Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Presta valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 01:53 AM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Bikes: 2020 Cinelli. 1983 Miyata cycle 750 sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Presta valve

Does anyone else dislike them? I drill them out immediately. I did a brand new bike for a neighbor. Just curious, if they're so fantastic why don't you see them in all products? Ever see a presta on a well air tank?. Wheels have actually gotten wider . To each their own. My 81 miyata 750sr low end bike came with them. Cheap bike with prestas. Trying to impress buyers. Then immediately break them. I'm a schrader guy. Lol
Old 03-18-21, 03:31 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Mostly, I want consistency across my bikes. Prestas and Dunlops can be inflated with the same pump, so that’s what I’m sticking with.
I do find Prestas slightly easier to inflate with a hand pump. And should you want to play Good Samaritan, a Presta tube can replace a Schräder tube at the road side with a minimum of fuss. But overall, NBD.
Likes For dabac:
Old 03-18-21, 05:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
To each their own? Doesn’t sound like it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-18-21, 06:03 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
If I had to choose only one, I'd choose presta. The only down side to them is that cars don't use them so much of the public infrastructure doesn't support them. But from a valve and tube reliability point of view, I prefer presta.

That said, on my son's old mountain bike with Schrader valves that my wife still likes to ride, I haven't put a grommet in - I just stick with Shrader valve tubes for that bike. Kinda like how I haven't replaced all the flathead screws I use with Phillips head even though I prefer those.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 03-18-21, 06:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I've never had a problem using Presta valves but apparently some do. If you just carry Schrader tubes you'll be unable to help your cycling buds or random strangers in distress.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-18-21, 06:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
My first light weight bike had Presta (mid '70's) . Before that I hadn't seen them . I bought a Zefal frame pump to keep my tires inflated and just liked the way it worked . I have Presta on all my bikes now and prefer them to Schrader just because I don't have to flip the rubber seal over in my Zefal pump to inflate which can be a PIA on the side of the road when trying to help someone on their beach cruiser . Most road bike folks are Presta now.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-18-21, 08:30 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts
I don't mind the presta valve itself but I just can't seem to find a decently-fitting pump attachment (or pump). I have mountain bikes and not road bikes and find that all my rims are sized to fit a Schraeder. I do my own car maintenance too, so Schraeder is by far my preferred valve.
Just yesterday I was cursing a presta valve (mainly due to my inability to pump up the tire without inventing an airtight seal, which didn't work for me).

I remember never having had a problem thirty years ago back in UK with presta valves and my trusty Bluemels pump. Different times.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 03-18-21, 08:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
$1.24 for two; no drilling required.
Old 03-18-21, 09:57 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I'd prefer the simplicity of Schrader valves, but am not going to drill out rims. I use the adapters as pictured above, so I can use a compressor to top of all my tires once a week. I pump everything to 65psi now that I'm using wider tires. It's easy to bleed off a little pressure, as I plan to do on a 700x45 (Schrader valve) tire I just put on a rear hub drive ebike conversion I'm working on.

I think presta valves are supposed to lose less air, which makes sense if you are running 90 plus psi on a road bike. At lower pressures, Schraders are fine.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 03-18-21, 10:21 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
My mountain bike has a presta valve on the front wheel and a Schrader on the rear. Last time I had a flat the inner tube I had at hand was a Presta valve so that is what I used with the suitable grommet. My floor pump can do both types of valve without having to change anything. I have Presta valves on the touring bike despite the fact that the rims are drilled for schrader. Means that I can use any suitable size inner tube if I am out on tour. Schrader valves are a bit harder to inflate, especially with a frame pump. Road bikes are all Presta
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-18-21, 10:33 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
$1.24 for two; no drilling required.

Every tube I used those on required the removal of the adapter to unfasten the valve in order to fill the tube with air. If the valve was left loose, the tube would require refilling more often & sometimes during a ride.
Old 03-18-21, 10:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Kjas64
Does anyone else dislike them? I drill them out immediately. I did a brand new bike for a neighbor. Just curious, if they're so fantastic why don't you see them in all products? Ever see a presta on a well air tank?. Wheels have actually gotten wider . To each their own. My 81 miyata 750sr low end bike came with them. Cheap bike with prestas. Trying to impress buyers. Then immediately break them. I'm a schrader guy. Lol
Your definition of “low end” is vastly different from mine. From what I’ve seen of the Miyata 750 SR, it wasn’t a “low end” bike. Maybe not the highest end but certainly not the lowest end bike Miyata made. And, in my experience, low end bikes didn’t come with Presta drilled wheels.

As for Presta valves, they are an amazing bit of engineering. A Schrader valve has to be held open to put air in it. If the seal of the chuck isn’t tight, any air escaping from the valve is air coming out of the tire. I’ve seen people who can’t get the chuck sealed on a Schrader valve completely flatten a tire while trying to put air in it. In my experience at my local co-op, the vast majority of people can’t use a Schrader chuck on a compressor properly.

The Presta valve is self sealing. The valve opens when there is pressure over the pressure inside the tube and it closes when the pressure inside the tube is higher than the pressure outside. If the chuck doesn’t seal on the valve, the air in the tire doesn’t leak out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-18-21, 10:46 AM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Bikes: 2020 Cinelli. 1983 Miyata cycle 750 sr

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lots of good responses. Thanks all
Old 03-18-21, 12:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Never really had issues with Presta, put the pump head on correctly and pull it right off without wiggling or jiggling and I don't need a cap if I don't want or if I lose one. Yeah sure other stuff may not use the valve but that doesn't mean a ton. Different valves for different applications.
Old 03-18-21, 03:51 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I think presta valves are supposed to lose less air, which makes sense if you are running 90 plus psi on a road bike. At lower pressures, Schraders are fine.
Not sure about that, as air suspension forks use Schrader valves and have pressures well over 100 psi.
Old 03-18-21, 04:03 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I despise the Presta. They were invented by the devil. I have two hand pumps the purportedly work for both but they give me trouble on Prestas. I change my tubes to schrader when I have reason to change tire or tube. If the Presta work for you I have no problem with it. I just prefer all schraders. But Be Well, Bluesfrog
Old 03-18-21, 04:19 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My touring wheels, Mavic rims, have an insert in the rim's valve hole that allows the use of Presta or Schrader valves. This is a handy option on a touring bike. I also carry an adapter to use a service stations air compressor. All my Presta tubes have replaceable valve cores. This takes saves a lot of frustration.

I ran into a guy in a service station while on a tour. He was trying unsuccessfully to pump up his tire which had a Presta Valve. I just gave him my adapter, and made a friend. We actually ran into him again the next day when we were exploring Sacramento.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-18-21 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 04:27 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I don't like Presta, but it doesn't rise up to the level of caring enough to do something about it. Presta valves seem slightly more delicate. I've seen more failures where the stem joins the tube, and also, the little screw breaking off. But whatever.

My view is that it further doesn't matter because despite rare exceptions, presta and schrader valves tend to go on different kinds of bikes, and you use whichever one is on the bike when you bought it. Schrader valves tend to be found on bikes with fatter tires that are inflated to lower pressure, so the amount of air lost when attaching / detaching the valve chuck is minimal. Heck, I have an old fashioned threaded Schrader chuck on my old Silca pump, and the amount of air lost is negligible. The chuck is older than the pump.

When tires need higher pressure, or are narrower, they tend to have Presta valves anyway. Despite the drawbacks, I'd be hesitant to drill out the rims on my skinny wheel bike, so I use Presta valves and try not to damage them. Actually, a combination of a Presta-Schrader adapter, and the aforementioned threaded chuck, have pretty much eliminated all problems for me.

But still, in the final analysis, you use whatever came with the bike, and move on to more important topics like chain lubrication. Warning: There is chain lube in this picture. Avert your eyes.

Old 03-18-21, 04:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Y I’ve seen people who can’t get the chuck sealed on a Schrader valve completely flatten a tire while trying to put air in it..
My son did this on his car one day. It seemed the chuck at the Wawa gas station he stopped at was broken and was draining tires. He went inside to tell them about it and someone else did the same exact thing and a 3 car was just about to do the same thing when he came back out. He called me to being my compressor over, and I ended up filling up 3 cars. He went an bought a portable compressor for his car.

Old 03-18-21, 05:31 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
I use both these types. Both do what is needed to do.

tired of the upclose pics. cant see everything!
Old 03-18-21, 07:58 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Both seem to work equally well to me. But my casual observation has been that low-end bikes use Schrader and higher-end bikes use Presta so I'm using Presta valves, which make me feel like a real cyclist.
Likes For Random11:
Old 03-18-21, 08:04 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Both work and all good pumps do both. Both won't work well with inferior equipment.

I prefer Shrader and did all my tubeless Shrader. Shrader works to 500 psi in refrigeration. Those Presta adapters need to be tightened just a specific amount. Just another hassle.

With good equipment Shrader doesn't lose lot of air when removing the chuck. I lose more when closing that Presta screw. I'm talking about under 40 psi. I undetstand for road pressures it may be reverse.

So there is good reason for the one or other. It comes to personal preference. Like Shimano or SRAM, or mineral oil vs DOT.
Old 03-19-21, 03:03 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Even Park Tool hates presta
Old 03-19-21, 05:24 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
I've been running Presta valves for several years now and I've never really had any issues with them. I've got two double headed pumps that work just fine with them. The only thing that one needs to watch for on Presta valves is that the pump head is connected perfectly perpendicular to the valve stem otherwise it's quite easy to bend or even break the valve core.
Old 03-19-21, 07:27 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Valve cores are $1.
Indeed, and my tubes with non-replacable cores are pretty much all gone, mainly due to failing at the base of the stem. Everything works when it works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.