Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I polished my pawls!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I polished my pawls!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 07:25 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I polished my pawls!

After disassembling and cleaning my new* Bitex RAR12 rear hub I noticed some shiny wear spots on the pawls and the idea hit me... use some metal polish (carefully) on the pawls and other mating surfaces on the freehub using a Dremel tool and a felt tip. I removed the pawls and springs and got to work. I was very careful not to get any metal polish in/on the bearings. The pawls are now have an almost mirror finish. I applied the same treatment to the track that the C ring and seal rides in using twine soaked in the metal polish. I cleaned everything off thoroughly with a rag and rubbing alcoholI and applied a *light* coat (I've made that mistake before if you know what I mean) of Park's poly lube grease.

The hub free rides better than ever. The hub is so smooth that I even tried removing half the pawls (there are six) after a recommendation by someone on the forum and didn't notice a difference in the resistance when freeriding. In other words, the resistance is dominated by something else (likely the four cartridge bearings and/or grease drag). I put all six of the pawls back in went for a ride and had to report back.

So, if your pawls are dirty or rough, give 'em a nice polish and be amazed at the difference.

(btw, i'm quite proud of that eye catching and immature title )

*yes, I'm that much of a geek that I have to disassemble new gear to see how it works
Likes For Symox:
Old 03-10-21, 10:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I knew a guy when I was a kid that was a machinist. He took a big deep sea fishing reel he just bought and put valve lapping compound on the gears and ran it for a good long bit. It was probably the smoothest running action on a fishing reel I've ever experienced.

Don't know how many more fish were caught because of that. Nor do I know how much better your cycling will be. Pawls are only needed when you are coasting. Don't coast so much!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-10-21, 10:55 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
By polishing the pawls does this diminish the strength of engagement when in drive mode?

Just curious.
Old 03-10-21, 11:04 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by masi61
By polishing the pawls does this diminish the strength of engagement when in drive mode?

Just curious.
I doubt it. Plus I avoided that contact point
Likes For Symox:
Old 03-10-21, 11:17 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
tmi

Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-10-21, 01:47 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
You will without a doubt have a quicker failure of the freehub. The pawls aren't tarnished - they have a coating on them to help with long term wear and you have removed it making them softer. That freehub has 6 pawls that are timed in 2 groups by removing 3 you've doubled the engagement time and considering how quickly those pawls wear anyway you have most likely effectively cut the lifetime of that freehub in half.

Just an FYI.

Old 03-10-21, 01:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
^^^ Well, sure, but other than that, sweet job!

Old 03-10-21, 03:42 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
You will without a doubt have a quicker failure of the freehub. The pawls aren't tarnished - they have a coating on them to help with long term wear and you have removed it making them softer. That freehub has 6 pawls that are timed in 2 groups by removing 3 you've doubled the engagement time and considering how quickly those pawls wear anyway you have most likely effectively cut the lifetime of that freehub in half.

Just an FYI.
Debbie DOwner
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-10-21, 04:09 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
didn't notice a difference in the resistance when freeriding. In other words, the resistance is dominated by something else
Hub drag is pretty trivial; lots of folks way overestimate its effect.

I think it's either directly proportional or proportional to the square of speed, while air drag starts off much bigger and rises with the cube of speed. But even leaving that aside, the way some peeps talk about hub drag, it's like they haven't even considered the leverage the tyre has over it.

The only reason I'd be mucking around like this is trying to make the ratchet quieter.
Old 03-10-21, 04:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
That freehub has 6 pawls that are timed in 2 groups by removing 3 you've doubled the engagement time and considering how quickly those pawls wear anyway you have most likely effectively cut the lifetime of that freehub in half.
The OP did reinstall them and so is back to six pawls.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-10-21, 04:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Kimmo
The only reason I'd be mucking around like this is trying to make the ratchet quieter.
I thought the whole point is to make the ratcheting louder in lieu of using a bell or calling out to people?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-10-21, 05:06 PM
Symox

Just an FYI.
I didn’t remove metal. I polished them

You seem to know a lot about the coating, care to share its thickness?
Old 03-10-21, 05:29 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I thought the whole point is to make the ratcheting louder in lieu of using a bell or calling out to people?
A quiet ratchet is a minor one of the many reasons I consider Shimano freehubs far superior to the rest.
Old 03-10-21, 07:02 PM
Symox

A quiet ratchet is a minor one of the many reasons I consider Shimano freehubs far superior to the rest.
Shimano does make excellent hubs, I have several. However, not having to tweak the cone tightness is a real benefit to me of the cartridge style bearing hubs. If it’s well made there is really little maintenance.

one benefit I see to the Shimano design is that the bearings carrying the weight are at the extremes of the hub - much like an external bottom bracket.

if I’m not mistaken, the four cartridge bearing style that Bitex uses has the weight bearing bearing close to the freehub to hub interface. (There are two bearings in the hub body and two in the freehub body. ). Someone please correct me if wrong

Last edited by Symox; 03-10-21 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 07:11 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
...while air drag starts off much bigger and rises with the cube of speed.
Sure that isn't speed to the fifth power?
Old 03-10-21, 07:26 PM
Symox

Just an FYI.
Just an FYI, but you might not want to brush your teeth as you will without a doubt remove the enamel and ruin your teeth.
Old 03-10-21, 08:41 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Just an FYI, but you might not want to brush your teeth as you will without a doubt remove the enamel and ruin your teeth.
That's exactly why I don't use abrasive whitening toothpastes and don't have the hygienist polish my teeth after a cleaning. It serves no purpose other than customer satisfaction (the teeth feel so smooooth), and does take a tiny amount of enamel off. So, like the advice given about the pawls, it's a good idea not to needlessly remove the protective enamel from your teeth.

As for:
Originally Posted by psimet2001

Just an FYI.
I have no idea what the finish is or how thick that he referred to, but I do know that some anodizing and other treatments on metal are very, very thin and, if removed, can leave the metal much more susceptible to wear, oxidation and other things that they were designed to protect against. I for one appreciate his comment, lest I would be tempted, on a slow, winter, pandemic day to take on such a project.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-10-21 at 08:45 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-10-21, 08:44 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Shimano does make excellent hubs, I have several. However, not having to tweak the cone tightness is a real benefit to me of the cartridge style bearing hubs. If it’s well made there is really little maintenance.

one benefit I see to the Shimano design is that the bearings carrying the weight are at the extremes of the hub - much like an external bottom bracket.

if I’m not mistaken, the four cartridge bearing style that Bitex uses has the weight bearing bearing close to the freehub to hub interface. (There are two bearings in the hub body and two in the freehub body. ). Someone please correct me if wrong
This is true. Many modern hubs even have the right hand bearing behind the spokes. Its worse than an old school screw on cassette style hub, and needs a VERY strong axle for it to not bend. Im betting this issue is partially the reason for the new through axle standards. - the TA also supports the hollow hub axle besides holding the wheel in place. I would think twice before getting a weight weenie TA.

Imo a QR shimano hub with the bearings in the ends is far better.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 03-10-21, 08:49 PM
Racing Dan

Just an FYI.
Im certain the pawls are hardened all the way through. I wouldnt worry about it. I wouldnt remove half the pawls tho.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 03-10-21, 09:18 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

not having to tweak the cone tightness is a real benefit to me of the cartridge style bearing hubs
IMO, losing the means of preload adjustment is too high a price to pay for not having to do preload adjustment.

Cartridge bearing hubs with preload adjustment (and decent sealing) are rarer than rocking-horse poo.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 03-10-21, 09:29 PM
Racing Dan

Hub drag is pretty trivial; lots of folks way overestimate its effect.

I think it's either directly proportional or proportional to the square of speed, while air drag starts off much bigger and rises with the cube of speed. But even leaving that aside, the way some peeps talk about hub drag, it's like they haven't even considered the leverage the tyre has over it.

This isnt strictly true. Its the power to overcome "air drag" that rises with the cube of the speed. The drag itself rises by the square of the speed.
Old 03-11-21, 01:01 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Totally happy for my dribble shot from the hip to be corrected
Old 03-11-21, 04:51 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Glad to see others have the same idea! My Campy Bora One wheels can wake the dead but coasting up behind people they hear it quite well!
Old 03-11-21, 05:40 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by waters60
Glad to see others have the same idea! My Campy Bora One wheels can wake the dead but coasting up behind people they hear it quite well!
Two weeks ago I passed another cyclist going the other direction on a local bike path, and his freehub sounded like a miniature minigun; it was the loudest freehub that I have ever heard. Judging by the frequency of the ratcheting -- I am referring to the period between each ratchet rather than the pitch here -- it also sounded like it may have a relatively high number of pawls, hence the minigun reference. He passed me before I could ask about his wheels. Maybe he has the same wheels as you do? For reference, I have two sets of Mavic wheels (Aksium, Kysrium Elite) so that is the freehub volume that I am used to. I have heard that Shimano freehubs are quieter.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 03-11-21 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-11-21, 07:42 AM
Symox

Two weeks ago I passed another cyclist going the other direction on a local bike path, and his freehub sounded like a miniature minigun; it was the loudest freehub that I have ever heard. Judging by the frequency of the ratcheting -- I am referring to the period between each ratchet rather than the pitch here -- it also sounded like it may have a relatively high number of pawls, hence the minigun reference. He passed me before I could ask about his wheels. Maybe he has the same wheels as you do? For reference, I have two sets of Mavic wheels (Aksium, Kysrium Elite) so that is the freehub volume that I am used to. I have heard that Shimano freehubs are quieter.
The Bitex hubs aren’t obnoxiously loud. I think it quieted a bit after I polished. I do
like using them to make recent COVID walkers in the middle of the neighborhood streets know I’m coming (or scare them when I pass)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.