Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Chain question

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Chain question

Old 03-30-19, 09:24 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Chain question

I know that I ask a lot of questions, but you guys are the one's with the answers and experience.

As gearing goes up, chains seem to be getting narrower by necessity. As I'm looking at bikes with1x11 speed and 1x12 speed drivetrains, I'm wondering if durability and dependability diminishes too much as the numbers change. Specifically, does the SRAM Eagle 1x12 chain hold up as well as a Shimano 1x11? Has anyone had problems with it? Am I over- thinking this???
Old 03-31-19, 03:21 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
I never liked it when they went from five to six cogs. I have always believed that the more cogs the shorter the life of the chain. I am sure there is a better technical answer to your question but I have a belt on a Rohloff hub. I got older and lazier as my son puts it. I require him to maintain his drive train.
Old 03-31-19, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Metal working..

It has made more of a challenge as the "speeds " count marketing ramped up as the chains have to be thinner
cassette cogs not any thinner, so chain side plates were made rhinner , But ..

In making the chains perform, shifting easier , the bushing flange is now formed ..
by (Hot?) punching the holes in the inner link side plate sheet,
so it has to last less time, being thinner..
Old 03-31-19, 12:46 PM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Over thinking
Old 04-01-19, 08:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Overt thinking.
Old 04-01-19, 09:07 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In terms of how long it lasts for what it costs, the chain is one of the cheapest parts of a bicycle. So it's definitely overthinking.

Well, except maybe for brand new stuff like SRAM AXS. You basically have one $70 chain to choose from. I'm not an early adopter, so I'll be on 11-speed for a long, long time.
Old 04-01-19, 09:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I think you are overthinking this. If you ask this question on the "general" or "bicycle mechanics" forums you will probably get 10 pages of people arguing this to death, but the practical reality is that if there is a difference, it is not worth choosing a drive-train speed over.

What I would consider though, is how much the chains for your drivetrain cost. Because no matter what, you should be replacing them periodically to save the stupid expensive cassette you buy
Old 04-02-19, 12:34 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Overthinking? Maybe, depends on your perspective. Im a roadie that got lost in the MTB section. I have had the same thoughts, but I have come to look at it from a cost perspective. Maybe my Tiagra 10s drive train is not as durable as Ultegra, i dunno, but it sure is much, much cheaper replacing parts. Im betting staying with 10s or 11s vs 12s in MTB is the same. 12s is, im sure, plenty durable, but a new cassette or chain is far more expensive than 11s or 10s.
Old 03-27-21, 08:01 AM
racerken

Bikes: Cervelo RS 2011, Cube Stereo 140, Cube Cross Race Pro C62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm posting this question here because it's a chain topic. If I'm doing something bad, i.e., you're not supposed to post in someone elses posts... just tell me. I'm new here.

I'm replacing a chain for my neighbors Santa Cruz with an SRAM Guide 12 speed setup. I just don't know what to order as a replacement. When I go to SRAM website, Eagle ---- a ton of chains ranging from 32 to 90 euros!!! So then I try to further identify it with the link stamps: 'Eagle' '488'. I also get nothing. When I check Bike24, I get this... SRAM XX1 Eagle Chain 12-speed - copper but it costs 60 euro!! nothing else is in stock due to covid. Any advice? Is it more chain that is needed or is this the best chain for the buck or.... Thanks!!!
Old 03-27-21, 09:32 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Originally Posted by racerken
I'm posting this question here because it's a chain topic. If I'm doing something bad, i.e., you're not supposed to post in someone elses posts... just tell me. I'm new here.

I'm replacing a chain for my neighbors Santa Cruz with an SRAM Guide 12 speed setup. I just don't know what to order as a replacement. When I go to SRAM website, Eagle ---- a ton of chains ranging from 32 to 90 euros!!! So then I try to further identify it with the link stamps: 'Eagle' '488'. I also get nothing. When I check Bike24, I get this... SRAM XX1 Eagle Chain 12-speed - copper but it costs 60 euro!! nothing else is in stock due to covid. Any advice? Is it more chain that is needed or is this the best chain for the buck or.... Thanks!!!
Here is food for thought...
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/can-i-a...hanks.1085760/

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-27-21, 01:02 PM
racerken

Bikes: Cervelo RS 2011, Cube Stereo 140, Cube Cross Race Pro C62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Here is food for thought...
the mtbr post...

John
Analysis Paralysis! In my world, we laugh at people that discuss, 'What's the best motor oil'. Enough said. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm just sticking with SRAM because that's what defines the geometry of all mating surfaces... But kinda sad, I can't go with a lower cost... FYI, a surface finish with whatever finish has its benefits but I believe in this biking world, ..... why not pull the chain off, say every x 100 km and just clean/lube it.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-21, 02:10 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
A lot of things are becoming more light weight, which is ideal for people in racing.

It also makes more money for the manufacturers, as they sell more.

When I was young, I had the same chain and sprockets on a bike for many years, and they never needed changing. With modern bikes, they wear out, and need to be replaced. I prefer the tough parts like in the old days.
Likes For alo:
Old 03-27-21, 11:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Analysis Paralysis! In my world, we laugh at people that discuss, 'What's the best motor oil'. Enough said. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm just sticking with SRAM because that's what defines the geometry of all mating surfaces... But kinda sad, I can't go with a lower cost... FYI, a surface finish with whatever finish has its benefits but I believe in this biking world, ..... why not pull the chain off, say every x 100 km and just clean/lube it.

Thanks!
I obviously didn’t read all the responses, but there was one pretty early on that summed it up quite well. Of the 4 SRAM chains, you choose based on the environment (corrosion) and whether a chain gets worn out (stretched) from use or owner abused (bad shifting, breaking, etc.) to where it needs to be replaced.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-28-21, 07:02 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts

Next time start a new thread as this one is two years old. Any SRAM 12 speed chain will work. As you have discovered there are limited options currently.