Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cleaning around all those spokes ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 04:48 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I’m currently working on cleaning up a nice late 70’s Follis 472 and am wondering if there might be an easy method for getting the spokes and hubs clean? I’ve contemplated just having the wheels completely re-spoked and clean the hubs while they are out but maybe there’s another method ?
Old 01-07-21, 05:50 PM
rhender 

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2; 1988 Cannondale SR500; 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'm about to undertake the same project so I'm just commenting to follow this thread.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 01-07-21, 06:26 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,497 Posts
synthetic steel wool works wonders on carbon spokes.chrommax on dull alloy hubs.

Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 01-07-21, 06:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
built wheel cleaning the hub body I use a long rag back & forth like shining shoes. Around the spokes at the hub and rim is just a bunch of painstaking, time consuming hand work. No real quick & easy way. Just cleaning I use old toothbrushes etc. but for hand polishing it's just tedious.
Old 01-07-21, 07:11 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Sit in front of the TV for 30mins per night and polish spokes one at a time.
No shortcut.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 01-07-21, 08:12 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rhender
I'm about to undertake the same project so I'm just commenting to follow this thread.

Thanks,
Ray
FYI. You can subscribe to a thread but clicking on "Thread Tools: and selecting "Subscribe to this Thread". It took a while before I figured that out.

Last edited by bikeaddiction1; 01-07-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-07-21, 08:23 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A toothbrush and a bit of mineral spirits works pretty well. It will remove the worst of the grime.
Old 01-07-21, 08:47 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've used a power washer on some old wheels before. Did an ok job of getting most of the grime off.
Old 01-07-21, 08:53 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Are the spokes rusty or just dull? If rusty, it's probably best to replace them with modern stainless steel spokes. If just dull, metal polish and time will do it.
Old 01-07-21, 10:50 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I would use some large brush like for shoe shining with semi stiff bristles and dip it liberally in some paste cleaner for metal surfaces and brush across the spokes summarily with light hand.

You can also use that brush used for cleaning inside bottles or round openings, they can be got in various sizes, also dip them in some polishing shining paste and thread them through those smaller spoke openings near the hub. Of course, it is dirty job, best done outside and in some old coveralls or swimming trunks.

Or as said above, it makes for a nice job while watching tv. In that case, I would use a rag dipped into a paste cleaner and do one spoke at a time. But your fingers will suffer when working next to the hubs, brush is easier and better but more messy, way more.
Old 01-08-21, 01:27 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
After a long day at a computer I find an hour in the garage cleaning wheels or regreasing hubs very therapeutic.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 01-08-21, 09:58 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
I've taken to use auto tire/wheel cleaner for such. I have to be careful around the tire branding it will damage the logos. Just wet the rims spray on, using a very light brush, it foams rinse and repeat if needed.

It will work on hubs but I'm careful not to get it in the bearings. Works great on crusty brake scum and cranks to. It's not a degreaser, it leaves the rubber clean, I have not seen that hurts paint but it may.

Here are some crusty cranks cleaned with Armour All tire cleaner

It took a couple of applications on the cranks

Last edited by Mr. 66; 01-08-21 at 10:07 AM.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 01-08-21, 10:44 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I've taken to use auto tire/wheel cleaner for such. I have to be careful around the tire branding it will damage the logos. Just wet the rims spray on, using a very light brush, it foams rinse and repeat if needed.

It will work on hubs but I'm careful not to get it in the bearings. Works great on crusty brake scum and cranks to. It's not a degreaser, it leaves the rubber clean, I have not seen that hurts paint but it may.

Here are some crusty cranks cleaned with Armour All tire cleaner

It took a couple of applications on the cranks
Did you remove and disassemble the cranks? I usually do on very cruddy ones as fighting to get between chain rings can take more effort. If you method is working without disassembly it could be a great time saver.
Old 01-09-21, 08:23 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
For the the above, I did/do remove the cranks but that was for rebuilding the bottom bracket. They were not disassembled but it is more convenient to clean off the bike. If there is any residue left I use some wd40 and water on a rag. I try to avoid disassembly.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 01-09-21, 08:38 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
An old toothbrush and mineral spirits works well for those tight places.
Old 01-09-21, 09:54 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
cleaning parts

When I do a restoration/service I first strip the bike of all its brightwork( everything but the frame itself).
I place all the rusty bits in a large plastic jar full of white vinegar and let soak overnight
Greasy things like chain and derailleurs go in a mineral spirits bath
After soaking in vinegar I rinse and inspect. surface rust usually just wipes off. crusty rust will get scraped and/ or coated with rust remover (navel jelly ) then rinsed
Often times I will chuck a wire brush into my drill press and use it to clean rusty or dirty nuts and bolts and other parts.
Cranks are sometimes disassembled. other times cleaned with tooth brush and small wire brush. Teeth are often passed under wire brush on drill press to clean just the ends.
In between chainrings, soak in mineral spirits then take a strip of cardboard cut from Amazon box and run between the rings.
Chains, soak in thinner then set rotary wire brush on drill press so the bristles just touch the drill table and pull the chain from side to side as the brush rotates, turning the chain so all sides get brushed.
Wheels, clean hubs with small brass wire brush and/ or tooth brush and mineral spirits (I keep solvents in small squeeze bottles so I can drip small amounts onto rag or into tight places)
After scrubbing , slip terry shop rag in between spokes and polish hub
For stainless spokes Soak 0000 steal wool in thinner then slide up and down spokes. Tooth brush/ spirits scrub around nipples at rim.
Rims, wipe down with spirits then use 3m white polishing compound to remove grime and stains .
For greasy derailleurs, after soaking , use tooth brush and solvent to scrub/ loosen caked on grease .

With all parts. after cleaning wash in hot water and Dawn detergent, dry. If concerned about part rusting , coat with wd40 then wipe off excess.

Cleaning caged bearings. Soak in solvent, then using compressed air, blow remaining grease out of bearing race and re grease.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 01-09-21, 11:44 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
capnjonny: reminds me of the '70s, kind of enjoyed taking bike apart to its smallest component parts (except freewheels/deraillers) and
cleaning last bit of greasy dirt off, then polishing aluminum parts with metal polish and putting it all back together, usually could
do this in one night. Now I clean the chain every few months in situ and scrape chain crud off CW/cassette/jockeys 1-2x yr and
wash bike 2-3x/yr. Total take downs like of old only when doing rebuilds with new component groups, maybe 5-8 yr intervals.
How you spend your time changes a lot between age 28 and age 70.