Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Moisture's Unique Frame Fit

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Moisture's Unique Frame Fit

Old 01-30-21, 11:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I would try to lower the seat a little nonetheless, but the auto mexhanic who got my old seat post out shoved one slightly too large in diameter back in, so I'd need the auto body shop's help to get it back out again.
Well, that should be good for another couple of pages
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-30-21, 11:19 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What you say is all good IMO except for the embolded section. One moves one's saddle to get correct balance, though even this assumes that one's upper body is somewhere near its final position. One takes their weight off their hands by moving their saddle, not their bars. One should be able to briefly take both hands off the bars, while pedaling normally, without sliding forward on the saddle. After one has that balance, one worries about reach. If one's position is way out of whack, there might be some back and forth adjusting to do, first one thing, then the other, then back to the first thing, etc.
Moving saddle back, bars away is effectively the same thing. Which is the appropriate fix would depend on how a rider is rotated, (being further forward or bolt upright) and the riders individual propertions. Your point is taken though, I could have been more clear.

Last edited by base2; 01-30-21 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-30-21, 11:30 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Moisture, as mentioned above, you obviously did not take your measurements correctly and got a screwy result. One can't do that alone, one needs a helper to measure and one muse follow the directions precisely to get a correct result.

Be that as it may, there's a much more direct route to look at correct bike sizing and that's to measure with your body. I set saddle height by measuring with my leg, the "heel on pedal" method. I determine correct reach by measuring with my torso and arms. I was talking about your top tube seeming much too short just eyeballing it. We could take another look at that fairly simply:

1) Take a photo of yourself leaning forward with your elbows on your handlebars.
2) See if you can lean forward far enough that your back is almost level. You'll probably wind up resting your chest on your bars. Hang your upper arms so that those upper arms are at about a 90° angle to your torso. Then bend your elbows so that your forearms are horizontal. Take a photo of that position. It may take a few tries to get that position just so.
3) Post the photos.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-21, 11:31 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Moving saddle back, bars away is effectively the same thing. Which is the appropriate fix would depend on how a rider is rotated, being further forward or bolt upright. Your point is taken though, I could have been more clear.
Not really.
Old 01-30-21, 11:36 AM
aniki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
But please don't make fun of my fit - at least not until you see the setup in action.
Quite frankly it's very difficult not to make fun of your fit when by inference, you're making fun of everyone else's.
I can safely assume that you're the only person in this thread who modifies and rides a 'racing bike' to become some kind of 'shopping' bike or town bike while I also make the assumption that everyone else on this thread including me has a position more akin to the person you're calling mr. arched banana back.
Yet you've said that you can only ride for an hour and half before you get a sore butt (not that that surprises me at all as you clearly have far too much weight on it) whereas I, and no doubt all those who adopt the same position as mr. arched banana back can ride 6, 7 or 8 hours in a day without any butt soreness at all.
I don't think we've got much chance of 'seeing' your set up in action but maybe you can publish some garmin stats or show us some strava screenshots and we can see the phenomenal power you're able to produce with this 'optimal' position....
Likes For aniki:
Old 01-30-21, 11:38 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Moving saddle back, bars away is effectively the same thing.
Not really.
no it isn't.
Old 01-30-21, 11:46 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Not really.
Just edited to add "individual proportions" to above post.

I have long monkey arms for example. At 6 foot tall and a 31.5 inseam, I am all torso & arms. All my bikes are 58's The proper saddle placement for balance for you, on your bike would obliterate my wrists & shoulders/neck in short order.

In isolation, moving the saddle back, or moving the bars away effect the same result: Less weight bourne on the hands/wrists/shoulders/neck muscles.

Here is my nearest equivalent fit to the OP that I owned & built before I donated it to a local bike co-op charity for auction. I used to ride it on the Lake Washington loop & do 30 mile trips to Ballard for craft beer inspection & testing.
20190330_180742 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
You'll notice how far the bars are away, in comparison to how much the OP's arms are holding up his torso in the photo he provides in post number 1. One of us will be way more comfortable on much longer rides.

Last edited by base2; 01-30-21 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-30-21, 12:25 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Moisture, I just gotta say it.

That's an ugly bike, but it looks good when you use it...
Old 01-30-21, 12:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Moisture, I just gotta say it.

That's an ugly bike, but it looks good when you use it...
You're half right.
Old 02-01-21, 02:46 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by aniki
Quite frankly it's very difficult not to make fun of your fit when by inference, you're making fun of everyone else's.
I can safely assume that you're the only person in this thread who modifies and rides a 'racing bike' to become some kind of 'shopping' bike or town bike while I also make the assumption that everyone else on this thread including me has a position more akin to the person you're calling mr. arched banana back.
Yet you've said that you can only ride for an hour and half before you get a sore butt (not that that surprises me at all as you clearly have far too much weight on it) whereas I, and no doubt all those who adopt the same position as mr. arched banana back can ride 6, 7 or 8 hours in a day without any butt soreness at all.
I don't think we've got much chance of 'seeing' your set up in action but maybe you can publish some garmin stats or show us some strava screenshots and we can see the phenomenal power you're able to produce with this 'optimal' position....
Quite frankly, i don't give a sh*t what you think of my fit.

With the exception of cube wheels, I haven't made fun of one single persons fit on this forum. Even in his case, I was being very constructive and understanding that his choices are limited and he is making due based on what he has and his proportions, respectively.

From a postural perspective, an arched lower back is terrifyingly bad news. Unfortunately it would be wise to compromise your racy leaning forward position somewhat so you can keep your back in a more or less natural posture.

I am not here to argue whether such a leaning position is or isn't effective. I am certainly not here to judge other people's fit or criticize them directly because their opinion does not directly coincide with my own ideas. Shame on you for not doing the same.

When you ride your bike, assuming your stabilizer muscles are all engaged properly and keeping everything tight, you should feel like you are bang on centre. You should be able to easily weigh your front OR rear axle effortlessly, at any given moment of your ride, without ever feeling like there is too much weight positioned back or forth.

Originally Posted by cubewheels
If you can measure your knee bend angle from straight at the 6 or 5 o'clock position, it should be within 25 and 35 degrees at your preferred feet position on the pedals and your preferred toes down or up angle. YOu can take picture of yourself on bike and measure the angle on the picture.

Mine is 30 degrees in toe up feet (heel dropped) position. 30 degree knee bend is very common setting. But how it affects your pedaling efficiency is the final verdict. Bouncing at high cadence (~100rpm) is definitely not good.
Bouncing can be alleviated with some mindful motor skills and keeping the weight of your butt off the saddle when you are sprinting.

According to the heel to pedal method of measuring leg extension, I am bang on perfect. (note, my inseam is about 34.8 inches and I ride with 175mm cranks) . I digress.

Try a frame your size.

Just edited to add "individual proportions" to above post.

I have long monkey arms for example. At 6 foot tall and a 31.5 inseam, I am all torso & arms. All my bikes are 58's The proper saddle placement for balance for you, on your bike would obliterate my wrists & shoulders/neck in short order.

In isolation, moving the saddle back, or moving the bars away effect the same result: Less weight bourne on the hands/wrists/shoulders/neck muscles.

Here is my nearest equivalent fit to the OP that I owned & built before I donated it to a local bike co-op charity for auction. I used to ride it on the Lake Washington loop & do 30 mile trips to Ballard for craft beer inspection & testing.
20190330_180742 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
You'll notice how far the bars are away, in comparison to how much the OP's arms are holding up his torso in the photo he provides in post number 1. One of us will be way more comfortable on much longer rides.
Again, its not exactly the same thing. Moving your saddle back will bias more weight towards the rear of the bike. Moving the bars away from you will bias more weight toward the front of the bike.

Therefore, your body is not balanced or positioned identically in either circumstance;

Not the same thing .
Old 02-01-21, 07:53 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Your seat looks very obviously too high. Your picture doesn't show you did it correctly.

It really sounds ridiculous you're giving advice on bike fit when you can't even get the seat height right. You don't even know proper sprinting technique.
Dude, my seat is at the correct height .
Old 02-01-21, 08:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Quite frankly, i don't give a sh*t what you think of my fit.
Then why did you post the photo and argue with everyone who commented on it?

Dude, my seat is at the correct height .
It's not even close to the correct height.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-01-21, 09:12 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

It doesn't look like it. The guy on the right has correct seat height, look at the knees.

don't judge until you see leg extension at 6 o clock positioning
Old 02-01-21, 09:36 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Again, its not exactly the same thing. Moving your saddle back will bias more weight towards the rear of the bike. Moving the bars away from you will bias more weight toward the front of the bike.

Therefore, your body is not balanced or positioned identically in either circumstance;

Not the same thing .
Base2 to Base2:
Hey Base2, Base2 here. Look, I know you wanna help an' all...& you know a thing or two about a thing or two, but this guy doesn't want your help & he isn't interested in listening. You see Base2, he doesn't share a common reality or have the experience with which to share a common understanding of what the words mean that you are using.

Just leave him alone, my friend. Just let it be. He'll come to understand in his own time.

Peace be with you, brother.
Base2

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-02-21, 07:50 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
everything about your fit is stupid. I tried to help, but I don't have time for sheer willful ignorance. I will continue to contradict all the ignorant crap you post on this forum whenever appropriate, lest you lead other riders astray and end up hurting themselves. your "advice" is just plain irresponsible.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-02-21, 08:26 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Threads such as this one remind me of the 1960s folk and pop singer Donovan boasting in an interview that he had mastered the sitar in 6 months. Ravi Shankar, told of Donovan's statement, said "I've studied the sitar for 35 years, and I have yet to master it."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-02-21, 12:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
"- I have nearly full leg extension at the 3 o clock crank position"

FIFY
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-02-21, 10:23 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Seat height is correct. Leg's too short. ETT and stem extension are correct. Upper body and arms are too long.

I don't mean to be nasty. My own way of handling a weak core is to avoid exercise and accept the pain of too much weight on my hands, arms, and associated joints. But my seat height is correct - no knee pain riding, but I get knee pain while walking and dancing. (I avoid running, too, whenever possible.) No back or butt pain, either, while on the bike, because the bike's length is about right, and my butt takes only part of my weight.

Moisture, You need to run some more experiments and check out more variables. You closed your mind prematurely, sort of like Donovan did.
Old 02-03-21, 12:54 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by philbob57
Seat height is correct. Leg's too short. ETT and stem extension are correct. Upper body and arms are too long.

I don't mean to be nasty. My own way of handling a weak core is to avoid exercise and accept the pain of too much weight on my hands, arms, and associated joints. But my seat height is correct - no knee pain riding, but I get knee pain while walking and dancing. (I avoid running, too, whenever possible.) No back or butt pain, either, while on the bike, because the bike's length is about right, and my butt takes only part of my weight.

Moisture, You need to run some more experiments and check out more variables. You closed your mind prematurely, sort of like Donovan did.
You seem to be rather accurate.

I'm going to begin gradually lowering my stem height in small increments as I get used to using my core more. So far, I'm definetly noticing an improvement due to extra mindfulness as well as increased core training.

My inseam is almost 35 inches. I actually thought it was my torso that was proportionally short. I do know that my arms are pretty long though. I think that these factors are the main reason why I wanted such a weird fit (flat bars on a drop bar bike)

Id be very eager to play around with some different road bikes and find a different riding position for reference. I am defintly keeping my options open here. I have been searching the classifieds nearly every single day for a 60-62cm or so frame to play around with i obviously want a more leaning forward position, but so far I haven't managed to make that possible in a way which works well for me.

As for poor core strength, like i was saying, its more a combination of nearly every muscle in your entire body which plays an important role. There's always something you can do about that. They say that even the wisest and most accomplished is never accepting of their achievements. It's always a work in progress. Why should you accept anything less when you can do more?
Old 02-03-21, 01:06 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Why haven't you posted a picture yet?
its hard to get a picture on my own using just a 10 sexond timer lol. I will get around to doing so today.

It's not a problem at all not even the least bit if you're properly trained for it. And training for aggressive racing posture takes months. There are no shortcuts to good stuff.
Totally agree. But my proportions make it difficult to comfortably achieve what you consider "aggressive"

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
everything about your fit is stupid. I tried to help, but I don't have time for sheer willful ignorance. I will continue to contradict all the ignorant crap you post on this forum whenever appropriate, lest you lead other riders astray and end up hurting themselves. your "advice" is just plain irresponsible.
I've experimented enough with different stem lengths and heights to get a good understanding of what works for me. You told me that the only way to learn from this point onwards is by trying new frames. I 100% agree with you. I don't have ready access to that.

I think that by the point you're just being inconsiderate. I mean, what sort of advice have I ever offered, (which didn't come from you, or someone else on here directly) that you don't agree with? By all means,.show me even one valid example.

All I see on here is a couple of trolls mixed in with the rest of the friendly commenters on here. But at least everyone has made themselves useful and taught me a thing or two about bikes.

Worse is he thinks everything that doesn't look like his riding posture is stupid despite hard proofs contradicting him on the matter.

What he need is professional help (not professional fitting). I've seen such behavior a lot among narcissists, they only care about what they think is right or what they think is the truth even if it contradicts reality or other people's experiences.
Youre delusional, and horrifyingly hypocritical.
Old 02-03-21, 02:04 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
As long as your seat height is as far wrong as it is, you cannot know what works for you. My bet is that your hips rock all through your pedaling motion. That is bad for your muscles. It's bad for your most tender skin.

You don't need a different bike to check out stem lengths. All you need is a longer stem and perhaps a Technomic stem to get the height you'll want.. That will force you to bend to each the 'bars, and I hope you bend at your hips, and keep your arms bent at the elbow. .Start with you 'bars as close to level with your saddle as possible. Make your 'bars go forward of the stem so you have to stretch a bit.

You'll solve your butt soreness by taking weight off your butt. You'll open your chest and probably be able breathe better. Your arms will hurt at first, but you'll probably develop core strength, and they'll stop hurting. (I say that because I'm overweight, and my upper body is weak, but my core gets strong enough by the end of the season if I focus on decent form.) You'll find riding easier and more enjoyable.

Some time conventional wisdom is conventional because it works well. Try it - it may work for you.

Last edited by philbob57; 02-03-21 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-03-21, 02:40 AM
aniki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I mean, what sort of advice have I ever offered, (which didn't come from you, or someone else on here directly) that you don't agree with? By all means,.show me even one valid example.
Your golden nuggets of baseless nonsensical 'advice' can be found in at least the following threads on this very page...

https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-y...ll-fit-me.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-y...ke-sizing.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-y...oportions.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-y...g-cramped.html
Likes For aniki:
Old 02-03-21, 07:19 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

don't judge until you see leg extension at 6 o clock positioning
still waiting. you were able to get a photo of it before, what's stopping you now?
Old 02-03-21, 07:37 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

By all means,.show me even one valid example.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21905453-post34.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/21903224-post26.html

diet advice nonsense, contradicting an author's dietician https://www.bikeforums.net/21905175-post15.html

more bike fit/ physio gobbledygook https://www.bikeforums.net/21905453-post34.html

unqualified nonsense https://www.bikeforums.net/21903214-post11.html

Dr. Moisture telling people to scald themselves in the shower https://www.bikeforums.net/21902661-post12.html
where did you go to medical school?

The Cannondale Badboy was designed for a flat bar. someone should remind Cannondale! https://www.bikeforums.net/21902647-post7.html

so vague https://www.bikeforums.net/21901837-post48.html

someone told you that your saddle is too low, and you agreed. then in this thread, you say it's fine and setting up a camera to get a second opinion is too hard. https://www.bikeforums.net/21901170-post5.html
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-03-21, 07:51 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Boy, at first I thought he was just an overly enthusiastic newbie with a buncha goofy ideas but now I’m not so sure hahaha!
Likes For Rage:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.