Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 09:24 PM
wb416

Bikes: 2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Bob - awesome shirt!
Originally Posted by Smoked
that is an awesome shirt..
Thanks... but tonight the dinosaur got me... fell about 8 ft down off the side of a bridge...

CRASH
Old 09-03-09, 01:16 AM
rumblebelly
probably has a flat

Bikes: Scattante r330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
I am just starting back to bicycling after about 15 years of complete inactivity. I am 5'5" and 236. Kind of a round little person! My problem is that I am very embarrassed to go out on my bike. I really love riding but I am afraid some creep will yell something at me or someone will laugh. And wearing bike shorts---FORGET THAT! Does anybody else feel that way or is it just me?
I know this is from awhile back and you've probably gotten more comfortable with yourself but I was worried about the same thing. I just jumped right in with full jersey/shorts/geekiness and got used to it right away. The worst that's happened to me (besides road side flats) was someone ironically yelling out of a truck "YEAH!!" with a fist out their window and laughing as they went by. And honestly I think they were the dumber between the two of us .

It gets easier!
Old 09-09-09, 05:59 PM
Robin48

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have only been cycling for 9 weeks, but I started out not caring what anyone said or thought. I am almost 50 years old, seved 13 years in the military, been shot and stabbed. I have had two heart attacks, triple bypass, I am diabetic and still need to lose 100 lbs. Who cares what some jack ass says? As long as they keep on going they are safe. I carry pepper spray for the dogs and M&P 9mm for troublemakers. Keep on riding, get healthy and don't worry about the sheeple.
Old 09-09-09, 08:33 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I volunteered as a photog on the Pelotonia ride. After seeing people bigger than me in Lycra riding 180 miles, I had no compunction anymore in wearing the stretchy stuff.

It feels better and makes my ride more comfortable. I never realized how much you can sweat in a cotton shirt until I started riding. In Lycra you dont even notice it.
Old 09-10-09, 11:06 AM
Leicester Lad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the moment I am working my way back in to cycling, and am cycling around the back-roads of North Carolina. I've sort of noticed that all cyclists get stared at (whether they are rail-thin roadies on $2000 road bikes, or tubby fellows like me trundling along on my Schwinn tourer). To be honest, with the kind of roads I'm cycling on, anyone not in a pick-up truck with a dog in the back gets stared at... Happily, I haven't been mocked by upper-class college students, yet...(although Duke is just down the road, so perhaps I should be careful!)

Squeezing myself back into lycra was totally embarrassing, but what the heck? I'm having fun and improving my fitness. There are plenty of folks around here who dress "funny" without the excuse of being an overweight cyclist to explain it away. I wear proper cycling clothes because there's no joy exercising in the North Carolina heat in a cotton T-Shirt. Sometimes I come inside after working in my yard and I can just wring the sweat out of one of those...
Old 05-23-14, 03:26 AM
angeleyes2128

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had that feeling, but I just went for it, had a great bike ride,then the following day I went again,the ride was pleasant again, until a couple of other bikers creepy up on me, scared me,they we're sarcastic and ignorant, but it won't put me off, as I need to loose weight and to that I will carry on cycling, so no more to being intimidating, just go for it.
Old 05-23-14, 06:05 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hang in there angeleyes. You have a family here that cares about you.

Charlie
Old 05-23-14, 06:17 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by angeleyes2128
I had that feeling, but I just went for it, had a great bike ride,then the following day I went again,the ride was pleasant again, until a couple of other bikers creepy up on me, scared me,they we're sarcastic and ignorant, but it won't put me off, as I need to loose weight and to that I will carry on cycling, so no more to being intimidating, just go for it.
Send those creepy, ignorant imbeciles my way. This older, short, chubby, diabetic and asthmatic rider will teach them a couple of lessons in manners.

Angeleyes, keep riding and enjoy your time on the bike. Ignore the idiots, they are not worthy of your attention.

Have fun...be safe!
Old 05-23-14, 09:02 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I didn't read the thread, since I see that it started long ago, but I think my sig says it all. If anyone jeers at you, or derides you, it is their issue, not yours. Just enjoy your ride, and ignore them. I know it isn't always easy to do, but make it your objective.

Trust me, it is even worse when someone you care about brings up the subject that you are fat in EVERY argument regardless of what the argument is about... it makes it harder to ignore, but it is still the right thing. I won't bore you with how I know, but I know.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-23-14, 02:08 PM
angeleyes2128

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you Charlie for your support, it means a lot
Old 05-23-14, 02:14 PM
Shawn Gossman
Super Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I absolutely care nothing about what others think of me so getting on a bike and riding doesn't bother me at all Then again, I can get on a stage and talk to thousands of strangers without any fear

As far as biking apparel, my friends make fun of me all the time for it... My response? Non-black colors lol, I wear some of the most colorful shorts haha... just to show people how much I don't care
Old 05-24-14, 12:26 PM
angeleyes2128

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reading everyones post gives me more confidence and motovation to get out there, thank you to you all.
Likes For angeleyes2128:
Old 05-24-14, 01:52 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Who cares**********?? Get out and enjoy................
Old 03-19-21, 02:37 PM
TrekNut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Embarrassed

I am just starting back to bicycling after about 15 years of complete inactivity. I am 5'5" and 236. Kind of a round little person! My problem is that I am very embarrassed to go out on my bike. I really love riding but I am afraid some creep will yell something at me or someone will laugh. And wearing bike shorts---FORGET THAT! Does anybody else feel that way or is it just me?
I have the same problem. But, although running is more traditional way of working out than cycling, running looks more odd for some reason. One thing that helped me was to get with a weekly group ride so you dont think about it so much. Also, I think to some degree i use this problem as an excuse not to get out. Another thing tjat has helped me is to upload my rides onto Strava, etc. It makes the ride an additional purpose of recording data for uploading to Sttava. I am considering moving out to the country where traffic is scarce.
Old 03-20-21, 09:45 AM
feejer

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
When I’m out on the trail, I always like seeing big folks out riding. They’re out doing something, not sitting on the couch or making excuses. I’m 6’4”, usually between 230-240lbs, mostly in the gut. I’m not fat per say, but not in near good enough shape. I know there are much larger people than me in much better shape, and when I see them out putting in the effort and work it’s inspiring to me. It’s a reminder that I could use more dedication to becoming healthier, just like they’re doing. Committing to a healthy lifestyle and making the permanent changes necessary for success is very hard in today’s world. My hats off to anyone who’s trying, and especially so for the above average size folks out riding. Y’all are truly motivating!
Old 03-20-21, 10:53 AM
sfazio 

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1978 Peugeot UE8, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1970 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 2012 Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 44 Posts
What other people think of you is none of your business. Don't EVER let people (especially strangers!!) dictate what you do--especially something as wonderful as cycling. I'll bet 90%+ of the people in this forum have felt what you have at one time or another, you aren't alone and for every jerk out there who might have something nasty to say there are 100 people cheering you on. Cycling keeps me fit and sane, it's the best outlet for stress I've found. Riding fast on a bike (especially one I built!) on a beautiful day is as good as it gets--don't let fear of nameless, faceless creeps take that away from you.
Likes For sfazio:
Old 04-12-21, 11:30 PM
Andyota

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Langster, 1997, 1999 and 2000 Schwinn Homegrown, a couple 1990s Mongoose IBOC MTBs.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I used to be extremely self-conscious about wearing cycling shorts and shirts that showed the rolls, but you know what? I'm making the effort to get out there. I wave and acknowledge other cyclists, and for the most part they return the favor. I just love being out there, and as my wife has said many many times, its you being you out there, no one else can say anything about that, it doesn't matter, just keep doing it. And I will keep riding and keep passing people, and keep enjoying the rush of exertion.

Never stop, NEVER.
Old 04-14-21, 07:25 PM
DaintyCalves

Bikes: Madone 6.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It really doesn't matter what other people think. You're out there for you anyways not them. I know that's easier said than done as far as how it feels but it's really the truth of it. Go out and have a great time. Whether you're doing it for fun, fitness or both it's YOUR time and YOUR life. ENJOY IT!!
Likes For DaintyCalves:
Old 04-18-21, 01:44 AM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I was 297 in December of 2019. I am 234 now I had your thoughts and feelings when I started. 6 miles home from the bus stop, I was commuting with my daughter once I went back to work in July 2020. I'm not a fan of the shorts but they help so much and you get plenty of attention from them. I wear a bright orange safety shirt when I ride for visibility, even before going head on with a car last October. Be safe when you ride. Allowing those thoughts and holding back because of them will only reinforce the thoughts and feelings. Go live life for you.
Likes For GMoser85:
Old 04-18-21, 04:37 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Just do what is sensible, and don't be concerned about what others think. If you live your life being concerned about what others think, you will probably never be happy.

I have lost over 20 kg through diet and cycling. I have probably added years to my life.

The sensible people realize that what I am doing is smart.
Old 04-20-21, 06:45 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
To those responding to the O/P...this thread is 12 years old and her most recent post was 10 years ago.

I don't think she's going to see these responses.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 05-23-21, 10:44 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Well, this is the clyde section, so I'm guessing none of us are small... I'm 5'9" and 220lbs, and round enough... I wear padded cycle shorts and over them I use a pair of thin un-padded mountain bike shorts, but any long this shorts will do, On top instead of Licra bike shirts, I wear baggy t'shirts.... it ain't pretty, but I'm 62 and can laugh at myself so really don't give a toss how others see me... I'm out there on a bike for me not others. If you want to use Licra cycle shirts, buy a size that doesn't make you look like a steam dumpling and go for brazen colors or a beer motif!! make it fun!! I have one that says "this rider needs a beer" and its yellow and orange!!

Enjoy the ride and know its helping you.

Last edited by deaninkl; 06-28-21 at 11:25 PM. Reason: too many mistakes... fat fingers
Likes For deaninkl:
Old 05-23-21, 11:01 PM
Andyota

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Langster, 1997, 1999 and 2000 Schwinn Homegrown, a couple 1990s Mongoose IBOC MTBs.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deaninkl
Well, this is the clyde section, so I'm guessing none of us are small... I'm 5'9" and 220lbs, and round enough... I wear padded cycle shorts and over them I used a pair of thin un-padded mountain bike shorts, nut any long this shorts will do, On top instead of Licra bike shorts i wear baggy t'shirts.... it ain't pretty, but I'm and can laugh at myself so really don't give a toss how others see me... I'm out there on a bike for me not others. If you want to use Licra cycle shirts, by a size that doesn't make you look like a steam dumpling and go for brazen color of a beer motif!! make it fun!! I have one that says "this rider needs a beer" and its yellow and orange!!

Enjoy the ride and know its helping you.
bingo! Last statement nails it.

1. Are you enjoying yourself?
2. Do you require anybody else’s permission to ride and enjoy yourself?
3. Regardless of how it makes you feel in the heat of the moment, does anyone else’s opinion matter at all?

I have to keep this mantra/list in the back of my head as I’m huffing through my last 5 miles, or when I’m feeling extra exposed because there are cyclists everywhere and I can “feel” the looks. It’s all about your, your zone, your ride, your health. Get it done!
Likes For Andyota:
Old 05-27-21, 07:49 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I have a jersey with cookie monster on it. The back says, "Ride Bike eat Cookie". The only thing anyone ever yelled at me was "Yeah! With Ice Cream too!!". I have had a tough year health-wise which resulted in astonishing weight loss. I have found that when you lose weight for bad reasons, people just tell you that you look great, but they don't ask if you are okay. I'm not (really).
Old 06-03-21, 01:55 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Making fun of an overweight person out exercising makes about as much sense as making fun of a homeless person at a job fair. Who cares what those idiots think? You're doing good for you, and anyone making fun of your for doing so is probably just sitting at home on the couch every day.

I admit I'm a bit self-conscious of my gut when I'm wearing a bike jersey, but hopefully I'll get it shrunk down to where it was before.
Likes For Milton Keynes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.