Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vista Silver Shadow Bottom Bracket

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-21, 10:52 AM
efanwick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to take my old frame from my Silver Shadow that I love and reuse the frame still in great shape. The bottom where the bottom bracket goes doesn't have threads. What kind of bottom bracket should I be looking for for this frame?
Old 03-14-21, 11:16 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Hm, odd. Do you know how the original bottom bracket was secured in place? Or don't you have original parts?

The frame looks decent quality, from information I can gather, so likely worth saving as you say.

There were a number of threadless bottom bracket systems floating around the market in the '70s and '80s, many of which employed standard diameter shells. These can often be tapped with the appropriate threading and used with a normal bottom bracket. The problem is, while many bike shops will have taps, some won't want to use them to cut new threads in a completely unthreaded bottom bracket because of the wear on their tooling. A framebuilder could also do this for you.

Another alternative is the Velo-Orange threadless bottom bracket, linked here. You should measure the shell diameter to make sure it will fit, before you commit any money, because they are a good bit more expensive than other bottom brackets of comparable quality.

That said, if you live close by the Boston area, I have a set of cheap taps and I could try to do it for you.
Old 03-14-21, 01:43 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,689 Times in 2,610 Posts
Could be an Ashtabula-style crankset?
Old 03-14-21, 08:12 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I don't think so. The Vista Silver Shadow, in all the pictures, I can find, has an ordinary 3-piece crank. Looks square-taper, but maybe it's something proprietary like old Viscounts?
Old 03-15-21, 05:57 AM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 370 Posts
I think they use the Shimano Altus/Selecta BB
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...s-selecta.html
Likes For Chuckk: