Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Slightly small frame: can I get away with it?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 01-03-21, 07:46 PM
easyd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello friends, first post here. I'm looking to build a new road bike, and have been on the hunt for a frame. I usually ride something in the 19.5 inch, 49cm range (being all of 5'6" tall), but would like to know what range would be acceptable. Since I'm building from the frame up, I figure that if the frame is slightly small, I can compensate with the other components (correct me if I'm wrong). The frame I'm looking at is 17.5 inches: is this just looking for trouble, or can I make it work? Thanks
Old 01-04-21, 05:15 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by easyd
Hello friends, first post here. I'm looking to build a new road bike, and have been on the hunt for a frame. I usually ride something in the 19.5 inch, 49cm range (being all of 5'6" tall), but would like to know what range would be acceptable. Since I'm building from the frame up, I figure that if the frame is slightly small, I can compensate with the other components (correct me if I'm wrong). The frame I'm looking at is 17.5 inches: is this just looking for trouble, or can I make it work? Thanks
If it were me I would not go with a frame 2-3 sizes too small. Seems like a lot of time, energy and expense for what will be a sub-optimal fit (at best).
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 01-04-21, 12:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,379 Posts
I'm a short legged 5' 6-1/2" and ride a 52cm. Perfect fit. It's best to go by effective top tube length anyway, which is not how bikes are sized, unfortunately. Use the bike fit calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
and go by top tube.
Old 01-07-21, 06:59 AM
fredjustison

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I thought 19.5 inches was a medium/Lg frame am I wrong about this?
Old 01-07-21, 08:03 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
if you are being paid to be fast, make the "race fit" work for you. if you want to have fun in a way that is not masochistic, get a frame that fits a normal person.
Old 01-09-21, 10:19 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
The top tube length will have more of a different with fit than seat tube .
Old 01-10-21, 12:18 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
So that would be what, a 44-45cm, essentially? Maybe if you've got really nubby legs. My wife is 5'6" and can comfortably ride a 54cm. The frame in question would likely be for someone under 5' tall.