Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Ti Bike Did You Buy and Why? Happy or Not?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which Ti Bike Did You Buy and Why? Happy or Not?

Old 01-28-21, 05:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I ride a Merlin (before Litespeed bought them) from 2001. 20 years later and a few group updates I still ride it regularly. Super bike and I would be very sad if something happened to it. Probably weighs 18 pounds, maybe a little less when i put my climbing wheelset on it. It is a magic carpet ride and I always come home with a smile on my face, shaking my head and thinking that this thing is still the cat's meow. No, not as light weight as my carbon bike, not as stiff, but super handling and all day comfort. 20 years old frame and strong and very durable. I say to the OP, get one and you will be happy. Not knowing what the budget is, it is hard to advise. Lynskey would be a good choice and they are pretty well priced. If you can drop a lot of money, Moots RSL is very nice too.
+1. Still loving and riding my Cyrene, ca. 2003.
FWIW, I don't think Litespeed bought Merlin, rather ABG bought both Litespeed and Merlin. Merlin was owned by Saucony for a little while. Regardless, I think for the most part that the same workers and factory were making the bikes so don't really care about the owner.

As to a reason, or factors that went into decision.. probably some would say irrational or misguided. 1) Wanted a standard geometry road bike. 2) wanted a bike that would be 'forever'. 3) Aluminum was stiff and harsh. 4) Steel rusted. 5) Carbon would break if you even just breathed too hard.
Old 01-28-21, 11:14 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
Bianchi Ti Mega Tube. I bought it because it's a Bianchi and very unique. I love it.

i got one as well.....

thing is a rocket...
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 01-30-21, 03:13 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jadocs
Man...I really really like this.
Yeah. Me too. I went to the Firefly website and looked at ALL the pictures. I couldn't find this one, though. It looks like an old rusty bike. I want to get on it and kick some ass.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 01-30-21, 05:18 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I bought a Bearclaw Thunderhawk for my fiancee, because she asked for a bike capable of riding gravel roads, and a YouTube channel I enjoy (Path Less Pedaled) gave a favorable review. From her evaluation (she loves it), the bike is fabulous at eliminating the vibration and carpal tunnel irritation generated by non paved surfaces. I realize that this thread is in the road bike forum, but forest service gravel roads are still roads. If I change the front chain ring and chain to go from 32T to 42T in front, and pump the tires to 40+ pounds, she can ride on flat pavement, though we haven't done that yet, because she has a nice paved road bike (carbon).
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 01-31-21, 06:23 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Cross-posting from another thread (thought I was posting to this one):

I got my titanium Mosaic RT-1 after seeing one and thinking it was beautiful. Seriously, that is an underrated reason. I still get admiration all the time on the road, and it's 7 years old. (See below.)

I have a 2011 Cervelo R3, which I loved, but the Mosaic is more comfortable. However, this may be primarily because I can fit 25s on the Mosaic, but only 23s on the Cervelo.

Likes For profjmb:
Old 02-02-21, 08:22 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Yeah. Me too. I went to the Firefly website and looked at ALL the pictures. I couldn't find this one, though. It looks like an old rusty bike. I want to get on it and kick some ass.
FYI, you can see more of this bike at the owner's website
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-03-21, 10:38 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts

I purchased my Merlin in 1993 and finally swapped out the old 8 Campy Chorus for new 12 speed. I love this bike. It carried me over 8000 miles since I dusted it off last February and started riding again after a long hiatus. I was fitted for the bike by Tom Kellog who consulted with Merlin. Long top tube seems well suited for me. Recently sat on a friend’s Linskey and felt squished. I’ve never straddled a modern carbon bike or ridden any other modern road bike so really can’t provide a reliable comparison. I just love climbing aboard the Merlin and going. And I think it looks great!

And why did I buy it? My only other bike was a Reynolds steel, custom, 5 speed with down tube shifters, designed with a higher bottom bracket for criteriums. I wanted shifters on the brakes, a slightly larger frame and was lured by the longevity titanium offered. Nearly 28 years and many miles later.....

Last edited by jleeg; 02-03-21 at 10:48 PM.
Likes For jleeg:
Old 02-04-21, 09:17 PM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

My IF custom factory lightweight. Very responsive bike.
Old 02-04-21, 09:20 PM
la rosa 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
^^^^ sorry for poor pic quality
Old 02-05-21, 01:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by la rosa
^^^^ sorry for poor pic quality
Please give us a better picture, that poor IF needs some love. It might be a really great looking bike under there I mean it is ti and has campanoglios.
Here is some help:
https://cyclingtips.com/2015/11/how-...-of-your-bike/
Old 02-05-21, 08:35 PM
la rosa 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thank u for the tips veganbikes
Likes For la rosa:
Old 03-31-21, 10:17 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts

Bought a Basso recently, i think made by Litespeed. I just road a couple times, still need dial in on seat , stem etc. First impressions are good , fit seems good and I like no TOE overlap, that's a pet peeve of mine , even though I know it tipically never comes into play, if you ride in the city and taking a few tight turns it can come into play. I sold both bikes i had that had toe overlap.

Last edited by rossiny; 03-31-21 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 10:32 AM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Ive nothing of value to add to the OP except to say, personally, I think its criminal to paint titanium frames: that raw titanium look is part of the beauty of owning a ti frame.
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 03-31-21, 12:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny

Bought a Basso recently, i think made by Litespeed. I just road a couple times, still need dial in on seat , stem etc. First impressions are good , fit seems good and I like no TOE overlap, that's a pet peeve of mine , even though I know it tipically never comes into play, if you ride in the city and taking a few tight turns it can come into play. I sold both bikes i had that had toe overlap.
The bike is the completely wrong way around we want to actually see the important part of the bike: https://cyclingtips.com/2015/11/how-...-of-your-bike/.

Doomrider74 I would agree to a point but sometimes a little paint isn't so bad and anodizing is even better. Full paint is not so good don't want to cover it all up but a little isn't terrible.
Old 04-06-21, 08:30 PM
SotR23

Bikes: 71 Raleigh Grand Prix, 73 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Gran Sport, 72 Raleigh Competition, 79 Raleigh Competition GS, 74 Raleigh International, 78 Raleigh Professional, 36 Raleigh 3-Speed, 37 Raleigh 3-Speed, 57 Lenton Sports, 71 Raleigh DL-1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Firefly

Put down a deposit last summer to hold a spot in line. Was told I can expect to wait 18 months. Very much looking forward to the build. At 6’ 6”, I’m very much ready for a bicycle that actually fits me. For now, I just visit their website once a month and drool.

https://fireflybicycles.com/
Old 04-08-21, 12:46 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by SotR23
Put down a deposit last summer to hold a spot in line. Was told I can expect to wait 18 months. Very much looking forward to the build. At 6’ 6”, I’m very much ready for a bicycle that actually fits me. For now, I just visit their website once a month and drool.

https://fireflybicycles.com/
Absolutely reasonable pricing too. Makes the mass produced carbon stuff look out of line.
Old 04-08-21, 03:59 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I went with a Lynskey GR 300 with GRX Di2 and a wheel upgrade to a Stans Grail MK3 and their 'adventure' fork. I had been eyeballing a bike from them for a few years and was always interested in something from their GR lineup, I have an awesome road bike (also handmade) so the more mutli-purpose bike was what I was after.

Very happy with the experience and at just over $5000 for the full build, it was extremely reasonable. Considering some Ti builders are asking most of that just for a frame and I put Di2 on mine. It was about 60 days from card swipe to first ride and I was able to get in ahead of the heavy constraints that are now hitting distributors. July - September 2020 was my order to delivery window.

Likes For softreset:
Old 04-08-21, 08:07 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
For years, I've always wanted to build up a Ti frameset and it finally happened when my Lynskey Helix Disc frameset was delivered this past December. I chose the Lynskey Helix because I've always liked the design and look of the Helix tubes and once I saw the current Helix Disc had internal cable routing, I knew it was time. I first built it up using the Record 11/Praxis pieces that were on the Storck along with Juin Tech GT-F hydro/mech pull calipers. I was expecting that calm, smooth ride because of its Ti construction and it was exactly that from day 1. It's comfortable, very nimble and most of all, handling is on point which is a huge plus for me because that is one of the main characteristics I look for in a build. Even when I'm out of the saddle, pushing hard, it reacts so smoothly and sometimes think its a bit too well behaved for me or for what I've been used to from my previous carbon builds.
Happy? Without a doubt yes and even more so after being able to find the components to complete it as a full Campy H11 build.

Likes For primov8:
Old 04-08-21, 08:33 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8
For years, I've always wanted to build up a Ti frameset and it finally happened when my Lynskey Helix Disc frameset was delivered this past December. I chose the Lynskey Helix because I've always liked the design and look of the Helix tubes and once I saw the current Helix Disc had internal cable routing, I knew it was time. I first built it up using the Record 11/Praxis pieces that were on the Storck along with Juin Tech GT-F hydro/mech pull calipers. I was expecting that calm, smooth ride because of its Ti construction and it was exactly that from day 1. It's comfortable, very nimble and most of all, handling is on point which is a huge plus for me because that is one of the main characteristics I look for in a build. Even when I'm out of the saddle, pushing hard, it reacts so smoothly and sometimes think its a bit too well behaved for me or for what I've been used to from my previous carbon builds.
Happy? Without a doubt yes and even more so after being able to find the components to complete it as a full Campy H11 build.

Sick! Is that a ControlTech TiMania stem? So much Ti and carbon...luv it!
Old 04-08-21, 08:38 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Sick! Is that a ControlTech TiMania stem? So much Ti and carbon...luv it!
Thanks. Not a TiMania stem but also from Lynskey.
Old 04-10-21, 05:08 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

I'm still looking and enjoying your replies. I'm currently looking seriously at Moots, Seven, Mosaic and Firefly.
Old 04-10-21, 08:26 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I'm still looking and enjoying your replies. I'm currently looking seriously at Moots, Seven, Mosaic and Firefly.
Better hurry and order now if you want it for six gap.
Old 04-10-21, 09:27 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Got this Tuscany in '99 because it was my dream bike at the time. Replaced the group set a few years ago and I still ride it.
Old 04-11-21, 05:17 AM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
Better hurry and order now if you want it for six gap.
🤣🤣🤣 So true, but this eventual purchase will definitely not be in time for 6 Gap in September. My plan is to make a down payment sometime between January and April 2022, thinking I’ll have all the money saved by mid-to-late summer. I’ll be fine even if I don’t receive it until after that. It’ll give me some cushion in case I need to dip into my bike funds for a minor financial emergency of some sort.
Old 04-11-21, 07:39 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
T-Lab (Visceral out of Montreal) X3 Full GRX Di2 (Gravel/Endurance Geometry) and a set of wheels for every occasion. Bought Gravel for flexibility and friendly geometry. Upgraded from a 2003 Airborne Valkyrie (ti) After having it since August of last year. I would have opted for the Hue paint scheme (Beadblasted frame with brushed logos and painted accent colour on seatpost and fork) instead of the pictured Vector Scheme.

T-Lab X3

Last edited by SCTinkering; 04-11-21 at 07:43 PM. Reason: more text...
Likes For SCTinkering:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.