Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 03:47 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Worked the dent in the top tube of my Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller with a set of Paragon Machineworks tube blocks. They referred me to Ceeway bike building supplies in the UK as shipping from there was a lot cheaper.

Worked pretty well but I will try again next week when my vice comes in to put some actual clamping force on there.
Next time take the paint off first. It's coming off anyway.

If you have a clean shiny greased metal surface the blocks work MUCH better.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 03-13-21, 08:12 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Slowly working on the overhaul of one of the Colnagos from last weekend. It's cleaned up well. It was a frankenbike of components so Roger M helped with a few bits to make it consistent. Cleaned and polished it last night and started putting it back together.

Likes For scozim:
Old 03-13-21, 09:58 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Building a couple of wheels this morning.

Old 03-14-21, 05:48 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Adjusting all my Cateye computers an hour forward.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 03-15-21, 07:12 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 416 Posts
Overhaul on son in law's GT Rage.
Shimano 105, polished aluminum.

Old 03-15-21, 12:28 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts

Ready to build. Was planning to use v-brakes (and even bought new levers) but the post spacing on the front fork is so narrow that I fear I will be forced to stick with cantis.
Old 03-15-21, 04:50 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
I got a sort of beat up Cinelli 1R stem to gut it for the small parts.

Old 03-17-21, 07:36 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
A bit of work on my Ross 294S. Cold set and realigned the rear, went from bar end to DT shifters (both 8 sp), added a spacer to the bb for better chainline, made some mudflaps. I think it’s about done.
Old 03-17-21, 07:03 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Liberia "clunker" rehab

It started with this post.

Since this Liberia is a cool frame and in my size neighborhood I knew I wanted to do something with it but didn't know what. I'm not a "restorer" of bikes so stripping, painting, new decals, etc. wasn't in the cards - besides, I like patina Ultimately I wanted to make this an errand/rail trail/ lunch ride bike so I decided to give myself a "clunker challenge" and use parts I hopefully had already.

I got lucky with the bottom bracket. The cottered cranks had to go but I knew I didn't want to blow the budget on a square tapered conversion kit.so I messed around with some spindles at a bike co-op and found one that fit perfectly. From there the dominos started to fall: a Sugino crankset, Tech 500 (Falcon) RD, Shimano FD (only one I had that fit the seat tube), ornate Rigida wheels, Maillard 5sp freewheel, Weinmann brake levers, wear-appropriate Avocet saddle and reflectors were yanked from the shelf or other parts bikes. The Huret DT shifter was also from the co-op. I already had some universal shifter cables so I could use it as well as some black bar tape. The new dummy-cut-it-too-short chain from another project was used here with a pair of master links (at least I had the sense to keep the extra links!). Mafac Racer brakes were already on the bike but I took them apart and gave them a cleaning. I did have to purchase some wire-beaded tires for the straight-walled rims and new brake hoods but I ended up having enough left over in the budget to buy some Kool Stop salmon brake pads to replace the original (worn) Mafac pads.

I had a lot of fun with the rehab especially knowing I literally saved this cool bike from the dump. I'm looking forward to starting its new life this weekend.

Before:

After:

Last edited by HMJ; 03-18-21 at 11:40 AM. Reason: derailleur detail
Likes For HMJ:
Old 03-18-21, 09:06 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
No projects at the moment, so I’ve been collecting and organizing my tools and parts cabinets.

Old 03-18-21, 09:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
It started with this post.

Since this Liberia is a cool frame and in my size neighborhood I knew I wanted to do something with it but didn't know what. I'm not a "restorer" of bikes so stripping, painting, new decals, etc. wasn't in the cards - besides, I like patina Ultimately I wanted to make this an errand/rail trail/ lunch ride bike so I decided to give myself a "clunker challenge" and use parts I hopefully had already.

I got lucky with the bottom bracket. The cottered cranks had to go but I knew I didn't want to blow the budget on a square tapered conversion kit.so I messed around with some spindles at a bike co-op and found one that fit perfectly. From there the dominos started to fall: a Sugino crankset, Tech 500 (Falcon) RD (only one I had that fit the seat tube), Shimano FD, ornate Rigida wheels, Maillard 5sp freewheel, Weinmann brake levers, wear-appropriate Avocet saddle and reflectors were yanked from the shelf or other parts bikes. The Huret DT shifter was also from the co-op. I already had some universal shifter cables so I could use it as well as some black bar tape. The new dummy-cut-it-too-short chain from another project was used here with a pair of master links (at least I had the sense to keep the extra links!). Mafac Racer brakes were already on the bike but I took them apart and gave them a cleaning. I did have to purchase some wire-beaded tires for the straight-walled rims and new brake hoods but I ended up having enough left over in the budget to buy some Kool Stop salmon brake pads to replace the original (worn) Mafac pads.

I had a lot of fun with the rehab especially knowing I literally saved this cool bike from the dump. I'm looking forward to starting its new life this weekend.

Before:
snip . . .

After:
Very nice. I did something similar to an early 70s Peugeot UE8. The bike comes stock with a cottered crank but I managed to make a cotterless spindle work with the existing cups.

Also French threaded bottom brackets are not expensive. You can pick up a set from Amazon for $14:

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Bottom...6081238&sr=8-1

Last edited by bikemig; 03-18-21 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-18-21, 11:43 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
thanks!

Originally Posted by bikemig
Very nice. I did something similar to an early 70s Peugeot UE8. The bike comes stock with a cottered crank but I managed to make a cotterless spindle work with the exiting cups.

Also French threaded bottom brackets are not expensive. You can pick up a set from Amazon for $14:

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Bottom...6081238&sr=8-1
Thanks much for the tip! That might come in handy with another French bike I have in the long term queue.
Old 03-18-21, 12:22 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Not bike related, My 50-gallon water heater gave out and I got quotes of 1800.00 to 2600.00 depending on the model to install a new one.
Big box store and done for under 800.00 and 1/2 day work.

Curbside pick-up next week...and while I support my local businesses....I felt in this instance I could use the support.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 03-18-21, 01:09 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I would like to give a shout out for the premier vintage bike shop and repair in King Co., Wright Bros. I had Charles chase the bbs on a couple of elders. Soon I will have the Peugeot available for cruising. Unfortunately I'm running into issue pulling the freewheel off Normandy/Mavic sewups, so I'm going to have to use some back up clinchers.

Here is the before shot on the fence at Bikeworks, it's cleaned up very well but the front derailleur is frozen. Bummer cause the body is not cracked like most are these days.
Old 03-19-21, 12:19 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
While I wait for stocks to replenish a bit I did some test fitting on the 1992 Koga-Miyata Traveller I picked up yesterday.

While the 1993 WorldTraveller gets the full rando treatment with some cool parts I just wanted to turn this one into a cheap gravelgrinder/xBike. So with as little parts as possible and with wider tyres. Just a fun throw-it-around bike. Probably a 10-speed Microshift group or a 2x11 friction setup.
It will need different rims but that shouldn't run all that expensive, especially if I can somehow reuse the spokes.

Still needs cleaning though.

First impressions are that it will easily fit 42mm tyres which should make for some interesting riding.

Old 03-22-21, 12:44 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Whaaa

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Not bike related, My 50-gallon water heater gave out and I got quotes of 1800.00 to 2600.00 depending on the model to install a new one.
Big box store and done for under 800.00 and 1/2 day work.

Curbside pick-up next week...and while I support my local businesses....I felt in this instance I could use the support.
Best, Ben
where is that , about a grand labor for about 2 hours labor for a pro plumber!!!??
Old 03-22-21, 01:15 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
where is that , about a grand labor for about 2 hours labor for a pro plumber!!!??
Call around, there is a real upcharge for a hot water tank, HD "800" plumber over a grand for a 12year 50 gal up from the standard 30-40 gallon with a 6-year warranty and install around a grand...my sister had to have one done up north and she used a smaller tank with less warranty and it was 1200 plus change.
Like auto mechanics at some, dealerships where labor is 140-180 an hour (VW), there is a book rate no matter how long it takes to install anything.
It still takes more than 2 hours to do this job....but I could use the money and was able to do it myself.
I know what things cost and how to do a lot of maintenance so I usually do the work....cars with computers and a lot of plastic garbage that passes for parts are another matter.....still driving my 83 and 1990.
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 03-22-21 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-23-21, 12:36 AM
BurkinaVelo

Bikes: 1980 Trek 412, 1982 Trek 614, 1987 Peugeot Triathlon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This1981 Trek 412 (One of the Waterford bikes) from a local flipper.

@DQRider - A 1981 Trek 412 24" is my fist Trek as well and I'm really loving it! I'm trying to run Mud butler fenders as well, what is the max tire size you can fit under them? I'm hoping to run 700c x 35s. Also is that wheelset from velomine? If so how are you liking it?
Old 03-23-21, 04:41 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts

is that a heavy oil or an adhesive?
I've been using a light 3-in-1 oil.
Over this winter I build a wheelset with vintage hubs, new spokes, new nipples, new rims. Seem like the first few months of use are going fine.
I build a 2 speed kickback wheel, all new stuff. Seems OK. So far.
I re-built a front wheel to replace a rim, so re-cycled spokes. Initially I re-used the nipples, or tried to, but a few were full of some kind of heavy goop used by VELOCITY. I guess to machine build the wheel.
I road it once and had lots of clicking and couldn't get round enough (I thought), so I replaced all the nipples and used 3-in-1 oil.
Rode the wheel again about 16 miles, seemed good - took off for another longer ride and EVERYTHING came loose. No crash or anything.
- so I dropped some blue thread locker onto the nipples where the spoke enter the nipple and tightened everything back to true and round (I think). Planning to test ride today.
Wondering if I got this all screwed up....
Old 03-23-21, 05:53 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv

is that a heavy oil or an adhesive?
I've been using a light 3-in-1 oil.
Over this winter I build a wheelset with vintage hubs, new spokes, new nipples, new rims. Seem like the first few months of use are going fine.
I build a 2 speed kickback wheel, all new stuff. Seems OK. So far.
I re-built a front wheel to replace a rim, so re-cycled spokes. Initially I re-used the nipples, or tried to, but a few were full of some kind of heavy goop used by VELOCITY. I guess to machine build the wheel.
I road it once and had lots of clicking and couldn't get round enough (I thought), so I replaced all the nipples and used 3-in-1 oil.
Rode the wheel again about 16 miles, seemed good - took off for another longer ride and EVERYTHING came loose. No crash or anything.
- so I dropped some blue thread locker onto the nipples where the spoke enter the nipple and tightened everything back to true and round (I think). Planning to test ride today.
Wondering if I got this all screwed up....
That picture is a bit deceiving. The liquid you see is dried up shallac, which I used to coat white cotton bar tape.

I do use engine oil for my spokes and nipples.

Last edited by b dub; 03-23-21 at 05:57 AM.
Likes For b dub:
Old 03-23-21, 09:19 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 416 Posts
Just finished overhauling this 2000ish GT Rage for my son in law.

Likes For daverup:
Old 03-23-21, 10:47 AM
Loyd

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
1978 Fuji S10s that I got for $40. All original with a missing saddle.

Wrestling with a seized stem and should be downhill (hopefully) from there.
Old 03-23-21, 11:13 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
Dynamo lighting for the Mk I. Of course, that includes relacing the front wheel with the super-cheap Panasonic hub that Soma had on sale a month or so back. What I save there went into the BM IQ-X and Secula fender lights. I have two more bikes to similarly outfit.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 03-23-21, 01:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Dynamo lighting for the Mk I. Of course, that includes relacing the front wheel with the super-cheap Panasonic hub that Soma had on sale a month or so back. What I save there went into the BM IQ-X and Secula fender lights. I have two more bikes to similarly outfit.
Great looking, good job. I always cringe a little bit at permanently mounting things on a beautiful bike but these are integrated perfectly.

Unlike my usual setup that ends up with addonitis, camera/lights front and rear plus an extra 2 rear 1 front lights and GPS for good measure.

Do you run the lights on in the daytime?
Old 03-23-21, 01:44 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Great looking, good job. I always cringe a little bit at permanently mounting things on a beautiful bike but these are integrated perfectly.

Unlike my usual setup that ends up with addonitis, camera/lights front and rear plus an extra 2 rear 1 front lights and GPS for good measure.

Do you run the lights on in the daytime?
Not on any bike with battery lights but on the dynamo-enhanced ones I do if only so I don't have to bother with switches.

"Addonitis", that's great! I'm going to steal that one! It's blocked in the picture but it does sport a Garmin unit and I'm suspecting that radar may creep it's way in. This bike gets a lot of urban miles where I'm matching the pace of surrounding vehicles, but I think this season it will find itself on more shared country-ish roads with limited shoulders where that extra measure may be useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.