Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Altus vs Deore in real life differences for beginners

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 03-13-21, 02:26 PM
egeryilmaz

Bikes: Mosso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hi i'm new at bikes i have a hybrid(trekking) bike with almost full altus set it has 24 speed. i am going to upgrade it with altus-acera mixed hybrid(trekking-touring) 27 speed bike or same type full deore set 30 speed bike. but between them they have much difference with the price. what i want to ask will it really worth? if it is i can spend but i need to hear real life opinions from experienced riders. please help me i'm new at it. besides that i can't change constantly my bike it will stay with me for a long time.

thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 03-13-21, 02:36 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by egeryilmaz
hi i'm new at bikes i have a hybrid(trekking) bike with almost full altus set it has 24 speed. i am going to upgrade it with altus-acera mixed hybrid(trekking-touring) 27 speed bike or same type full deore set 30 speed bike. but between them they have much difference with the price. what i want to ask will it really worth? if it is i can spend but i need to hear real life opinions from experienced riders. please help me i'm new at it. besides that i can't change constantly my bike it will stay with me for a long time.

thanks in advance for all your help.
IMO, there’s not enough difference to be worth doing that change solely for the purpose of upgrading. 3x8 should let you find a cassette that gives you a useful range/ratio combo w/o further upgrades.
However, if things are worn, it’s not entirely financially stupid to replace-with-better.
I’m not sure I’d want to go to 3x10 though.
10-speed stuff wear out noticeably faster.
I’d stay at 3x9 or possibly 2x10. For my riding, those give me the range/ratio mix I’m happy with.
Likes For dabac:
Old 03-13-21, 03:02 PM
egeryilmaz

Bikes: Mosso

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for sharing opinion
crankset: ACERA FC-T3010-48/36/26TX175L crankset: DEORE FC-T6010-48/36/26TX175L
cassette: SHIMANO CS-HG200-9-11/34T cassette: DEORE CS-HG500-10-11/34T
shift lever: ALTUS ST-EF505 9X3 shift lever: DEORE SL-T6000 10X3
rear derailleur: ALTUS RD-M370-L rear derailleur: DEORE RD-T6000
front derailleur: ALTUS FD-M371 front derailleur: DEORE FD-T6000

i should have give these informations i think. if you have any suggestions i am ready to listen i'm starting my riding adventure and i want be educated. these differences worth the spend much money?
Likes For egeryilmaz:
Old 03-13-21, 03:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The stuff you have is a little heavier and has more paint and steel and castings, less plating and aluminum and forgings. It won’t last as long, in theory, though heavy use and outdoor storage would be needed to really use it up or rust it. The project is bigger than you imagine, with parts you don’t have listed and special tools to do the work. Leave it alone, go ride.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-13-21, 06:52 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The stuff you have is a little heavier and has more paint and steel and castings, less plating and aluminum and forgings. It won’t last as long, in theory, though heavy use and outdoor storage would be needed to really use it up or rust it. The project is bigger than you imagine, with parts you don’t have listed and special tools to do the work. Leave it alone, go ride.
the current 7 speed rear wheel may or may not be upgradable beyond 7 speeds.
Likes For dr1445:
Old 03-13-21, 11:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by dr1445
the current 7 speed rear wheel may or may not be upgradable beyond 7 speeds.
7 is not among the factors of 24. I was thinking of the bottom bracket for the hollow spindle, brake levers (T6000 brakes are probably hydraulic disc, haven’t looked), chain, and likely small parts. Tools for both styles of crank and BB, cassette socket and chain whip, cable tools, I’m sure I could come up with more stuff.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-14-21, 05:34 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
7 is not among the factors of 24. I was thinking of the bottom bracket for the hollow spindle, brake levers (T6000 brakes are probably hydraulic disc, haven’t looked), chain, and likely small parts. Tools for both styles of crank and BB, cassette socket and chain whip, cable tools, I’m sure I could come up with more stuff.
my error, yes it is 24, the ancient brain has been slipping in recent years. currently i am giving 1 x 10 a try due to recent recent knee surgery. i went with a ztto group set for $130, it all looks good and works ok but for how long? groupset = crank& bb, shifter, cassette, chain, derailleur and hanger.
Likes For dr1445:
Old 03-24-21, 04:17 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by dr1445
i went with a ztto group set for $130, it all looks good and works ok but for how long? groupset = crank& bb, shifter, cassette, chain, derailleur and hanger.
I tried a ZTTO cassette last year, never again. It worked alright at the beginning, but it seemed to be made of cheese - it was not only skipping, but also very visibly worn after just 1K miles, not to mention the shifting was horrid at that point too. Can't comment on their other components, but given this experience I'll stay away form anything they make.

Regarding the OP - Deore components do work noticeably better then Altus/Acera (look nicer too which may or may not be of importance), and in my experience are also more durable (although when adding the costs over a period of a time, the result may be the same). Is this a reason to pay significantly more upfront? Maybe, or maybe not. Upgrade as you replace is a decent strategy, but it won't really work when upgrading from 8-speed to 10 speed components, as they are not compatible.
Old 03-26-21, 11:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
My hybrid was a "generic" 3X8 with the 11-32 cassette and 28-38-48 cranks.
Now way would I ever justify a gear higher than 48-14 and lower than 38-27 for that bike's purpose.
I changed the cranks to a 22-32-44 and a 12-23 or 13-25 cassette depending on my fitness level.
Lot's of nice closely spaced gears that work very well with minor slope/head wind changes.

The "A" stuff will function adequately.
IF you are changing hubs, go to a mid Deore level. Shimano's bottom end hubs don't have polished cones and my RM-30 hubs tend to eat DS cones. (oxide finish)
I mad the mistake of building 3 wheels with that hub, thinking even a cheap Shimano should be good enough. Not if you use it much.