not hugely capable, but neither of you ask very much of each other.
  3. Flirt who peaks in high school with overflowing expectation that never seems to mature. High maintenance. High expectation. More maintenance.
  4. Needy , never seems to get it right.
  5. School librarian, gets the job done, and just looks over their glasses at you when you ask for something they don't approve of.
Old 12-11-20, 10:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Librarian. Or accountant. Mine are XOSS G+. No frills, just does the job. No navigation aids, no maps or breadcrumb trails. It's basically like a Cateye computer, but with GPS and compatible with ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors.

I'd guesstimate about 95% reliable. There are occasional GPS sync glitches, possibly due to atmospheric conditions and radio frequency interference. Direct uploads from the XOSS computer to Strava are routed through the XOSS servers, so there are occasional glitches or slowdowns. But overall it's been fine this year. I've used 'em since January, no serious complaints.
Old 12-12-20, 11:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
My bike computers do not have any personality. They are machines.

Now if you turn it around, there are times when they get a bit of my personality. But for the most part, they work as advertised for me. I'm always perplexed when others have issues with features that work so well for me.
Old 12-12-20, 11:44 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Mine is comparable in utility to a six-pack of Budweiser's position in the beer world: cost me six bucks, tells me the speed, how far I've gone, and the time. Doesn't do much else, and I don't need it to.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 12-13-20, 07:54 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
None of what you have listed. Mine is fast, solid, capable of more things than I will ever use.
Likes For tntyz:
Old 12-17-20, 02:22 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

It seems contentedness correlates strongly with having one bike and configuration.
As I have added stuff , Powermeter, Varia and used for indoor sensors with classic trainer
things began to require lots of maintenance, and have poor reliability/stability attributable to conflicts.
For some folks , with all same sensors and stable configuration, it may be real nice, walk in the park.
For some very much just an exercise in frustration for anyone not a professional or hobbiest programmer/debugger.
I fear that is many

Today I went to go for a ride. my sensors were buggy and down, speed showed without distance
took an hour of stuff to get working. That happens regularly.
I'm pretty savy. This is not a system ready for prime time
Going for a ride. May carry my phone. May use the varia app
May not bother

Last edited by bikebikebike; 12-17-20 at 03:56 PM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 12-18-20, 10:42 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
It seems contentedness correlates strongly with having one bike and configuration.
As I have added stuff , Powermeter, Varia and used for indoor sensors with classic trainer
things began to require lots of maintenance, and have poor reliability/stability attributable to conflicts.
For some folks , with all same sensors and stable configuration, it may be real nice, walk in the park.
For some very much just an exercise in frustration for anyone not a professional or hobbiest programmer/debugger.
I fear that is many

Today I went to go for a ride. my sensors were buggy and down, speed showed without distance
took an hour of stuff to get working. That happens regularly.
I'm pretty savy. This is not a system ready for prime time
Going for a ride. May carry my phone. May use the varia app
May not bother
This sounds like my experience with the Garmin Edge 520. Sensors would drop and reconnect in mid-ride. I even had a firmware update happen in the middle of a ride. I finally stopped connecting to my phone and the bulk of the issues disappeared.

This year switched to the Edge 530 and it is rock solid. No sensor drops, phone connection works great.
Likes For tntyz:
Old 01-02-21, 10:11 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
what's a "bike computer" ?

Likes For mrv:
Old 01-11-21, 05:09 AM
bikebikebike

Please don't remind me I could have had a Brooks and those pedals for what I paid for my bike computer.

Two Brooks

and the Schwinn thrown in.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 01-11-21, 05:59 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
Please don't remind me I could have had a Brooks and those pedals for what I paid for my bike computer.

Two Brooks

and the Schwinn thrown in.
- probably it's worse than you think - I got the Brooks used here in the BF for about $60 I think. The Crank Bros 50/50 from TheFaceBooks for $40. The bars from Bianchigirll for maybe $30. The ol' Schwinn (Japanese lugged steel!) $50.
Anyway, many years ago I quickly adopted heart rate monitors and cadence sensors and what not (long before power meters were feasible). That stuff become tyrannical. A person just becomes a slave to the training plan. A slave to the numbers.
I saw a guy on a very price bike pulled over trying to get his sensors to work. He must have had his tail light tied into the whole deal as it kept starting and stopping as I approached. I asked if he needed help - nope, a sensor problem. Just a slave to the numbers and the gadgets.
No thanks.
Likes For mrv:
Old 01-11-21, 11:09 AM
GusV

Bikes: Trek FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mostly like a librarian that has the basic info but also needy, mainly because it won't shut up when I'm done and it has to beep continually before it shuts down.
Old 01-11-21, 05:07 PM
bikebikebike

Originally Posted by mrv
-
I saw a guy on a very price bike pulled over trying to get his sensors to work. He must have had his tail light tied into the whole deal as it kept starting and stopping as I approached. I asked if he needed help - nope, a sensor problem. Just a slave to the numbers and the gadgets.
No thanks.
I suspect the Garmin GroupTrack is just there to help you find your buddies after you pulled over to fiddle with the device.
I use data for fitness training, but 95% of the data is just noise and the device has some issue 15-20% of the time
For a lot of use a cell phone is plenty,for my use. It took cars a while to get things right.