Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I am once again a Clyde, several questions.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I am once again a Clyde, several questions.

Old 02-27-21, 04:00 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Given that this thread had been dead for 8 years, wonder how OP is doing now?
HA! I didn't even check the date. It was at the top so I jumped in.
Old 02-28-21, 11:21 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I think most people in this thread have lost and then gained and lost and gained, etc. We have not conquered the lifestyle changes needed to keep it off and is the reason some of us are Clydes in the first place.

1 - You know you can do it, so that's taken care of.
2 - Your life has changed, you need to carve out dedicated time to be on the bike. You may need to ensure you get to bed at a decent time and get up early to ride, or ride after everyone else has gone to bed. This will put you riding in the dark, but if you have the right setup and the right bike paths, you can do it. Commuters do it all the time.
3 - If necessary, listen to an audiobook or music while riding. NOT WHILE ON THE ROAD, and one ear only. Some will flame me for suggesting it, but you can do it if you are conscious of it and such.
4 - Get your rump in shape, your mind right, and then start to do workouts on the bike. Some increase pace on a distance shorter than you know you can go. Intervals. Etc.
5 - I haven't ready this entire thread but can you involve your spouse in riding on your Saturday rides? Go ride and end up at a brewery for a recovery drink.
Bottom line is you can't always rely on a single activity for weight loss and weight management. While you mention some valuable strategies to not completely let your riding fall off, and I would add getting a trainer for home or maybe do spinning or some sort of cycling oriented fitness activity for bad weather days, there might be times where it is not enough to keep the weight off, if you are eating too much.
The other thing is, we get used to whatever routine we do, so then need to do even more just to burn the same number of calories. Now some sort of interval or HIIT training might be the thing, or maybe some other activity to compliment cycling. Swimming, running, weights, kickboxing, or Jiu Jitsu, for example, might be just the thing to work different muscle groups you don't work in cycling and to keep your body on its toes.
Getting your spouse involved somehow in your routine is a good idea, even if it involves a slow recovery right to a pub or coffee shop. Or alternately, go out for a ride and have your spouse meet you somewhere along your ride.