Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

a question of motivation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 09:12 PM
RandomEncounter

Bikes: Holding steady at N

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome!
Old 04-03-16, 12:12 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I rode a lot as a kid, so it was pretty natural to me to get back on a bike and ride around as an adult. So I'm probably more like your friend.
Several years back, though, I did learn to ride a unicycle. How I did that was just get out and practice a few minutes every day. When I got tired of working at it, I'd put it up for the day. I'd recommend something like that for your bike. If you have a car, drive to some place where it's flat and not covered with cars and ride where it's easy while it gets comfortable to you.
Being uncomfortable on hills is okay, and the way you fix that is just ride around and get used to the bike, ride very gentle hills, and gradually expand your experiences. Don't feel obligated to do something that feels unsafe because somebody else is doing it.
I've ridden quite a few miles, and I can tell you that most cyclists have limits of what they'll ride up and ride down, and how fast they'll ride down, etc. The question is not having limits, but where those limits are. For you, they're very low, and that's okay. Keep riding and you'll get more comfortable with it all.
It may work better for you to practice specific skills, for that matter. Practice starting and stopping that seems to be an issue. Practice riding in circles, u-turns, etc. if that's a challenge for you.
The first bike I bought was a cheap mountain bike, and the saddle on it felt like I was sitting on a 2x4 (=piece of lumber in US sizes). I assumed that was because it was a skinny little seat. No, it was because that saddle was a cheap piece of crap. So be aware that you can upgrade the saddle if that becomes an issue. You're not stuck with what comes on the bike.
"Motivation" for cycling for me comes from it being fun. Part of that is just because the activity is fun. Part of that is that I have friends that I ride with. Anyway, you're not to the "fun" stage, but hopefully, you can get there pretty quick.
Old 04-03-16, 09:23 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by katytron
Hi everyone, about a month ago I bought a trek 7.2fx with the vague notion of peddling around my neighbourhood for fun and fitness, with maybe the eventual goal in mind to commute the 8.3km/5miles to work and back.

Did some research, went into a bike shop here in the city, got recommendations and made the purchase. Everything was going well until I actually tried to get on the damn thing and get moving: I'm completely terrified of being on two wheels, and can't seem to get mounted & moving on any kind of incline (my home is on a very slope-y street). Embarrassed but undeterred, I walked the bike about 7-8minutes to our local park and tried again on a flatter surface. The result this time was a bit more promising, as I can get on and get going. No idea what I'm doing with regards to gears, going downhill at a speed greater than a snail's crawl is terrifying and has me gripping the brakes, uphill still too daunting, and anything more complex than steering around a gentle curve is right out. But movement is still happening, so I count it as a win!

After about 25 minutes I walk back home, feeling shaky yet exhilarated, but definitely exhausted. Sore backside for a few days. My boyfriend gets on it from day 1 and immediately starts zipping up and down the slope-y street we live on, so I know it's possible. But after that initial ride I haven't touched the damn bike. So here's my question. I always seem to feel most like riding about an hour after I get into bed to sleep for the night, which is obviously not the ideal time.

How do you guys translate your fond wishes to be riding into actual action the next day? Any tips for someone who was a completely competent cyclist as a kid but has struggled coming back to it as an adult? I know doing it is the only way to improve and I've found the stories in this forum really helpful and motivating, so I'm hoping for some tips & encouragement myself! Ta xx
I can totally relate to your dilemma. I can't even begin to count the number of times I changed plans made the night before to go on a ride the next day. I assume this is common.

For me this disconnect between wishes and actions becomes clear when I begin riding to work again in early spring. On many occasions during this early season, I find an excuse not to ride, even though I prepared everything the night before. I end up sleeping in or invent the perfect excuse, "Oh, I need to stop at Lowes or Petsmart after work. I think I'd better drive."

I've analyzed this and actually came to a conclusion. My decision to ride or not is based on my physical conditioning at the time. My commute is about 50 miles round trip. So, it's not exactly a breeze. Therefore, early in the year, when I am still somewhat rusty and the 50 miles feels like a 100, I bail out. Once I've done it a few dozen times however, I suddenly spring out of bed and find excuses to ride and avoid taking the car or go to Lowes.

So, to sum it up---the more you ride the more you'll like it and find yourself on the bike. Getting there takes time though.
Old 04-03-16, 06:58 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news that you got some good time on the bike. That builds confidence. Keep it up and your skills will build.
Old 04-07-16, 11:30 AM
americanrecluse

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds so much like my own experience that I'm just going to tell you what I'm doing / have done.

We have almost the same bike - I have the 7.3!

At first I would ride only in a big ole flat parking lot. Big boring circles. I tried to "challenge" myself by making tighter circles (even though it felt like the only way to keep from falling off was to take basically half a city block to turn around), or by riding through some metal signposts in the parking lot. The posts were about 6-8 feet apart, so riding through them was a triumph!

Then I did a ride that I knew was too challenging for me. And my fear caused me to crash, screw up my already royally screwed knee, which led to knee replacement surgery and a year off the bike, which brings us to this year.

Needless to say, the fall and the surgery and such did nothing for my confidence (or competence, for that matter!). Because I have genuine no-**** crippling anxiety, I have a prescription for low dose Xanax to take as needed. So I would take half of one before getting on the bike.

I started out turning circles in a smaller parking lot (the big ole lot got a big ole fence and the gate was kept locked), then found a bike path nearby that is paved and wide. I would go at like 7:00 on Saturday morning, in order to avoid people wandering their wandering loops along the bike path. Riding that three mile loop was amazing, just the best. Because it was a "real" ride, unlike the parking lot, and because I succeeded. I did that three mile loop for several weeks before dropping the Xanax. I've now rented a bike locker at the subway station, which is only a mile and a half away but on a very busy street, so there are days I'm nauseated by fear. On the weekends my fella and I have mini-adventures - we ride to breakfast, or we explore bike paths (and then have breakfast! breakfast is life!), and it's our little tradition that we both look forward to.

I just checked my Road Bike, which is the app that I use to track many of my rides (I'm too lazy to turn it on for the short subway trips), and I started riding again at the end of January. My longest ride thus far has only been about 10-11 miles, but we regularly do 9 on the weekend rides.

I'm able to do it because I want to do it - because it's important to me. It sounds like you want to do it too. I'm rooting for you!
Old 03-02-21, 04:24 AM
katytron

Bikes: trek 7.2 fx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in case anyone comes by this post, I just wanted to give an update. I bought a very basic e-bike in 2019 and ever since I have ridden at least 3-4 times a week, often in tremendously busy city traffic. It's always an absolute pleasure. I look for excuses to ride every day, except for when it was in the shop getting repaired after a big crash, which was scary but ultimately fine. If you're reading this and thinking about an e-bike but are scared because you're intimidated by riding a regular push bike, know that once I took a 30 minute test ride I was absolutely hooked, and that you can do it!
Old 03-02-21, 07:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Nice update! Cycling isn't a good fit for everyone and ebikes are definitely a fun alternative way to get outdoors.